laptop performance - Debian

  1. laptop performance

    Hi,

    I have two laptops:

    1) Compaq Presario 2203 AL
    Processor: Intel Pentium M 1.5 Ghz
    RAM: 768 MB
    Video: Intel OnBoard with 32 Mb Shared Memory

    2) Dell D600
    Processor: Intel Pentium M 2.0 Ghz
    RAM: 512 MB
    Video: ATI Radeon R250 FireGL 9000

    I run KDE on both the laptops. Even though I have 768 MB of RAM on the
    Compaq laptop I get lower performance on it compared to the Dell laptop.
    Disk reads are slower than the Dell D600 laptop.

    Here are hdparm results:

    Compaq:
    hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

    /dev/hda:
    Timing cached reads: 1932 MB in 2.00 seconds = 965.18 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 70 MB in 3.05 seconds = 22.95 MB/sec ( Round
    figure for it could be around 25 MB/sec)

    Dell:
    hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

    /dev/hda:
    Timing cached reads: 1832 MB in 2.00 seconds = 914.77 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 100 MB in 3.03 seconds = 33.05 MB/sec
    ( Round figure for it could be around 32 MB/sec)

    Even the system responsiveness on the Compaq laptop is sluggish.
    Does VGA play a _major_ role in system performance ?
    Is there anyway I can improve the performance on the Compaq laptop ?

    Regards,

    rrs
    - --
    Ritesh Raj Sarraf
    RESEARCHUT -- http://www.researchut.com
    "Stealing logics from one person is plagiarism, stealing from many is
    research."
    "Necessity is the mother of invention."

    Note: Please CC me. I'm not subscribed to the list

  2. Re: laptop performance

    On Friday 30 December 2005 07:59, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two laptops:
    >
    > 1) Compaq Presario 2203 AL
    > Processor: Intel Pentium M 1.5 Ghz
    > RAM: 768 MB
    > Video: Intel OnBoard with 32 Mb Shared Memory
    >
    > 2) Dell D600
    > Processor: Intel Pentium M 2.0 Ghz
    > RAM: 512 MB
    > Video: ATI Radeon R250 FireGL 9000
    >
    > I run KDE on both the laptops. Even though I have 768 MB of RAM on the
    > Compaq laptop I get lower performance on it compared to the Dell
    > laptop. Disk reads are slower than the Dell D600 laptop.
    >
    > Here are hdparm results:
    >
    > Compaq:
    > hdparm -Tt /dev/hda
    >
    > /dev/hda:
    > Timing cached reads: 1932 MB in 2.00 seconds = 965.18 MB/sec
    > Timing buffered disk reads: 70 MB in 3.05 seconds = 22.95
    > MB/sec ( Round figure for it could be around 25 MB/sec)
    >
    > Dell:
    > hdparm -Tt /dev/hda
    >
    > /dev/hda:
    > Timing cached reads: 1832 MB in 2.00 seconds = 914.77 MB/sec
    > Timing buffered disk reads: 100 MB in 3.03 seconds = 33.05
    > MB/sec ( Round figure for it could be around 32 MB/sec)
    >

    > Even the system responsiveness on the Compaq laptop is sluggish.
    > Does VGA play a _major_ role in system performance ?
    > Is there anyway I can improve the performance on the Compaq laptop ?

    Shared video memory is slower, uses system memory, afaik. 'hdparm
    -i /dev/hdx' will tell you the udma value/setting for your hd, looks like
    they are different .
    --
    Greg Madden

  3. Re: laptop performance

    > On Friday 30 December 2005 07:59, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
    >> I have two laptops:

    >> 1) Compaq Presario 2203 AL
    >> Processor: Intel Pentium M 1.5 Ghz
    >> RAM: 768 MB
    >> Video: Intel OnBoard with 32 Mb Shared Memory

    >> 2) Dell D600
    >> Processor: Intel Pentium M 2.0 Ghz
    >> RAM: 512 MB
    >> Video: ATI Radeon R250 FireGL 9000

    >> I run KDE on both the laptops. Even though I have 768 MB of RAM on
    >> the Compaq laptop I get lower performance on it compared to the
    >> Dell laptop. Disk reads are slower than the Dell D600 laptop.

    The Compaq is 500 Mhz slower, uses an inferior, onboard video chipset
    that uses system RAM for video RAM (passing video data across the very
    slow system bus), and you wonder why it's slower in KDE?

    You could put 4 GB of RAM in that puppy and it will never run as fast
    as the Dell. RAM is not your issue. A slower CPU and a crappy video
    setup is. (Not to mention its a Compaq Presario, which guarantees
    it'll be dead in 12 months.)

    Basic common sense would have come in handy.
    --
    Freddie Cash, LPIC-1 CCNT CCLP Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
    School District 73 (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]