the best way to handle multimedia keys under KDE 3.5 - Debian

This is a discussion on the best way to handle multimedia keys under KDE 3.5 - Debian ; I've recently bought a Logitech MX 3100 Cordless Desktop which comes with the MX1000 Laser Mouse and a nice Cordless Keyboard. Since they both have all these new multimedia keys i looked on google and noticed that there different ways ...

  1. the best way to handle multimedia keys under KDE 3.5

    I've recently bought a Logitech MX 3100 Cordless Desktop which comes with the
    MX1000 Laser Mouse and a nice Cordless Keyboard. Since they both have all
    these new multimedia keys i looked on google and noticed that there different
    ways to handle them:
    - hotkeys
    - kde control center (kxkb)
    - lineakd (along with klineakconfig and lineak-kdeplugins)

    I didn't even tried hotkeys and went straightforward to look for my keyboard
    type in kcontrol. Despite the are a lot of Logitech Keyboards, there wasn't
    mine and with each of those most of my multimedia keys weren't working.
    I looked around to see if there was some file i could edit to setup my
    keyboard layout and have my keyboard type in kcontrol, but i couldn't find
    any way to do it.

    So decided to try lineakd where i immediately saw my keyboard was present.
    Unfortunately just a couple of keys were working. So i read the page "How to
    get your keyboard supported" on lineakd website in the documentation and
    finally wrote a working profile for my keyboard.
    I'm not much happy with this solution because it means adding another daemon
    running, but this was the only solution. It would be nice is KDE integrated
    such a tool.

    So, did anyone else tried to make his keyboard multimedia keys working? What
    did you use? How is it doing?

  2. Re: the best way to handle multimedia keys under KDE 3.5

    First of all save your xmodmap:

    xmodmap -pke > ~/Xmodmap.save

    Then you need to find out the keycode for the keys. Open a shell and start
    xev. If you press "A" you should get something like:

    KeyPress event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
    root 0x62, subw 0x0, time 3131034, (-212,59), root276,76),
    state 0x0, keycode 38 (keysym 0x61, a), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 characters: "a"

    So the keycode is 38. Now edit the saved Xmodmap.save and give every
    multimedia key a name, for example F12-F20. If you move Xmodmap.save to
    ~/.Xmodmap it should be loaded automatically on startup. If you want to load
    it for testing use

    xmodmap /~Xmodmap.save

    Unfortunately I don't know a program, which does all that automatically...

  3. Re: the best way to handle multimedia keys under KDE 3.5

    2006 m. sausis 16 d., pirmadienis 20:48, Andrea Cavaliero rašė:
    > So, did anyone else tried to make his keyboard multimedia keys working?
    > What did you use? How is it doing?

    Try kmilo (optional) in conjuction with approriate keyboard model (Control
    Center -> Regional & Accessibility -> Keyboard Layout -> Keyboard model; you
    can configure model in xorg.conf too). You will later need to bind your
    multimedia keys via "Keyboard shortcut" kcontrol module though. It works
    perfectly with my (laptop) keyboard (Volume/mute works out-of-the-box with
    kmilo, others need binding).

+ Reply to Thread