1024x768 resolution assistance - Debian

This is a discussion on 1024x768 resolution assistance - Debian ; Hi there, I recently had Debian 3.1 unstable version on my system, but my X windows kept on going bad. I did some diagnostics and found out that my video card was one of those that it didn't really like ...

  1. 1024x768 resolution assistance

    Hi there,

    I recently had Debian 3.1 unstable version on my system, but my X
    windows kept on going bad. I did some diagnostics and found out that my
    video card was one of those that it didn't really like that much. What
    I am wondering is for some suggestions for a video card that does work
    quite well with Debian 3.1 unstable with high resolutions. With the
    current one I have, it currently goes only 800x600 on my resolution no
    matter what I try and do.

    I had to revert to Mandrake 10.1 Community Edition for the time being
    till I can find a good enough video card that will work.

    My current video card is a GeForce 2 FX 5200 with 128mb onboard video RAM.

    Thanks...BTW, the only CD I have for my Debian system is my Network
    Install CD (which worked great). Thanks...

  2. Re: 1024x768 resolution assistance

    On Friday 27 January 2006 13:59, Richard Wegner wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I recently had Debian 3.1 unstable version on my system, but my X
    > windows kept on going bad. I did some diagnostics and found out that
    > my video card was one of those that it didn't really like that much.
    > What I am wondering is for some suggestions for a video card that
    > does work quite well with Debian 3.1 unstable with high resolutions.
    > With the current one I have, it currently goes only 800x600 on my
    > resolution no matter what I try and do.
    >
    > I had to revert to Mandrake 10.1 Community Edition for the time being
    > till I can find a good enough video card that will work.
    >
    > My current video card is a GeForce 2 FX 5200 with 128mb onboard video
    > RAM.
    >
    > Thanks...BTW, the only CD I have for my Debian system is my Network
    > Install CD (which worked great). Thanks...

    If you have a Geforce FX 5200 then that card is more than enough to run
    1024x768 I used to run my old one at 1600x1200 on dual monitors with no
    problem. What is most likely happening is that your vertical and
    horizontal refresh rates in your X config as set too low as they always
    are during install thus preventing you from getting a higher
    resolution. Edit the section of the file that is similar to what I am
    posting below and put in the actual ranges supported by the monitor a
    quick Google search on the make/model of the monitor will usually come
    up with these numbers if you do not have the manual, once edited
    restart the X server.

    # NEC P1250 +
    Section "Monitor"
    DisplaySize 384 288 # mm
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "NEC"
    ModelName "P1250 +"
    HorizSync 31-110 # DDC-probed
    VertRefresh 55-160 # DDC-probed
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    Option "BackingStore" "On"
    EndSection

    You may also need to edit the Screen section to have the actual
    resolutions you want to use for the display colour depth you are using
    make sure that you put the "1024x768" at the start of the line like
    this.

    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection

    Stephen

    --
    Debian the choice of a GNU generation

    GPG Public Key: http://users.eastlink.ca/~stephencormier/publickey.asc

  3. Re: 1024x768 resolution assistance

    On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Richard Wegner wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I recently had Debian 3.1 unstable version on my system, but my X windows
    > kept on going bad. I did some diagnostics and found out that my video card
    > was one of those that it didn't really like that much. What I am wondering
    > is for some suggestions for a video card that does work quite well with
    > Debian 3.1 unstable with high resolutions. With the current one I have, it
    > currently goes only 800x600 on my resolution no matter what I try and do.

    Actually stating what you tried, instead of leaving it to our
    imaginations, would have been good. Have you looked in
    /var/log/Xorg... which will tell you if the higher resolutions you are
    after are failing or simply not being tried (a likely scenario, as
    pointed out in another message).

    > I had to revert to Mandrake 10.1 Community Edition for the time being till I
    > can find a good enough video card that will work.

    Something working with one flavour of "Linux" but not another is most
    likely a configuration issue.

    Look up your monitor's specs, or print out the X configs used by
    Mandrake, then:

    # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

    For a typical desktop box, it shouldn't be necessary to manually edit
    X's configs unless you are doing something unusual or want to support
    weird resolutions. Generally, manually tweaking a config file which
    debconf scripts also have their fingers into can be tricky -
    especially when running unstable because those are the kind of package
    UI issues which get worked out in unstable.

    hth

    - Bruce

  4. Re: 1024x768 resolution assistance

    Am Samstag, 28. Januar 2006 23:11 schrieb Bruce Sass:
    > # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >
    > For a typical desktop box, it shouldn't be necessary to manually edit
    > X's configs unless you are doing something unusual or want to support
    > weird resolutions. Generally, manually tweaking a config file which
    > debconf scripts also have their fingers into can be tricky -
    > especially when running unstable because those are the kind of package
    > UI issues which get worked out in unstable.

    I strongly object to that. The debconf actually only cover the basics, even my
    wacom tablet needs manual editing (which is neither unusual nor a weird
    resolution). Additional, two monitors might need that too.

    HS

  5. Re: 1024x768 resolution assistance

    On Saturday 28 January 2006 18:25, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
    > Additional, two monitors might need that too.

    I have never had a choice offered to me using either XFree86 or Xorg for
    setting up a second video card/monitor during the configuration of X in
    Debian so you could change that "might" to a "will" same thing actually
    when you have two sound cards you get to configure one the other is up
    to you two network cards the same .....

    Stephen
    --
    Debian the choice of a GNU generation

    GPG Public Key: http://users.eastlink.ca/~stephencormier/publickey.asc

  6. Re: 1024x768 resolution assistance

    On Saturday 28 January 2006 5:25 pm, Hendrik Sattler wrote:

    > I strongly object to that. The debconf actually only cover the basics, even
    > my wacom tablet needs manual editing (which is neither unusual nor a weird
    > resolution). Additional, two monitors might need that too.

    Second that. I had the same problems as the OP here after switching to a new
    LCD monitor. It refused to do anything higher than 640x480, which looked
    absolutely dismal on a 19" screen hard wired for 1280x1024. I finally worked
    it out by copying bits of a KNOPPIX-generated conf file into my
    debconf-generated one. The Debian auto config bits always did the wrong
    thing no matter how many different "front door" tactics I tried. If all else
    fails, hack the thing and get it over with.

    --
    D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre ---- Silvan

    Author of Rosegarden Companion http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/

  7. Re: 1024x768 resolution assistance

    On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre wrote:

    > On Saturday 28 January 2006 5:25 pm, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
    >
    >> I strongly object to that. The debconf actually only cover the basics, even
    >> my wacom tablet needs manual editing (which is neither unusual nor a weird
    >> resolution). Additional, two monitors might need that too.

    > Second that. I had the same problems as the OP here after switching to a new
    > LCD monitor. It refused to do anything higher than 640x480, which looked
    > absolutely dismal on a 19" screen hard wired for 1280x1024. I finally worked
    > it out by copying bits of a KNOPPIX-generated conf file into my
    > debconf-generated one. The Debian auto config bits always did the wrong
    > thing no matter how many different "front door" tactics I tried. If all else
    > fails, hack the thing and get it over with.

    Of course. However, a monitor that only does 1280x1024, graphics
    tablets, and dual monitors all qualify as unusual or weird for a
    typical desktop, imo.

    Keep in mind that you are responding to someone moving from Mandrake
    to Debian/unstable who thinks that a new graphics card is required
    because Debian doesn't autoconfigure as well as Mandrake... they are
    probably already pushing their envelope (a good thing I woudn't want
    to discourage), how helpful is `edit the configs' gonna be if it is
    likely they don't even know what the "front door" or "all else" is.

    - Bruce

  8. Re: 1024x768 resolution assistance

    On Sunday 29 January 2006 6:26 am, Bruce Sass wrote:

    > Of course. However, a monitor that only does 1280x1024, graphics
    > tablets, and dual monitors all qualify as unusual or weird for a
    > typical desktop, imo.

    Well, that's probably debatable these days. I'd say single-resolution LCDs
    are the norm now, rather than the exception, and I was rather hoping it would
    just work automagically.

    However, your point overall is well-taken.