Media control applet - Debian

This is a discussion on Media control applet - Debian ; Hi. With the upgrade of kicker applets, the media control applet broke. Kicker warned when restarting KDE, and now I can no longer add it. Can someone please check if you can add it in your system, so I know ...

  1. Media control applet

    Hi.

    With the upgrade of kicker applets, the media control applet broke. Kicker
    warned when restarting KDE, and now I can no longer add it.

    Can someone please check if you can add it in your system, so I know if I can
    fill a bug report?

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
    http://barnacity.net/ - Jabber ID: suy@bulmalug.net

  2. Re: Media control applet

    Dnia sobota, 14 stycznia 2006 09:48, Alejandro Exojo napisa³:

    > With the upgrade of kicker applets, the media control applet broke.
    > Kicker warned when restarting KDE, and now I can no longer add it.
    >
    > Can someone please check if you can add it in your system, so I know if
    > I can fill a bug report?

    kicker-applets 4:3.5.0-3 here

    Adding 'media control' applet gives requester with info that such applet
    cannot be found.

    --

  3. Re: Media control applet

    On Saturday 14 January 2006 09:58, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
    > Dnia sobota, 14 stycznia 2006 09:48, Alejandro Exojo napisa³:
    > > With the upgrade of kicker applets, the media control applet broke.
    > > Kicker warned when restarting KDE, and now I can no longer add it.
    > >
    > > Can someone please check if you can add it in your system, so I know if
    > > I can fill a bug report?

    > kicker-applets 4:3.5.0-3 here
    >
    > Adding 'media control' applet gives requester with info that such applet
    > cannot be found.

    Works for me. List of kde packages attached.
    Cheers, JD.

  4. Re: Media control applet

    On Sat January 14 2006 03:48, Alejandro Exojo wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > With the upgrade of kicker applets, the media control applet broke. Kicker
    > warned when restarting KDE, and now I can no longer add it.
    >
    > Can someone please check if you can add it in your system, so I know if I
    > can fill a bug report?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I have kicker-applets 4:3.5.0-3. I'm able to add the media control applet with
    no problem at all.

    Rick
    --
    Rick's Law: What cannot be imagined will be accomplished by a fool.

  5. Re: Media control applet

    El Sábado, 14 de Enero de 2006 10:12, Jean-Damien Durand escribió:
    > > Adding 'media control' applet gives requester with info that such applet
    > > cannot be found.

    Exactly this I'm seeing. :-(

    > Works for me. List of kde packages attached.

    I've checked the list, and I have the same versions of kdebase and
    kicker-applets, so I don't know what can be happening here.

    I tried with a fresh ~/.kde, and I see the same message.

    --
    Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
    http://barnacity.net/ - Jabber ID: suy@bulmalug.net

  6. Re: Media control applet

    On Sunday 15 January 2006 05:00, Alejandro Exojo wrote:
    > El Sábado, 14 de Enero de 2006 10:12, Jean-Damien Durand escribió:
    > > > Adding 'media control' applet gives requester with info that such
    > > > applet cannot be found.

    > Exactly this I'm seeing. :-(
    >
    > > Works for me. List of kde packages attached.

    > I've checked the list, and I have the same versions of kdebase and
    > kicker-applets, so I don't know what can be happening here.
    >
    > I tried with a fresh ~/.kde, and I see the same message.

    I bet if you install xmms, you'll find that it starts to work.

    This is probably my fault. For KDE 3.5, I added a hack to remove xmms from
    the dependencies of kicker-applets, since I found that it would still load
    without it. This way, users weren't forced to install xmms to use
    kicker-applets.

    But obviously my testing wasn't thorough enough. Today I managed to
    reproduce your problem once, but now I can't do it again.... very odd.

    Anyway, since I still don't want to force xmms on all kicker-applets users,
    I think it reasonable to simply disable xmms support for the next upload,
    and point users who want a kicker applet for xmms to xmms-kde, which looks
    better anyway. It's only in unstable at the moment, but is only being held
    out of testing by a missing hppa build, so it should make testing
    eventually.

    Sorry about the hassle. Of course, let me know if installing xmms still
    doesn't fix it.

    Cheers,
    Christopher Martin

  7. Re: Media control applet

    El Domingo, 15 de Enero de 2006 16:30, Christopher Martin escribió:
    > I bet if you install xmms, you'll find that it starts to work.

    Yes! It worked, thanks. I was looking at my /var/log/aptitude, and I forgot
    about xmms.

    > This is probably my fault. For KDE 3.5, I added a hack to remove xmms from
    > the dependencies of kicker-applets, since I found that it would still load
    > without it. This way, users weren't forced to install xmms to use
    > kicker-applets.
    >
    > But obviously my testing wasn't thorough enough. Today I managed to
    > reproduce your problem once, but now I can't do it again.... very odd.

    Well, it's appreciated anyway

    > Anyway, since I still don't want to force xmms on all kicker-applets users,
    > I think it reasonable to simply disable xmms support for the next upload,
    > and point users who want a kicker applet for xmms to xmms-kde, which looks
    > better anyway. It's only in unstable at the moment, but is only being held
    > out of testing by a missing hppa build, so it should make testing
    > eventually.

    Well, I bet most KDE users don't use xmms having juk and amarok (and noatun),
    but of course is up to you to decide if xmms should be supported or not. I
    personally, don't like having it on the menu, but I don't longer care about
    the dependencies, because I have other GTK apps.

    Greetings.

    --
    Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
    http://barnacity.net/ - Jabber ID: suy@bulmalug.net