Startup problem on fresh KDE 3.5 install - Debian

This is a discussion on Startup problem on fresh KDE 3.5 install - Debian ; I have recently installed to systems, a laptop and a desktop, from scratch, with sid/kde 3.5. (a minimum non-desktop install from the latest stable net-install cd image. Changing the apt config files to sid, doing an update / dist-upgrade getting ...

  1. Startup problem on fresh KDE 3.5 install

    I have recently installed to systems, a laptop and a desktop, from scratch,
    with sid/kde 3.5. (a minimum non-desktop install from the latest stable
    net-install cd image. Changing the apt config files to sid, doing an
    update / dist-upgrade getting kde 3.5 from alioth)
    Both systems exhibits the same strange startup behaviour:

    When logging a user on to KDE 3.5, through kdm, the process stops at the
    peripherals icon for about 15 seconds whereafter the screen goes black and
    the user is returned to the kdm login screen.

    Login into twm from kdm, and executing startkde (as root), starts up kde
    just fine.

    Here comes the weird part of the story: From then on it is just possible to
    normally log into kde from kdm (after exiting kde and twn).

    The only way to start kde as a non-root user seems to be to first start up
    kde as root, stopping kde and then login in normally through kdm.

    I don't see any log entries indicating that something is wrong.
    Exactly the same processes are running before and after starting/stopping
    kde from twm.

    I suspect a rights issue somewhere but is somewhat stuck! Googling for
    answers hasn't provided any hints.

    On yet another system, running sid/kde 3.4, I have upgraded kde to 3.5 and
    it is working just fine.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance

    Jan Schledermann

    --
    ** Do not use the reply-to address. It'll end up in the trash can
    ** Mail me at: janATschledermann.or"REMOVE_THIS"g

  2. Re: Startup problem on fresh KDE 3.5 install

    On Saturday, 14 January 2006 14:10, Jan Schledermann wrote:
    > Any ideas?

    What permissions do you have on /tmp?

    It should be:
    % ls -ld /tmp
    drwxrwxrwt 14 root root 3072 2006-01-14 13:16 /tmp

    Do you have a
    drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 1024 2006-01-14 10:20 .ICE-unix
    file after trying to start as normal user?

    Do you have that file after trying to start as root?

    Best regards
    --
    Isaac Clerencia at Warp Networks, http://www.warp.es
    Work: | Debian:

  3. Re: Startup problem on fresh KDE 3.5 install

    Last week I installed a fresh debian sid and the x11-common in 6.9.0.dfsg.1-3
    does not contain the necessary files. I guess the maintainer simply forgot to
    include them into the package. If upgrading from an existing 6.8.2, one
    wouldn't notice the difference as the /etc/init.d/x11-common would be
    maintained from the older version.

    So yes, it is debian unstable, but sometimes for not so technical reasons

    BTW, I found no Bugreport related to this. Is it worthwhile?

    Best,

    Rigo

    Am Sunday 15 January 2006 00:18, sprach Jan Schledermann:
    > Though x11-common is installed on the non-working systems, there is
    > no /etc/init.d/x11-common file present.

  4. Re: Startup problem on fresh KDE 3.5 install

    El martes, 17 de enero de 2006 14:17, Rigo Wenning escribió:
    > Last week I installed a fresh debian sid and the x11-common in
    > 6.9.0.dfsg.1-3 does not contain the necessary files. I guess the maintainer
    > simply forgot to include them into the package. If upgrading from an
    > existing 6.8.2, one wouldn't notice the difference as the
    > /etc/init.d/x11-common would be maintained from the older version.
    >
    > So yes, it is debian unstable, but sometimes for not so technical reasons
    >

    > BTW, I found no Bugreport related to this. Is it worthwhile?

    We were aware of it. As far as I can tell, this bug was fixed with
    6.9.dfsg.1-4.

    Best regards,

    Ender.
    --
    We accidentally replaced your heart with a baked potato. You have
    about three seconds to live.

  5. Re: Startup problem on fresh KDE 3.5 install

    On 1/17/06, David Martínez Moreno wrote:
    > We were aware of it. As far as I can tell, this bug was fixed with
    > 6.9.dfsg.1-4.

    I did a completely fresh install of Sid yesterday, without doing any
    configuration by hand, and KDE came up just fine.

    Just another datapoint.

    Curt-

  6. Re: Startup problem on fresh KDE 3.5 install

    El martes, 17 de enero de 2006 20:34, Curt Howland escribió:
    > On 1/17/06, David Martínez Moreno wrote:
    > > We were aware of it. As far as I can tell, this bug was fixed
    > > with 6.9.dfsg.1-4.

    > I did a completely fresh install of Sid yesterday, without doing any
    > configuration by hand, and KDE came up just fine.
    >
    > Just another datapoint.

    Hello, Curt. Thank you for the report.

    Best regards,

    Ender.