KDE 3.4.3 font handling (Unicode) - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE 3.4.3 font handling (Unicode) - Debian ; Hi, im using Unicode fonts on KDE 3.4.3. I've got a lot of "ttf-*" packages installed, chinese (simplified, traditional), korean and so on. Though Mozilla-Firebird shows all non-latin content without problems, KDE won't show certain characters, dependant on what fonts ...

  1. KDE 3.4.3 font handling (Unicode)

    Hi,

    im using Unicode fonts on KDE 3.4.3. I've got a lot of "ttf-*" packages
    installed, chinese (simplified, traditional), korean and so on. Though
    Mozilla-Firebird shows all non-latin content without problems, KDE won't
    show certain characters, dependant on what fonts are
    installed.
    What is different in KDE font handling and where can I find more
    information to solve my display problem?

    Thanks in advance for every possible hint. Please cc me in answers.

    Christoph Burgmer

  2. Re: KDE 3.4.3 font handling (Unicode)

    On Saturday 31 December 2005 11:50, Christoph Burgmer wrote:
    > im using Unicode fonts on KDE 3.4.3. I've got a lot of "ttf-*"
    > packages installed, chinese (simplified, traditional), korean and so
    > on. Though Mozilla-Firebird shows all non-latin content without
    > problems, KDE won't show certain characters, dependant on what fonts
    > are
    > installed.
    > What is different in KDE font handling and where can I find more
    > information to solve my display problem?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for every possible hint. Please cc me in answers.

    Well, none of the CJK fonts has _all_ CJK glyphs included, only those
    which are necessary to display the specific script.
    Apps like Mozilla and also Gnome use fontconfig to decide from which
    fonts the 'missing' glyphs should be taken.

    AFAIK qt apps don't use fontconfig, or the font selection process
    doesn't work correctly. Anyways, it doesn't work properly.
    The ttf-arphic-uming and ttf-arphic-ukai fonts contain more glyphs, but
    not all CJK glyphs yet. They are suitable for displaying simpl. and
    trad. Chinese (incl. HKSCS-2004), but not yet Japanese or Korean. I'm
    working on it.

    However, I fear that you would have to choose your font explicitely for
    now.

    Any other folks who can give some hints?

    Cheers
    Arne
    --
    Arne Götje (高盛華)
    PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/685D1E8C

  3. Re: KDE 3.4.3 font handling (Unicode)

    El Sábado, 31 de Diciembre de 2005 07:12, Arne Götje (高盛華) escribió:
    > Apps like Mozilla and also Gnome use fontconfig to decide from which
    > fonts the 'missing' glyphs should be taken.
    >
    > AFAIK qt apps don't use fontconfig, or the font selection process
    > doesn't work correctly. Anyways, it doesn't work properly.

    AFAIK, Qt _uses_ fontconfig, but I also noticed different behaviour of Qt
    applications.

    Here, Konqueror doesn't show the same amount of glyphs that Firefox. Try for
    example:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...atical_symbols

    In that page, the "proportional to" or "for all" symbols, appear as boxes in
    Konqueror, but are rendered OK in Firefox (well, in my computer at least). I
    tried playing with the default font settings in both, without seeing any
    change. I also made a test page which changes the font family with
    javascript, and still the same.

    Then I made the attached program (compile with qmake -project; qmake; make),
    and still no luck. The japanese and greek characters are displayed, but the
    mathematical symbols are not.

    I will try to investigate further, but I'm not very sure about where.

    --
    Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
    http://darkshines.net/ - Jabber ID: suy@bulmalug.net

  4. Re: KDE 3.4.3 font handling (Unicode)

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005, Arne Götje (高盛華) delivered in simple text monotype:

    > AFAIK qt apps don't use fontconfig, or the font selection process
    > doesn't work correctly. Anyways, it doesn't work properly.

    <---snip--->

    If qt doesn't use fontconfig, then how do you propose it is capable of subbing in rendered, scalable freetype fonts via xft?

  5. Re: KDE 3.4.3 font handling (Unicode)

    On Saturday 31 December 2005 06:56 pm, Arias Hung wrote:

    > If qt doesn't use fontconfig, then how do you propose it is capable of
    > subbing in rendered, scalable freetype fonts via xft?

    $ldd /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so|grep ont
    libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1 (0xb77d3000)

    That settles that as far as whether it uses it or not. Uses it correctly, I
    have no idea. Fonts in X are one of the most evil things ever conceived by
    humankind.

    --
    D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre ---- Silvan

    Author of Rosegarden Companion http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/