Helping the Debian Qt/KDE team - Debian

This is a discussion on Helping the Debian Qt/KDE team - Debian ; Dear Debian/KDE users, Following our long standing tradition of hijacking[0] GNOME messages[1], we're asking for your help as the GNOME guys did a while ago[2]. (No, seriously, we've been wanting to send a mail like this for a while now.) ...

  1. Helping the Debian Qt/KDE team

    Dear Debian/KDE users,

    Following our long standing tradition of hijacking[0] GNOME messages[1],
    we're asking for your help as the GNOME guys did a while ago[2]. (No,
    seriously, we've been wanting to send a mail like this for a while now.)

    Since the creation of the Qt/KDE team, the KDE packages have been in a
    reasonably good state. As you may have followed, the packaging is going
    on at a reasonable pace besides the two transitions we have had to manage,
    and we have enough manpower for packaging new KDE versions, although not as
    fast as we'd like to.

    However, it could be much better. One area where we've been constantly
    lagging behind is the handling of bugs. Of course, release-critical bugs
    or bugs that affect us directly are fixed. But lots of KDE packages are
    rotting in the BTS with piles of bugs we simply can't handle because we
    don't have the time. We don't know whether those bugs are still here, we
    don't know whether they are known upstream, we don't know how to reproduce
    them or we don't know where to start to fix them.

    That's why we're requesting help with bug triage. This is a task any of
    you can do, provided you have some time and know how to use the BTS and
    Bugzilla.

    What can you do to help? Start with this query[3].
    Here, you can look for packages needing attention. High numbers in the
    bug columns are a good hint. If you have filed bugs against KDE packages
    in the past, it may be better to check your own bugs [4] to see whether
    they still apply.

    What to do to deal with a specific bug:
    * Check whether you can reproduce the bug. If it's meant to be
    easily reproducible, check whether it can be reproduced with the
    latest version.
    * Check whether a similar bug has been reported in
    http://bugs.kde.org/ and whether it has a patch available.
    * Check for a fix in the KDE SVN tree [5]. You don't need to grab
    patches if you're not used to, pointing us at the relevant change is
    enough.
    * Forward the bug if it isn't reported there. Don't forget to add
    debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org in the Bugzilla Cc field.

    If you think a bug is already fixed, you should close it by sending a mail
    to nnn-done@bugs.debian.org including the version which fixed the bug with
    a Version: pseudo-header and the reason you think the bug should be closed.
    Otherwise, once you have an idea of what can be done to fix the bug (a patch,
    a SVN log, an idea on how to change the package), please send a message to
    nnn@bugs.debian.org explaining the fix. If it's a really important bug,
    one that should get fixed ASAP since it's making KDE much less usable for
    our users, the best way to get the bug fixed is to find some maintainers on
    #debian-qt-kde@freenode and harass them until the fix is in our SVN
    repository.

    In short, if you're willing to improve KDE in Debian, your
    contribution is welcome. Of course, people more familiar with KDE
    packaging are welcome to join the team itself to work on the packages.

    [0] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=113662599719724&w=2
    [1]
    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/deskt.../msg00033.html
    [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-g.../msg00037.html
    [3] http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?l...sts.debian.org
    [4] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgre...r.mail@address
    [5] http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/

    The Debian Qt/KDE maintainers

  2. Re: Helping the Debian Qt/KDE team

    Isaac Clerencia wrote:

    > Forward the bug if it isn't reported there. Don't forget to add
    > debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org in the Bugzilla Cc field.

    I just tried to do this on an existing bug in the KDE tracker that isn't in
    Debian, but it said, "The name debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org is not a
    valid username. Either you misspelled it, or the person has not registered
    for a Bugzilla account."

  3. Re: Helping the Debian Qt/KDE team

    * Adam Porter [Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:53:54 -0600]:

    > Isaac Clerencia wrote:

    > > Forward the bug if it isn't reported there. Don't forget to add
    > > debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org in the Bugzilla Cc field.

    > I just tried to do this on an existing bug in the KDE tracker that isn't in
    > Debian, but it said, "The name debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org is not a
    > valid username. Either you misspelled it, or the person has not registered
    > for a Bugzilla account."

    Gah, we missed that. Try pkg-kde-bugs-fwd@lists.alioth.debian.org
    instead.

    Thanks,

    Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
    Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

    - George, they're missing.
    - Splendid, splendid.
    -- Mrs and Mr Banks in «Mary Poppins»

  4. Re: Helping the Debian Qt/KDE team

    * Adam Porter [Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:53:54 -0600]:

    > Isaac Clerencia wrote:

    > > Forward the bug if it isn't reported there. Don't forget to add
    > > debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org in the Bugzilla Cc field.

    > I just tried to do this on an existing bug in the KDE tracker that isn't in
    > Debian,

    Oh, btw. What do you mean "that isn't in Debian"? Just to make it
    clear, the CC should be added to bugs to which an _existing_ Debian
    bug is forwarded to.

    Cheers,

    Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
    Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

    Te has enfadado conmigo / porque te dejo / Es injusto
    No quieres volver a verme / porque no quiero / que estemos juntos
    Estás siendo ego*sta / no has penseado que me quedo / solo yo también
    -- Astrud, Caridad