Kontact / Kmail crash on start up - Debian

This is a discussion on Kontact / Kmail crash on start up - Debian ; Hi, I'm running AMD64 sid and I am experiencing an exceedingly annoying problem with Kontact. I think the problem is actually Kmail as when I try and run Kmail on it's own I see the same problem. Anyway, the symptoms: ...

  1. Kontact / Kmail crash on start up

    Hi,

    I'm running AMD64 sid and I am experiencing an exceedingly annoying problem
    with Kontact. I think the problem is actually Kmail as when I try and run
    Kmail on it's own I see the same problem. Anyway, the symptoms:

    When I start Kontact almost immediately exits with a SIGSEGV. It last just
    about long enough to flash up the window before exiting. Starting it from the
    command line doesn't really show anything useful (Sorry I forgot to get the
    output). Repeatedly opening kontact or kmail shows exactly the same behaviour
    every time.

    The only way I have found to fix this is to open thunderbird (or another mail
    client) and move the message in the inbox into another folder (eg delete my
    spam). Then kmail works fine. Thinking it was choking on one of the messages
    I tried moving them back into the inbox to see if that would trigger the
    problem again - it didn't.

    The most annoying part of the problem, however, is that kmail forgets some of
    it's settings when this problem occurs. In particular it forgets all per
    directory settings such as expiry times and "act on new mail in this folder"
    settings.

    Does anyone have any idea what is going on? More specifically any idea on how
    I can stop this happening )

    Cheers,
    Graham

  2. Re: Kontact / Kmail crash on start up

    Am Donnerstag, 26. Januar 2006 09:45 schrieb Graham Smith:
    > Does anyone have any idea what is going on? More specifically any idea on
    > how I can stop this happening )

    start kmail from the kosole and watch the messages

    check the permissions on your files ~/mail and /.kde/...

  3. Re: Kontact / Kmail crash on start up

    On Thursday 26 January 2006 18:02, ueber.ana@suisse.org wrote:
    > Am Donnerstag, 26. Januar 2006 09:45 schrieb Graham Smith:
    > > Does anyone have any idea what is going on? More specifically any idea on
    > > how I can stop this happening )

    > start kmail from the kosole and watch the messages
    >
    > check the permissions on your files ~/mail and /.kde/...

    Hi, thanks for the help. I have a some more information about the problem...

    My main Kmail account is am IMAP account connecting to a Courier IMAP server
    (which I run). The problem only seems to occur after I first start the
    computer and seems to be associated with new messages in the inbox. For
    instance, this morning the problem happened again and my work around (moving
    the messages with thunderbird) worked perfectly again.

    Oddly though this morning it didn't loose all the settings. Folders that I
    threaded yesterday are still threaded today.

    I checked the permissions of ~/Mail and ~/.kde and their sub-folders and they
    are fine read write me and nothing for anyone else. I forgot to start Kmail
    from the command line again to get the output but I will do that next time
    the problem surfaces (tomorrow morning). This problem is driving me nuts )

    Graham

  4. Re: Kontact / Kmail crash on start up

    I believe this is a known bug; check KDE bug 106030. I had to downgrade to
    1.8.3 for now. Contribute some backtraces if you want, and definitely vote
    for the bug.