Problem with KAddressBook / KOrganizer and IMAP groupware - Debian

This is a discussion on Problem with KAddressBook / KOrganizer and IMAP groupware - Debian ; Hi, First, my thanks to everyone involved with making KDE happen, both those writting the software and those packaging it for Debian. Your efforts are very much appreciated! I'm having a problem with using KDE to organise my life. I ...

  1. Problem with KAddressBook / KOrganizer and IMAP groupware

    Hi,

    First, my thanks to everyone involved with making KDE happen, both those
    writting the software and those packaging it for Debian. Your efforts are
    very much appreciated!

    I'm having a problem with using KDE to organise my life. I am (or was) using
    an IMAP-based "groupware" to store contacts, events and To-Do items. This
    allowed me to sync and update from multiple locations (desktop and laptop)
    and was working fine. My desktop was running sarge, but I've moved to etch.
    The laptop is running sid.

    The problem is this: neither of the KDE PIM applications I use (KAddressBook,
    KOrganizer) show any data unless KMail explicitly highlights a particular
    message within the groupware folder. If no groupware email is highlighted,
    then no data is available to either application. If a single message is
    highlighted, then the data in that email is available, but no other (i.e. a
    single person is available to KAddressBook and that person's birthday to
    KOrganizer; or, if an event, that event is available to KOrganizer). If I
    attempt to highlight the whole folder, still only a single piece of
    information is available (the one with the dotted box around it). Running
    Kontact exhibits the same behaviour.

    In order for the PIM application to aware of a highlighted email, I must
    unselect ("untick") the IMAP information source, then select it again;
    apparently forcing a re-reading of the available information.

    I suspect that I may have some broken configuration in ~/.kde/share/... that
    is causing this problem as no one else seems to be reporting this. I can
    spend some time investigating this problem, but have absolutely no idea where
    to start and the learning curve for KDE is somewhat daunting.

    Please tell me either how to fix it or where to start looking!

    Thanks!

    Paul.

  2. Re: Problem with KAddressBook / KOrganizer and IMAP groupware

    On Thursday 05 January 2006 15:47, Paul Millar wrote:

    > The problem is this: neither of the KDE PIM applications I use
    > (KAddressBook, KOrganizer) show any data unless KMail explicitly highlights

    I had similar troubles. The solution I had was to add an extra account using
    disconnected (or cached) IMAP for the same server, but then I set it
    subscribed to only the groupware folder. Then you set KMail to use the
    disconnected IMAP version of the groupware folder. Everything works a lot
    better now.

    Andy

    --
    Dr Andrew Parkins, M Eng (Hons), AMIEE