=?UTF-8?Q?[Kde_3.5.0]_problem_with_=C3=AB_etc?= - Debian

This is a discussion on =?UTF-8?Q?[Kde_3.5.0]_problem_with_=C3=AB_etc?= - Debian ; Hello list, I have a slight problem since I upgraded to the kde 3.5 packages found on http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.5.0/ . Several Kde programs suddenly have a problem with file and directory names with certain characters in them. For example, if I ...

  1. =?UTF-8?Q?[Kde_3.5.0]_problem_with_=C3=AB_etc?=

    Hello list,

    I have a slight problem since I upgraded to the kde 3.5 packages found
    on http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.5.0/ . Several Kde programs
    suddenly have a problem with file and directory names with certain
    characters in them. For example, if I create a directory "accentëdir"
    it will show up like this in Konqueror: "accentëdir". It causes
    problems with other kde programs (eg digikam) who are unable to find
    back their folders.

    (in case it is relevant) my $LANG is set to nl_BE.UTF-8@euro.

    --
    Frank Van Damme

  2. Re: [Kde 3.5.0] problem with =?utf-8?q?=C3=AB?= etc

    Op donderdag 12 januari 2006 12:51, schreef Frank Van Damme:
    > Hello list,
    >
    > I have a slight problem since I upgraded to the kde 3.5 packages found
    > on http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.5.0/ . Several Kde programs
    > suddenly have a problem with file and directory names with certain
    > characters in them. For example, if I create a directory "accentëdir"
    > it will show up like this in Konqueror: "accentëdir". It causes
    > problems with other kde programs (eg digikam) who are unable to find
    > back their folders.
    >
    > (in case it is relevant) my $LANG is set to nl_BE.UTF-8@euro.

    Which program do you use to create the directory?

    What does ls show?

    What are your language settings in KDE?

    Which filesystem do you use?

    If you look at the file using konqueror, is it a local file, or is the file
    accessed via fish, smb, ftp, something else?

    I've tried the same here on my desktop, and it seems to work.

    Peter Palm

  3. =?UTF-8?Q?Re:_problem_with_=C3=AB_etc?=

    2006/1/12, Peter Palm :

    > > (in case it is relevant) my $LANG is set to nl_BE.UTF-8@euro.

    > Which program do you use to create the directory?

    mkdir

    > What does ls show?

    accentëdir . Gtk2 programs show the same.

    > What are your language settings in KDE?

    Country or region: Belgium; Language: US English.

    > Which filesystem do you use?
    >
    > If you look at the file using konqueror, is it a local file, or is the file
    > accessed via fish, smb, ftp, something else?

    Does not seem to matter much. I tried it in /tmp (/ is a local ext3
    filesystem) and in /home (nfs); the file server uses ext3

    > I've tried the same here on my desktop, and it seems to work.

    --
    Frank Van Damme

  4. Re: [Kde 3.5.0] problem with =?utf-8?q?=C3=AB?= etc

    On Thursday 12 January 2006 12:51, Frank Van Damme wrote:
    > Hello list,
    >
    > I have a slight problem since I upgraded to the kde 3.5 packages found
    > on http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.5.0/ . Several Kde programs
    > suddenly have a problem with file and directory names with certain
    > characters in them. For example, if I create a directory "accentëdir"
    > it will show up like this in Konqueror: "accentëdir". It causes
    > problems with other kde programs (eg digikam) who are unable to find
    > back their folders.
    >
    > (in case it is relevant) my $LANG is set to nl_BE.UTF-8@euro.

    Where do you set your $LANG ? It must be set before KDE is started to take
    effect for KDE. If you set it in yout .bash_profile or .bashrc, it will
    only atke effect for shells, resulting in the behaviopur you describe: the
    file/dir is created in a shell with an utf-8 locale, and read in KDE with
    another locale.

    Try setting $LANG using pam_env, or start KDE with startx from an utf-8
    console.

    Alex.

  5. =?UTF-8?Q?Re:_[Kde_3.5.0]_problem_with_=C3=AB_etc?=

    2006/1/15, Alex Hermann :
    > Where do you set your $LANG ? It must be set before KDE is started to take
    > effect for KDE. If you set it in yout .bash_profile or .bashrc, it will
    > only atke effect for shells, resulting in the behaviopur you describe: the
    > file/dir is created in a shell with an utf-8 locale, and read in KDE with
    > another locale.
    >
    > Try setting $LANG using pam_env, or start KDE with startx from an utf-8
    > console.
    >
    > Alex.

    I set is just be dpkg-reconfiguring the package "locales". So I assume
    $LANG must be set by pam.

    --
    Frank Van Damme

+ Reply to Thread