[KDE3.5] kmail, INBOX namespace and subscriptions - Debian

This is a discussion on [KDE3.5] kmail, INBOX namespace and subscriptions - Debian ; Hi, I'm using KDE 3.5 from alioth and it seems that KMail has a new folder namespace handling. When using Courier IMAP, all folders are subfolders of Inbox (which I don't like at all) even when the INBOX namespace is ...

  1. [KDE3.5] kmail, INBOX namespace and subscriptions

    Hi,

    I'm using KDE 3.5 from alioth and it seems that KMail has a new folder
    namespace handling.

    When using Courier IMAP, all folders are subfolders of Inbox (which I don't
    like at all) even when the INBOX namespace is set.

    Now I'd like to change some folder subscriptions, but no matter what I try,
    I always see Inbox in the left pane as only folder, and I'm unable to
    change the subscription status of the subfolders of Inbox.

    Is this a bug, or a feature?

    Regards,

    Stan

    VSJ wrote:

    > I'm using KDE 3.5 from alioth and it seems that KMail has a new folder
    > namespace handling.
    >
    > When using Courier IMAP, all folders are subfolders of Inbox (which I
    > don't like at all) even when the INBOX namespace is set.
    >
    > Now I'd like to change some folder subscriptions, but no matter what I
    > try, I always see Inbox in the left pane as only folder, and I'm unable to
    > change the subscription status of the subfolders of Inbox.
    >
    > Is this a bug, or a feature?

    Regardless, surely it's a bug or feature of Courier-imap. I've recently
    changed from Courier to dovecot, and KMail has no problem with folders as
    either siblings or childred of INBOX (all folders _were_ children of INBOX
    previously). Courier never had any problem with subscriptions, either, so
    I would suspect that is related to ownership of the directories.

    My mail directories have access : drwxrwx---
    and have group "mail".

    The imap folders have various ownerships "drwx--S--" "drwx-----" and
    "drwxrws--". If your MDA delivers direct to the subfolders, I guess they'd
    need group-read/write.
    --
    derek

    On Tuesday 03 January 2006 15:35, VSJ wrote:

    > I'm using KDE 3.5 from alioth and it seems that KMail has a new folder
    > namespace handling.
    >
    > When using Courier IMAP, all folders are subfolders of Inbox (which I don't
    > like at all) even when the INBOX namespace is set.
    >
    > Now I'd like to change some folder subscriptions, but no matter what I try,
    > I always see Inbox in the left pane as only folder, and I'm unable to
    > change the subscription status of the subfolders of Inbox.
    >
    > Is this a bug, or a feature?

    I've got exactly the same problem. Previously (and still in every other
    client) the folder prefix for courier is "INBOX". Setting that makes folder
    lists like

    Root
    |- Inbox
    |- Sent
    `- Drafts

    After an upgrade to KDE 3.5; the "folder prefix" option is gone and the
    namespaces options have appeared. However, even though the "Personal"
    namespace is detected by kmail correctly as "INBOX." the folders all appear
    like:

    Root
    `- Inbox
    |- Sent
    `- Drafts

    Despite what Derek says, I don't think this is a bug in Courier, it's working
    fine in mutt and thunderbird (and was fine in Kmail from 3.4)

    Strangely enough, I've also tried a cachedimap setup and that works as
    expected: the prefix does apply. Smells like a bug in Kmail to me.

    Andy

    --
    Dr Andrew Parkins, M Eng (Hons), AMIEE
    andyparkins@gmail.com

  4. Re: [KDE3.5] kmail, INBOX namespace and subscriptions

    Andy Parkins wrote:

    > On Tuesday 03 January 2006 15:35, VSJ wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using KDE 3.5 from alioth and it seems that KMail has a new folder
    >> namespace handling.
    >>
    >> When using Courier IMAP, all folders are subfolders of Inbox (which I
    >> don't like at all) even when the INBOX namespace is set.
    >>
    >> Now I'd like to change some folder subscriptions, but no matter what I
    >> try, I always see Inbox in the left pane as only folder, and I'm unable
    >> to change the subscription status of the subfolders of Inbox.
    >>
    >> Is this a bug, or a feature?

    > I've got exactly the same problem. Previously (and still in every other
    > client) the folder prefix for courier is "INBOX". Setting that makes
    > folder lists like
    >
    > Root
    > |- Inbox
    > |- Sent
    > `- Drafts
    >
    > After an upgrade to KDE 3.5; the "folder prefix" option is gone and the
    > namespaces options have appeared. However, even though the "Personal"
    > namespace is detected by kmail correctly as "INBOX." the folders all
    > appear like:
    >
    > Root
    > `- Inbox
    > |- Sent
    > `- Drafts
    >
    > Despite what Derek says, I don't think this is a bug in Courier, it's
    > working fine in mutt and thunderbird (and was fine in Kmail from 3.4)
    >
    > Strangely enough, I've also tried a cachedimap setup and that works as
    > expected: the prefix does apply. Smells like a bug in Kmail to me.

    Well, as near as I can tell, Courier is just doing exactly what it _says_
    it's doing. I'm sure you can change the namespaces in the courier config
    to make it work differently if that's what you want, but using the default
    courier namespace, and the default dovecot namespace resulted in different
    folder structures (I had to remove the INBOX prefix to get Dovecot to read
    the Courier folders - which were then no longer subordinate to INBOX).
    This did NOT apply to "Sent" and "Drafts" - which suggests to me that there
    may be a KMail issue there, in that they were created without using a
    prefix.
    --
    derek