KDE froze 1/2 way through startup after upgrade - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE froze 1/2 way through startup after upgrade - Debian ; I just upgraded from KDE 3.3 -> 3.4 in testing. Before the upgrade I did /etc/init.d/kdm stop, and after /etc/init.d/kdm start. Things looked OK, and I logged in. The window that shows progress in starting up the session showed up, ...

  1. KDE froze 1/2 way through startup after upgrade

    I just upgraded from KDE 3.3 -> 3.4 in testing. Before the upgrade I
    did /etc/init.d/kdm stop, and after /etc/init.d/kdm start.
    Things looked OK, and I logged in. The window that shows progress in
    starting up the session showed up, and reached 50%. Then it just sat
    there.

    It doesn't seem to be using any CPU. I did not hear any sound, and
    I'm not sure the sound was working even before the upgrade. I have a
    2.4 kernel with alsa, both custom built.

    ..xsession-errors on the account I logged into ends with

    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-ms-wmx'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-ms-wvx'
    DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
    libhal.c 767 : org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceDoesNotExist raised
    "Service "org.freedesktop.Hal" does not exist"

    konsole: WARNING: Unable to use /usr/share/apps/konsole/mc.desktop
    konsole: WARNING: Unable to use /usr/share/apps/konsole/mc.desktop
    konsole: WARNING: Unable to use /usr/share/apps/konsole/sumc.desktop
    konsole: WARNING: Unable to use /usr/share/apps/konsole/sumc.desktop
    kmix: ERROR: Mixer_ALSA::setEnumIdHW(25), errno=-22

    Any suggestions?

    In particular, I think if I kdm stop and then edit the right file to
    disable sound in my preferences I may be able to start. Can anyone
    point me to the right spot?

    I realize this may be a generic KDE question, but since it came up
    after an upgrade I thought it would be good to report the problem
    here.

    It also seems to me KDE should eventually realize it's hung up and
    kill the sound (if that's the problem) and proceed.

    Thanks.

    Ross

  2. Re: KDE froze 1/2 way through startup after upgrade

    Hello Ross,

    Ross Boylan wrote:
    > I just upgraded from KDE 3.3 -> 3.4 in testing. Before the upgrade I
    > did /etc/init.d/kdm stop, and after /etc/init.d/kdm start.
    > Things looked OK, and I logged in. The window that shows progress in
    > starting up the session showed up, and reached 50%. Then it just sat
    > there.

    Did you upgrade /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc to the package maintainer's new
    version? There were substantial changes going from 3.3 to 3.4, and
    certain commands in a user's .bash_profile can now hang KDE during
    startup. See /usr/share/doc/kdm/NEWS.Debian.gz for more info.

    As a first step to narrow down our search I would suggest that you
    create a new "clean" user and see if you can start KDE when you log in
    as that user. Then we know immediately if the problem is something in
    your regular user's $HOME or if we have to look elsewhere.

    > It doesn't seem to be using any CPU. I did not hear any sound, and
    > I'm not sure the sound was working even before the upgrade. I have a
    > 2.4 kernel with alsa, both custom built.

    There are a number of command-line tools for alsa, e.g. alsamixer,
    alsaconf, alsactl, speaker-test. These might be helpful to see if there
    is anything wrong with your sound system. You can also check if you get
    any error messages when you restart alsa-utils. ("invoke-rc.d alsa-utils
    restart" as root)

    > .xsession-errors on the account I logged into ends with
    >
    > kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-ms-wmx'
    > kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-ms-wvx'
    > DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.

    These should all be harmless.

    > libhal.c 767 : org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceDoesNotExist raised
    > "Service "org.freedesktop.Hal" does not exist"

    That seems to indicate that you do not have the package "hal" installed,
    or that the hal-daemon is not running. As far as I know KDE works fine
    without this Hardware Abstraction Layer, it is just a "nicer" way to
    keep track of and interact with the various hardware components of your
    system.

    > konsole: WARNING: Unable to use /usr/share/apps/konsole/mc.desktop
    > konsole: WARNING: Unable to use /usr/share/apps/konsole/mc.desktop
    > konsole: WARNING: Unable to use /usr/share/apps/konsole/sumc.desktop
    > konsole: WARNING: Unable to use /usr/share/apps/konsole/sumc.desktop

    Again I think these warnings have nothing to do with your problem.
    Reinstalling the package "konsole" might fix whatever is wrong with
    these two files.

    > kmix: ERROR: Mixer_ALSA::setEnumIdHW(25), errno=-22

    That looks like kmix (KDE audio mini-mixer) is doing something wrong
    with alsa. You can try to (re)move the kmix configuration files in
    ~/.kde/share/config/ (everything that starts with "kmix" and ends with
    "rc") and see if the problem goes away. A somewhat harsher approach
    would be to temporarily rename /usr/bin/kmix and replace it with a
    symlink to /bin/true ("do nothing, successfully"). This is a rather
    nasty hack and no permanent solution, but it could prove that kmix is
    indeed the reason for your problem. (However, this might fail if the KDE
    startup procedure expects that kmix returns more parameters than just
    "success".)

    I hope this helps.

    Regards,
    Florian

  3. Re: KDE froze 1/2 way through startup after upgrade

    Ross Boylan wrote:

    > DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.

    Did you try to simply reboot the system?

    > libhal.c 767 : org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceDoesNotExist raised
    > "Service "org.freedesktop.Hal" does not exist"

    Is the "hal" package installed?

    > kmix: ERROR: Mixer_ALSA::setEnumIdHW(25), errno=-22

    Perhaps you could rerun "alsaconf"?

    Gert

  4. Re: KDE froze 1/2 way through startup after upgrade

    On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 04:22:01PM +0100, Gert Brinkmann wrote:
    > Ross Boylan wrote:
    >
    > > DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.

    > Did you try to simply reboot the system?

    No, because I'm in the middle of a c. 10 day computation.

    > > libhal.c 767 : org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceDoesNotExist raised
    > > "Service "org.freedesktop.Hal" does not exist"

    > Is the "hal" package installed?

    The package itself, no. The supporting libraries are:

    un hal
    ii libhal-storage0 0.4.8-8
    ii libhal0 0.4.8-8

    > > kmix: ERROR: Mixer_ALSA::setEnumIdHW(25), errno=-22

    > Perhaps you could rerun "alsaconf"?

    I'm not entirely sure I ever ran alsaconf; I may have set it up by hand.

    I hope to give this and the other suggestions a try when I'm at the
    machine. Actually, I guess I hope I'll only need to try one of them

    Ross

  5. Re: KDE froze 1/2 way through startup after upgrade

    On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 12:37:22PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
    > Hello Ross,
    >
    > Ross Boylan wrote:
    > >I just upgraded from KDE 3.3 -> 3.4 in testing. Before the upgrade I
    > >did /etc/init.d/kdm stop, and after /etc/init.d/kdm start.
    > >Things looked OK, and I logged in. The window that shows progress in
    > >starting up the session showed up, and reached 50%. Then it just sat
    > >there.

    > Did you upgrade /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc to the package maintainer's new
    > version? There were substantial changes going from 3.3 to 3.4, and
    > certain commands in a user's .bash_profile can now hang KDE during
    > startup. See /usr/share/doc/kdm/NEWS.Debian.gz for more info.

    /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc was upgraded. It didn't even ask a question,
    presumably because I hadn't touched it.

    > As a first step to narrow down our search I would suggest that you
    > create a new "clean" user and see if you can start KDE when you log in
    > as that user. Then we know immediately if the problem is something in
    > your regular user's $HOME or if we have to look elsewhere.

    I am able to login as a new user. On the first try I got a message
    "Error while initializing the sound driver
    device /dev/dsp can not be opened (permission denied)"

    I added the new user to the audio group and logged in again. This
    time I didn't get the error. However, no sound is working, and the
    problem appears to be below the KDE or arts level. Even with arts
    suspended xmms didn't produce any sounds (I also tried to adjust all
    the mixer controls).

    > >It doesn't seem to be using any CPU. I did not hear any sound, and
    > >I'm not sure the sound was working even before the upgrade. I have a
    > >2.4 kernel with alsa, both custom built.

    > There are a number of command-line tools for alsa, e.g. alsamixer,
    > alsaconf, alsactl, speaker-test. These might be helpful to see if there
    > is anything wrong with your sound system. You can also check if you get
    > any error messages when you restart alsa-utils. ("invoke-rc.d alsa-utils
    > restart" as root)

    The only messages from the restart were "shutting down" and "starting up."

    > >.xsession-errors on the account I logged into ends with
    > >
    > >kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop' specifies
    > >undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-ms-wmx'
    > >kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop' specifies
    > >undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-ms-wvx'
    > >DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.

    > These should all be harmless.
    >
    > >libhal.c 767 : org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceDoesNotExist raised
    > >"Service "org.freedesktop.Hal" does not exist"

    > That seems to indicate that you do not have the package "hal" installed,
    > or that the hal-daemon is not running. As far as I know KDE works fine
    > without this Hardware Abstraction Layer, it is just a "nicer" way to
    > keep track of and interact with the various hardware components of your
    > system.

    Thanks for the info.

    [...]

    > >kmix: ERROR: Mixer_ALSA::setEnumIdHW(25), errno=-22

    > That looks like kmix (KDE audio mini-mixer) is doing something wrong
    > with alsa. You can try to (re)move the kmix configuration files in
    > ~/.kde/share/config/ (everything that starts with "kmix" and ends with
    > "rc") and see if the problem goes away.

    I had already done that before the original report. I get different
    > errors, but still no startup.

    > A somewhat harsher approach
    > would be to temporarily rename /usr/bin/kmix and replace it with a
    > symlink to /bin/true ("do nothing, successfully"). This is a rather
    > nasty hack and no permanent solution, but it could prove that kmix is
    > indeed the reason for your problem. (However, this might fail if the KDE
    > startup procedure expects that kmix returns more parameters than just
    > "success".)
    >
    > I hope this helps.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Florian

    I don't need the sound working, though that would be nice. I would
    like to be able to login to KDE, however

    I appreciate your help.

    Ross

  6. Re: KDE froze 1/2 way through startup after upgrade [SOLVED]

    On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 15:31 -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
    > I just upgraded from KDE 3.3 -> 3.4 in testing. Before the upgrade I
    > did /etc/init.d/kdm stop, and after /etc/init.d/kdm start.
    > Things looked OK, and I logged in. The window that shows progress in
    > starting up the session showed up, and reached 50%. Then it just sat
    > there.

    With the help of Philip Rodrigues on the kde list, I solved the problem.
    I removed .kde/share/config/ksmserverrc and the session directory, and
    it started up. I lost my saved session, of course.

    I also noticed that my taskbar customizations were lost; this is the
    second time that has happened on a 3.3 -> 3.4 upgrade in testing.

    Ross