artsd sound recorder directly saving to wav? - Debian

This is a discussion on artsd sound recorder directly saving to wav? - Debian ; Hi, I am in the process of recording all of my old tapes to the computer. I don't care much about the quality (there are old tapes after all), but there is huge amount of data involved. Tried krec, but ...

  1. artsd sound recorder directly saving to wav?

    Hi,

    I am in the process of recording all of my old tapes to the computer. I
    don't care much about the quality (there are old tapes after all), but
    there is huge amount of data involved. Tried krec, but it is really weird
    to have effectively play each song twice, because export to wav apparently
    is not that faster then original recording. Then tried audacity, but it
    doesn't work with artsd running, and I wasn't able to make it work anyway
    with my ALSA drivers (does it work with ALSA at all?). Then in the sheer
    desperation I tried

    artsrec -r 48000 -b 16 -c 2 out.wav

    but I cannot make even artsplay play out.wav.

    Can anybody help?

    Thanks,

    Matej

  2. Re: artsd sound recorder directly saving to wav?

    On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 02:54 am, Matej Cepl wrote:

    > [...] Tried krec, but it is really weird
    > to have effectively play each song twice, because export to wav apparently
    > is not that faster then original recording. Then tried audacity, but it
    > doesn't work with artsd running, and I wasn't able to make it work anyway
    > with my ALSA drivers (does it work with ALSA at all?). Then in the sheer
    > desperation I tried
    >
    > artsrec -r 48000 -b 16 -c 2 out.wav
    >
    > but I cannot make even artsplay play out.wav.
    >[...]

    I'm running testing with the normal alsa modules for my soundcard, which uses
    the snd_intel8x0 module; I don't usually run arts, but with or without it I
    find Audacity works fine for recording. Not much comfort in that for you,
    though!

    Make sure all the right things are on and up in Kmix: master, pcm, line, and
    capture ( just checking ). Your card may have more or fewer than these to
    consider.

    A few more details about your setup may help: Which card? Does other sound
    work? Which sound modules do you have loaded? What settings are you using in
    Control Center... > Sound system?

    You may need a .asoundrc file (see alsaproject.org), but I doubt it.

    There's a program called snd I'd like to suggest: it doesn't look fancy but
    has a lot of features while still easy to use for basic things; and it seems
    to work without any fiddling. (You also need snd-gtk-alsa for the GUI. ) It
    records direct to wav. and seems to run whether arts is present or not.

    HTH,

    John

  3. Re: artsd sound recorder directly saving to wav?

    Matej Cepl wrote:
    > I am in the process of recording all of my old tapes to the computer. I
    > don't care much about the quality (there are old tapes after all), but
    > there is huge amount of data involved. Tried krec, but it is really weird
    > to have effectively play each song twice, because export to wav apparently
    > is not that faster then original recording. Then tried audacity, but it
    > doesn't work with artsd running, and I wasn't able to make it work anyway
    > with my ALSA drivers (does it work with ALSA at all?). Then in the sheer
    > desperation I tried

    I will answer to myself -- krecord seems to work OK.

    matej

    I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with
    great pleasure.
    -- Clarence Darrow