Re: error Composite extension not found - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: error Composite extension not found - Debian ; Hemal Pandya wrote: > Good morning all, > > I am new to linux so please pardon if this a dumb question or I have > failed to look for the solution in some obvious place. > > I have ...

  1. Re: error Composite extension not found

    Hemal Pandya wrote:
    > Good morning all,
    >
    > I am new to linux so please pardon if this a dumb question or I have
    > failed to look for the solution in some obvious place.
    >
    > I have installed debian testing (etch) and after some effort was able
    > to get kdm and KDE running on start-up. I did some configurations,
    > details of which I do not remember, but since then after start up I
    > get the two error pop-ups.
    >
    > The first says Composite Manager crashed twice in one minute and has
    > been disabled for this session. The second pop-up says:
    > Composite extension not found.
    > You must use XOrg >= 6.8 for translucency and shadows to work.
    > Additionally, you need to add a new section to your X config file:
    > Section "Extensions"
    > Option "Composite" "Enable"
    > EndSection
    >
    > My questions are as follows:
    >
    > What is composite manager?

    An addition to the X-window system which allows it to use the graphics
    hardware more efficiently when doing things like displaying translucent
    windows. Otherwise these things would be much slower and need a lot of
    CPU time.

    > How do I find out which version of XOrg I am using?

    Run "X -version" from a terminal.

    > Can I upgrade to XOrg >= 6.8> How?

    If you have an up-to-date Etch you have XOrg 6.8 already; XOrg 6.9 is
    currently only in Sid. (KDE does not check for your XOrg version before
    it displays the error message.)

    > How do i turn off Composite Manager.

    Go to "K-Menu > Control Center > Desktop > Window Behavior >
    Translucency" and uncheck the "Use translucency/shadows" box. If you are
    new to Linux it is probably better to leave this feature alone for now.

    Regards,
    Florian

  2. Re: error Composite extension not found

    On 1/26/06, Florian Kulzer wrote:
    [...]

    Thanks for the tips, Florian. It solved my problem.

+ Reply to Thread