Problems with hal, devices and udev - Debian

This is a discussion on Problems with hal, devices and udev - Debian ; Hi, I have two boxes with a mix version of etch and sid. I would like to have kde 3.5 and the feature to plug a pen drive and appears a magical windows asking you what do want to do. ...

  1. Problems with hal, devices and udev

    Hi,

    I have two boxes with a mix version of etch and sid. I would like to have kde
    3.5 and the feature to plug a pen drive and appears a magical windows asking
    you what do want to do. However, I have two problems and really, after
    googling some time, I don't have any idea to solve it.

    The packages:
    ii linux-image-2.6.15-1-686-smp 2.6.15-2
    in another without smp, but I don't think that it's an important issue.
    ii hal 0.5.5.1-5
    ii hal-device-manager 0.5.5.1-5
    ii libhal-storage1 0.5.5.1-5
    ii libhal1 0.5.5.1-5

    and a kde3.5

    in the fstab no /sys, etc .

    First, when the box is booting, it stoped in:
    Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udevd

    in both boxes
    so I have to ctrl+c to continue booting and finally, the the kdm is up,
    manually do a /etc/init.d/udev start without any problem. Why?

    And second, I can plug a device, it appears in syslog, etc, but no windows
    appears. What I'm doing wrong?

    Regards,

    Leo

  2. Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

    Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two boxes with a mix version of etch and sid. I would like to have kde
    > 3.5 and the feature to plug a pen drive and appears a magical windows asking
    > you what do want to do. However, I have two problems and really, after
    > googling some time, I don't have any idea to solve it.
    >
    > The packages:
    > ii linux-image-2.6.15-1-686-smp 2.6.15-2
    > in another without smp, but I don't think that it's an important issue.
    > ii hal 0.5.5.1-5
    > ii hal-device-manager 0.5.5.1-5
    > ii libhal-storage1 0.5.5.1-5
    > ii libhal1 0.5.5.1-5
    >
    > and a kde3.5

    Just some things to check: Make sure that you have the package "dbus"
    installed and not "dbus-1". (This should have been done automatically by
    apt-get/aptitude for your version of hal, though.) Likewise, see about
    package "libdbus-glib-1-2" which replaces package "dbus-glib-1", and
    make sure that you have udev version 0.081-1. Also, if you have an older
    installation which used to have hotplug earlier, I think it is important
    that you purge the hotplug configuration files, otherwise there can be
    problems with udev.

    > in the fstab no /sys, etc .
    >
    > First, when the box is booting, it stoped in:
    > Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udevd
    >
    > in both boxes
    > so I have to ctrl+c to continue booting and finally, the the kdm is up,
    > manually do a /etc/init.d/udev start without any problem. Why?

    Maybe one of the things I mentioned above is causing this behavior.

    > And second, I can plug a device, it appears in syslog, etc, but no windows
    > appears. What I'm doing wrong?

    You need to install the package "pmount" and add your user to the group
    "plugdev". Then you should be able to activate "automatic" desktop icons
    for your pluggable devices in the "KDE Control Center > Desktop >
    Behavior > Device Icons" dialog.

    Regards,
    Florian

  3. Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

    A Dilluns 23 Gener 2006 13:49, Florian Kulzer va escriure:
    > Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have two boxes with a mix version of etch and sid. I would like to have
    > > kde 3.5 and the feature to plug a pen drive and appears a magical windows
    > > asking you what do want to do. However, I have two problems and really,
    > > after googling some time, I don't have any idea to solve it.
    > >
    > > The packages:
    > > ii linux-image-2.6.15-1-686-smp 2.6.15-2
    > > in another without smp, but I don't think that it's an important issue.
    > > ii hal 0.5.5.1-5
    > > ii hal-device-manager 0.5.5.1-5
    > > ii libhal-storage1 0.5.5.1-5
    > > ii libhal1 0.5.5.1-5
    > >
    > > and a kde3.5

    > Just some things to check: Make sure that you have the package "dbus"
    > installed and not "dbus-1". (This should have been done automatically by
    > apt-get/aptitude for your version of hal, though.) Likewise, see about
    > package "libdbus-glib-1-2" which replaces package "dbus-glib-1", and
    > make sure that you have udev version 0.081-1. Also, if you have an older
    > installation which used to have hotplug earlier, I think it is important
    > that you purge the hotplug configuration files, otherwise there can be
    > problems with udev.

    ii udev 0.081-1

    and hotplug purged.

    dbus installed, not dbus-1.

    > > in the fstab no /sys, etc .
    > >
    > > First, when the box is booting, it stoped in:
    > > Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udevd
    > >
    > > in both boxes
    > > so I have to ctrl+c to continue booting and finally, the the kdm is up,
    > > manually do a /etc/init.d/udev start without any problem. Why?

    > Maybe one of the things I mentioned above is causing this behavior.

    no lucky ..... it continues ..... :-(

    > > And second, I can plug a device, it appears in syslog, etc, but no
    > > windows appears. What I'm doing wrong?

    > You need to install the package "pmount" and add your user to the group
    > "plugdev". Then you should be able to activate "automatic" desktop icons
    > for your pluggable devices in the "KDE Control Center > Desktop >
    > Behavior > Device Icons" dialog.

    also, it doesn't work ..... really I begin to be a bit desesperately. It
    really bothers me that a boy near me with redhat can mount pen drive with a
    nice window without any problem and I with debian can't !!

    Regards,

    Leo

  4. Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

    Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
    [...]
    >>>And second, I can plug a device, it appears in syslog, etc, but no
    >>>windows appears. What I'm doing wrong?

    >>You need to install the package "pmount" and add your user to the group
    >>"plugdev". Then you should be able to activate "automatic" desktop icons
    >>for your pluggable devices in the "KDE Control Center > Desktop >
    >>Behavior > Device Icons" dialog.

    > also, it doesn't work ..... really I begin to be a bit desesperately. It
    > really bothers me that a boy near me with redhat can mount pen drive with a
    > nice window without any problem and I with debian can't !!

    I would have expected that KDE will manage to put an icon on the desktop
    if the device shows up in the syslog. Did you try to use pmount from the
    konsole to see if it works, e.g. "pmount /dev/sda1 usb"? Then the device
    should be mounted under /media/usb. Maybe you will get an error message
    that helps to identify the cause of the problem.

    If pmount works on its own then the problem is with KDE. I think you
    mentioned in your first mail that you run a "mixed testing/unstable"
    system. Maybe it is worthwhile to check that you do not have any old KDE
    3.4 libraries left installed anywhere, e.g. with
    dpkg -l "*" | grep -i kde | grep 3.4

    You could also consider using the package "usbmount". I have no
    experience with it myself, but I remember some people on debian-user
    recommending it.

    Regards,
    Florian

  5. Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

    A Dilluns 23 Gener 2006 20:21, Florian Kulzer va escriure:
    > Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
    > [...]
    > >>
    > >>You need to install the package "pmount" and add your user to the group
    > >>"plugdev". Then you should be able to activate "automatic" desktop icons
    > >>for your pluggable devices in the "KDE Control Center > Desktop >
    > >>Behavior > Device Icons" dialog.

    > > also, it doesn't work ..... really I begin to be a bit desesperately. It
    > > really bothers me that a boy near me with redhat can mount pen drive with
    > > a nice window without any problem and I with debian can't !!

    > I would have expected that KDE will manage to put an icon on the desktop
    > if the device shows up in the syslog. Did you try to use pmount from the
    > konsole to see if it works, e.g. "pmount /dev/sda1 usb"? Then the device
    > should be mounted under /media/usb. Maybe you will get an error message
    > that helps to identify the cause of the problem.

    Well, it works and no message is prompted. Running it with debug options show
    this:

    palomo@lira:~$ pmount -d /dev/sda1 usb
    resolved /dev/sda1 to device /dev/sda1
    mount point to be used: /media/usb
    no iocharset given, current locale encoding is ANSI_X3.4-1968
    Cleaning lock directory /var/lock/pmount/_dev_sda1
    device_whitelist: checking /etc/pmount.allow...
    device_whitlisted(): nothing matched, returning 0
    find_sysfs_device: looking for sysfs directory for device 8:1
    find_sysfs_device: checking whether /dev/sda1 is on /sys/block/sda (8:0)
    find_sysfs_device: major device numbers match
    find_sysfs_device: minor device numbers do not match, checking partitions...
    find_sysfs_device: checking whether device /dev/sda1 matches partition 8:0
    find_sysfs_device: checking whether device /dev/sda1 matches partition 8:1
    find_sysfs_device: -> partition matches, belongs to block
    device /sys/block/sda
    device_removable: corresponding block device for /dev/sda1 is /sys/block/sda
    get_blockdev_attr: value of /sys/block/sda/removable == 1
    policy check passed
    spawnv(): executing /sbin/cryptsetup '/sbin/cryptsetup' 'isLuks' '/dev/sda1'
    spawn(): /sbin/cryptsetup terminated with status 255
    device is not LUKS encrypted, or cryptsetup with LUKS support is not installed
    locking mount point directory
    mount point directory locked
    spawnv(): executing /bin/mount '/bin/mount' '-t' 'udf' '-o'
    'nosuid,nodev,user,async,atime,noexec,uid=1003,gid =1003,umask=007'
    '/dev/sda1' '/media/usb'
    spawn(): /bin/mount terminated with status 32
    spawnv(): executing /bin/mount '/bin/mount' '-t' 'iso9660' '-o'
    'nosuid,nodev,user,async,atime,noexec,uid=1003,gid =1003' '/dev/sda1'
    '/media/usb'
    spawn(): /bin/mount terminated with status 32
    spawnv(): executing /bin/mount '/bin/mount' '-t' 'vfat' '-o'
    'nosuid,nodev,user,quiet,shortname=mixed,async,ati me,noexec,uid=1003,gid=1003,umask=077'
    '/dev/sda1' '/media/usb'
    spawn(): /bin/mount terminated with status 0
    unlocking mount point directory
    mount point directory unlocked

    > If pmount works on its own then the problem is with KDE. I think you
    > mentioned in your first mail that you run a "mixed testing/unstable"
    > system. Maybe it is worthwhile to check that you do not have any old KDE
    > 3.4 libraries left installed anywhere, e.g. with
    > dpkg -l "*" | grep -i kde | grep 3.4

    I have purged all the old packages and the problem continues ...

    > You could also consider using the package "usbmount". I have no
    > experience with it myself, but I remember some people on debian-user
    > recommending it.

    I have installed it but I would prefer to have a window asking what to do.

    There are some questions also, I have found that you cannot have any device
    that mount in /sys. I have had some devices and I have comment it in the
    fstab (and also the /dev/sda that pmount said that there was a problem) and
    reboot, etc.... but if I do a cat /etc/mtab I found this:

    proc /proc proc rw 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
    binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0

    this is normal?

    Regards,

    and thank's for your patience.

    Leo

  6. Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

    Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
    [...]
    > Well, it works and no message is prompted. Running it with debug options show
    > this:
    >
    > palomo@lira:~$ pmount -d /dev/sda1 usb
    > resolved /dev/sda1 to device /dev/sda1
    > mount point to be used: /media/usb
    > no iocharset given, current locale encoding is ANSI_X3.4-1968
    > Cleaning lock directory /var/lock/pmount/_dev_sda1
    > device_whitelist: checking /etc/pmount.allow...
    > device_whitlisted(): nothing matched, returning 0
    > find_sysfs_device: looking for sysfs directory for device 8:1
    > find_sysfs_device: checking whether /dev/sda1 is on /sys/block/sda (8:0)
    > find_sysfs_device: major device numbers match
    > find_sysfs_device: minor device numbers do not match, checking partitions...
    > find_sysfs_device: checking whether device /dev/sda1 matches partition 8:0
    > find_sysfs_device: checking whether device /dev/sda1 matches partition 8:1
    > find_sysfs_device: -> partition matches, belongs to block
    > device /sys/block/sda
    > device_removable: corresponding block device for /dev/sda1 is /sys/block/sda
    > get_blockdev_attr: value of /sys/block/sda/removable == 1
    > policy check passed
    > spawnv(): executing /sbin/cryptsetup '/sbin/cryptsetup' 'isLuks' '/dev/sda1'
    > spawn(): /sbin/cryptsetup terminated with status 255
    > device is not LUKS encrypted, or cryptsetup with LUKS support is not installed
    > locking mount point directory
    > mount point directory locked
    > spawnv(): executing /bin/mount '/bin/mount' '-t' 'udf' '-o'
    > 'nosuid,nodev,user,async,atime,noexec,uid=1003,gid =1003,umask=007'
    > '/dev/sda1' '/media/usb'
    > spawn(): /bin/mount terminated with status 32
    > spawnv(): executing /bin/mount '/bin/mount' '-t' 'iso9660' '-o'
    > 'nosuid,nodev,user,async,atime,noexec,uid=1003,gid =1003' '/dev/sda1'
    > '/media/usb'
    > spawn(): /bin/mount terminated with status 32
    > spawnv(): executing /bin/mount '/bin/mount' '-t' 'vfat' '-o'
    > 'nosuid,nodev,user,quiet,shortname=mixed,async,ati me,noexec,uid=1003,gid=1003,umask=077'
    > '/dev/sda1' '/media/usb'
    > spawn(): /bin/mount terminated with status 0
    > unlocking mount point directory
    > mount point directory unlocked

    Well, that looks like everything is OK with pmount. So I would assume
    that the problem is that udev does not use dbus properly to notify KDE
    about the fact that a new device was plugged in. Unfortunately I have no
    knowledge about how exactly this works, so I have no idea about the best
    way to approach this issue. You might find useful info in the links
    given in the following mail:
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2.../msg00410.html

    >>If pmount works on its own then the problem is with KDE. I think you
    >>mentioned in your first mail that you run a "mixed testing/unstable"
    >>system. Maybe it is worthwhile to check that you do not have any old KDE
    >>3.4 libraries left installed anywhere, e.g. with
    >>dpkg -l "*" | grep -i kde | grep 3.4

    > I have purged all the old packages and the problem continues ...

    When I plug in a USB device, I immediately see some harddisk access
    (syslog etc.) and then, after 1-2 seconds, there is a short spike in CPU
    activity and the icon appears on my desktop. Do you observe something
    similar on your system? If so, are there any related error messages in
    ~/.xsession-errors? Note that you also need to have the option for the
    "unmounted removable device" checked in the KDE Control Center, since
    the device is only mounted after you click on the icon. (I assume you
    have figured this out yourself already, but I want to make sure that
    your problem is not due to a simple misunderstanding...)

    > There are some questions also, I have found that you cannot have any device
    > that mount in /sys. I have had some devices and I have comment it in the
    > fstab (and also the /dev/sda that pmount said that there was a problem) and
    > reboot, etc.... but if I do a cat /etc/mtab I found this:

    > proc /proc proc rw 0 0
    > sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
    > devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    > tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    > usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
    > binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
    >
    > this is normal?

    Yes, it is the same on my computers. These are "pseudo-filesystems"
    which allow you to read and set certain properties of your system. For
    example, if you do "cat /proc/cpuinfo" you will get information about
    your CPU, but this info is not stored anywhere on a harddisk, but rather
    provided on the fly by the kernel whenever that particular "file" is
    accessed.

    Regards,
    Florian

  7. Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

    A Dimarts 24 Gener 2006 14:03, Florian Kulzer va escriure:
    [.......]
    > Well, that looks like everything is OK with pmount. So I would assume
    > that the problem is that udev does not use dbus properly to notify KDE
    > about the fact that a new device was plugged in. Unfortunately I have no
    > knowledge about how exactly this works, so I have no idea about the best
    > way to approach this issue. You might find useful info in the links
    > given in the following mail:
    > http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2.../msg00410.html

    Ok, there are a lot of mails, but I will see if I find something.

    > >>If pmount works on its own then the problem is with KDE. I think you
    > >>mentioned in your first mail that you run a "mixed testing/unstable"
    > >>system. Maybe it is worthwhile to check that you do not have any old KDE
    > >>3.4 libraries left installed anywhere, e.g. with
    > >>dpkg -l "*" | grep -i kde | grep 3.4

    > > I have purged all the old packages and the problem continues ...

    > When I plug in a USB device, I immediately see some harddisk access
    > (syslog etc.) and then, after 1-2 seconds, there is a short spike in CPU
    > activity and the icon appears on my desktop. Do you observe something
    > similar on your system?

    yes but not the icon. It's strange to me, because in my box at home, appears a
    nice windows asking about what to do with the device...

    > If so, are there any related error messages in
    > ~/.xsession-errors?

    well, the last messages aren't about any of udev, etc.

    > Note that you also need to have the option for the
    > "unmounted removable device" checked in the KDE Control Center, since
    > the device is only mounted after you click on the icon. (I assume you
    > have figured this out yourself already, but I want to make sure that
    > your problem is not due to a simple misunderstanding...)

    Ok, it's active. It's ok, very ok to comment it because I have the suspicious
    that it's a stupid thing. I have realized that in konqueror I have not any
    devices i the toolbar of the left, and I don't know why. Maybe it's something
    about the problem ....

    > > proc /proc proc rw 0 0
    > > sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
    > > devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    > > tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    > > usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
    > > binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
    > >
    > > this is normal?

    > Yes, it is the same on my computers. These are "pseudo-filesystems"
    > which allow you to read and set certain properties of your system. For
    > example, if you do "cat /proc/cpuinfo" you will get information about
    > your CPU, but this info is not stored anywhere on a harddisk, but rather
    > provided on the fly by the kernel whenever that particular "file" is
    > accessed.

    thank's Florian, really thank's,

    regards,

    Leo

  8. Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

    Well.... I have two mixed systems. On one it works on the other, it doesn't.
    I've been trying to figure out why is doesn't on the one system to no avail.

    I'll compare package version numbers.,..

    Chris

    --
    C. Hurschler

  9. Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

    Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
    [...]

    >>When I plug in a USB device, I immediately see some harddisk access
    >>(syslog etc.) and then, after 1-2 seconds, there is a short spike in CPU
    >>activity and the icon appears on my desktop. Do you observe something
    >>similar on your system?

    > yes but not the icon. It's strange to me, because in my box at home, appears a
    > nice windows asking about what to do with the device...

    This has reminded me of something else: Check if the option "Enable HAL
    Backend" is activated in the "KDE Control Center > Peripherals > Storage
    Media > Advanced" menu. I do not remember anymore if this was activated
    automatically or if I had to do it manually. The "Notifications" menu
    might also be relevant.

    [...]

    > Ok, it's active. It's ok, very ok to comment it because I have the suspicious
    > that it's a stupid thing. I have realized that in konqueror I have not any
    > devices i the toolbar of the left, and I don't know why. Maybe it's something
    > about the problem ....

    I think this is an unrelated bug. I also "lost" my devices in konqueror
    when I went from hotplug to udev. Now I get a "Protocol not supported"
    error whenever I click on the devices icon, but my pluggable device
    icons on the desktop still work. Therefore I think you don't have to
    worry about this right now.

    Regards,
    Florian

  10. Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

    On Tuesday 24 January 2006 17:29, Chris wrote:
    > Well.... I have two mixed systems. On one it works on the other, it
    > doesn't. I've been trying to figure out why is doesn't on the one system to
    > no avail.
    >
    > I'll compare package version numbers.,..
    >
    > Chris

    I found that updating udev and hal to unstable got things working with KDE
    3.5!!! The version numbers I have installed for that stuff is at the bottom
    of this list.

    A few days ago Florian Kulzer wrote a nice email on getting devices to show in
    panel or on the desktop. The only differences I noticed to what he wrote is
    that dbus-1 seems to get replaced by dbus in unstable.

    Chris

    ii kde-icons-crystal 3.7-2 Crystal icon
    theme for KDE
    ii kde-icons-crystalclear 0.0.20050623-1 Everaldo's
    "Crystal Clear" icon theme for KDE
    ii kde-icons-mono 3.5.0-3 a
    monochromatic icons theme for KDE
    ii kde-icons-noia 1.0-2 Noia icon
    theme for KDE 3
    ii kde-icons-nuovext 1.6-1 nuoveXT icon
    theme for KDE
    ii kde-icons-nuvola 1.0.0-1 Nuvola icon
    theme for KDE3
    ii kde-servicemenus-kim 0.6.1-1 Kde service
    menu for Image manipulation
    ii kdeadmin 3.5.0-4 system
    adminstration tools from the official KDE release
    ii kdeadmin-kfile-plugins 3.5.0-4 KDE file
    metainfo plugins for deb and rpm files
    ii kdeartwork 3.5.0.dfsg.1-2 themes, styles
    and more from the official KDE release
    ii kdeartwork-emoticons 3.5.0.dfsg.1-2 emoticon
    collections for KDE chat clients
    ii kdeartwork-misc 3.5.0.dfsg.1-2 various
    multimedia goodies released with KDE
    ii kdeartwork-style 3.5.0.dfsg.1-2 widget styles
    released with KDE
    ii kdeartwork-theme-icon 3.5.0.dfsg.1-2 icon themes
    released with KDE
    ii kdeartwork-theme-window 3.5.0.dfsg.1-2 window
    decoration themes released with KDE
    ii kdebase 3.5.0-4 base
    components from the official KDE release
    ii kdebase-bin 3.5.0-4 core binaries
    for the KDE base module
    ii kdebase-data 3.5.0-4 shared data
    files for the KDE base module
    ii kdebase-kio-plugins 3.5.0-4 core I/O
    slaves for KDE
    ii kdebluetooth 0.99+1.0beta1-6+b1 KDE Bluetooth
    Framework
    ii kdegames-card-data 3.4.3-2 Card decks for
    KDE games
    ii kdegraphics 3.5.0-3 graphics apps
    from the official KDE release
    ii kdegraphics-kfile-plugins 3.5.0-3 KDE metainfo
    plugins for graphic files
    ii kdelibs 3.5.0-3 core libraries
    from the official KDE release
    ii kdelibs-bin 3.5.0-3 core binaries
    for all KDE applications
    ii kdelibs-data 3.5.0-3 core shared
    data for all KDE applications
    ii kdelibs4c2a 3.5.0-3 core libraries
    for all KDE applications
    ii kdelirc 3.5.0-3 infrared
    control for KDE
    ii kdemultimedia 3.5.0-3 multimedia
    apps from the official KDE release
    ii kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data 3.5.0-3 multimedia
    data for kappfinder
    ii kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins 3.5.0-3
    au/avi/m3u/mp3/ogg/wav plugins for kfile
    ii kdemultimedia-kio-plugins 3.5.0-3 enables the
    browsing of audio CDs under Konqueror
    ii kdenetwork 3.5.0-3
    network-related apps from the official KDE release
    ii kdenetwork-filesharing 3.5.0-3 network
    filesharing configuration module for KDE
    ii kdenetwork-kfile-plugins 3.5.0-3 torrent
    metainfo plugin for KDE
    ii kdepasswd 3.5.0-4 password
    changer for KDE
    ii kdepim 3.5.0-5 KDE Personal
    Information Management metapackage
    ii kdepim-kfile-plugins 3.5.0-5 KDE File
    dialog plugins for palm and vcf files
    ii kdepim-kio-plugins 3.5.0-5 KDE pim I/O
    Slaves
    ii kdepim-kresources 3.5.0-5 KDE pim
    resource plugins
    ii kdepim-wizards 3.5.0-5 KDE server
    configuration wizards
    ii kdeprint 3.5.0-4 print system
    for KDE
    ii kdesktop 3.5.0-4 miscellaneous
    binaries and files for the KDE desktop
    ii kdessh 3.5.0-3 ssh frontend
    for KDE
    ii kdetoys 3.5.0-3 toys from the
    official KDE release
    ii kdeutils 3.5.0-3 general
    purpose utilities from the official KDE release
    ii kdewallpapers 3.5.0.dfsg.1-2 wallpapers
    released with KDE
    ii libkdepim1a 3.5.0-5 KDE PIM
    library
    ii liblockdev1 1.0.2-1 Run-time
    shared library for locking devices
    ii openoffice.org-kde 2.0.0-5 KDE
    Integration for OpenOffice.org (Widgets, Dialogs, Addressboo
    ii udev 0.076-6 /dev/ and
    hotplug management daemon
    ii hal 0.5.5.1-5 Hardware
    Abstraction Layer
    ii libhal-storage1 0.5.5.1-5 Hardware
    Abstraction Layer - shared library for storage devices
    ii libhal1 0.5.5.1-5 Hardware
    Abstraction Layer - shared library
    ii dbus 0.60-5 simple
    interprocess messaging system
    ii libdbus-1-2 0.60-5 simple
    interprocess messaging system
    ii libdbus-glib-1-2 0.60-5 simple
    interprocess messaging system (GLib-based shared library)
    ii libdbus-qt-1-1c2 0.60-5 simple
    interprocess messaging system (Qt-based shared library)
    ii pmount 0.9.7-2 mount
    removable devices as normal user

    --
    C. Hurschler

    --
    C. Hurschler

  11. Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

    A Dimarts 24 Gener 2006 20:19, Florian Kulzer va escriure:
    > Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
    > [...]
    >
    > >>When I plug in a USB device, I immediately see some harddisk access
    > >>(syslog etc.) and then, after 1-2 seconds, there is a short spike in CPU
    > >>activity and the icon appears on my desktop. Do you observe something
    > >>similar on your system?

    > > yes but not the icon. It's strange to me, because in my box at home,
    > > appears a nice windows asking about what to do with the device...

    > This has reminded me of something else: Check if the option "Enable HAL
    > Backend" is activated in the "KDE Control Center > Peripherals > Storage
    > Media > Advanced" menu. I do not remember anymore if this was activated
    > automatically or if I had to do it manually. The "Notifications" menu
    > might also be relevant.

    yes, it's actived ....

    > [...]
    >
    > > Ok, it's active. It's ok, very ok to comment it because I have the
    > > suspicious that it's a stupid thing. I have realized that in konqueror I
    > > have not any devices i the toolbar of the left, and I don't know why.
    > > Maybe it's something about the problem ....

    > I think this is an unrelated bug. I also "lost" my devices in konqueror
    > when I went from hotplug to udev. Now I get a "Protocol not supported"
    > error whenever I click on the devices icon, but my pluggable device
    > icons on the desktop still work. Therefore I think you don't have to
    > worry about this right now.

    ok, thank's for all Florian,

    regards,

    Leo

  12. Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

    lucky boy .......

    A Dimarts 24 Gener 2006 23:51, Chris va escriure:
> [...]

    > library
    > ii liblockdev1 1.0.2-1 Run-time
    > shared library for locking devices
    > ii openoffice.org-kde 2.0.0-5 KDE
    > Integration for OpenOffice.org (Widgets, Dialogs, Addressboo
    > ii udev 0.076-6 /dev/ and
    > hotplug management daemon
    > ii hal 0.5.5.1-5 Hardware
    > Abstraction Layer
    > ii libhal-storage1 0.5.5.1-5 Hardware
    > Abstraction Layer - shared library for storage devices
    > ii libhal1 0.5.5.1-5 Hardware
    > Abstraction Layer - shared library
    > ii dbus 0.60-5 simple
    > interprocess messaging system
    > ii libdbus-1-2 0.60-5 simple
    > interprocess messaging system
    > ii libdbus-glib-1-2 0.60-5 simple
    > interprocess messaging system (GLib-based shared library)
    > ii libdbus-qt-1-1c2 0.60-5 simple
    > interprocess messaging system (Qt-based shared library)

  13. Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

    On Monday 23 January 2006 12:04, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two boxes with a mix version of etch and sid. I would like to have
    > kde 3.5 and the feature to plug a pen drive and appears a magical windows
    > asking you what do want to do. However, I have two problems and really,
    > after googling some time, I don't have any idea to solve it.

    > And second, I can plug a device, it appears in syslog, etc, but no
    > windows appears. What I'm doing wrong?

    I had the same problem. It seems that 'usbmount' is capturing the plugging
    events somehow. Purging the 'usbmount' package made it work again.

    Alex.

  14. Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

    A Dilluns 30 Gener 2006 22:10, Alex Hermann va escriure:
    > On Monday 23 January 2006 12:04, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have two boxes with a mix version of etch and sid. I would like to have
    > > kde 3.5 and the feature to plug a pen drive and appears a magical windows
    > > asking you what do want to do. However, I have two problems and really,
    > > after googling some time, I don't have any idea to solve it.
    > >
    > > And second, I can plug a device, it appears in syslog, etc, but no
    > > windows appears. What I'm doing wrong?

    > I had the same problem. It seems that 'usbmount' is capturing the plugging
    > events somehow. Purging the 'usbmount' package made it work again.

    Noopppps

    It doesn't work.. It begins to be very irritating issue ......

    Regards,

    Leo

  15. Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

    Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:

    > A Dilluns 30 Gener 2006 22:10, Alex Hermann va escriure:
    >> On Monday 23 January 2006 12:04, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I have two boxes with a mix version of etch and sid. I would like to
    >> > have kde 3.5 and the feature to plug a pen drive and appears a magical
    >> > windows asking you what do want to do. However, I have two problems and
    >> > really, after googling some time, I don't have any idea to solve it.
    >> >
    >> > And second, I can plug a device, it appears in syslog, etc, but no
    >> > windows appears. What I'm doing wrong?

    >> I had the same problem. It seems that 'usbmount' is capturing the
    >> plugging events somehow. Purging the 'usbmount' package made it work
    >> again.

    > Noopppps
    >
    > It doesn't work.. It begins to be very irritating issue ......

    Well Alex is on the right track - you definitely don't want usbmount. It's
    an older way to do the job. Hal and udev should be enough.
    --
    derek