c++ allocator transition status - Debian

This is a discussion on c++ allocator transition status - Debian ; Today I tried to simulate a dist-upgrade (on sid) with synaptic. These are the packages (depending on my package selection) that seem to require the transition: - digikam - kipi-plugins (related to digikam) - inkscape (conflicts with aptitude, I think ...

  1. c++ allocator transition status

    Today I tried to simulate a dist-upgrade (on sid) with synaptic. These
    are the packages (depending on my package selection) that seem to
    require the transition:

    - digikam
    - kipi-plugins (related to digikam)
    - inkscape (conflicts with aptitude, I think for some dependences)
    - kile-i18n (kile is updated)
    - kompose (transitioned in amd64, I think others will follow)
    - lyx-qt (depends on libaiksaurus1.2-0 and not libaiksaurus1.2-0c2a, bug
    filled)
    - pingus-data (pingus is updated, but not pingus-data)

    This list is only to give a little overview of the transition status.
    Bye

  2. Re: c++ allocator transition status

    Am Donnerstag, 8. Dezember 2005 13:35 schrieb EmIscA:
    > Today I tried to simulate a dist-upgrade (on sid) with synaptic. These
    > are the packages (depending on my package selection) that seem to
    > require the transition:
    >
    > - digikam
    > - kipi-plugins (related to digikam)
    > - inkscape (conflicts with aptitude, I think for some dependences)
    > - kile-i18n (kile is updated)
    > - kompose (transitioned in amd64, I think others will follow)
    > - lyx-qt (depends on libaiksaurus1.2-0 and not libaiksaurus1.2-0c2a, bug
    > filled)
    > - pingus-data (pingus is updated, but not pingus-data)
    >
    > This list is only to give a little overview of the transition status.
    > Bye

    I find it worse that ftp-master messes around in testing like hell :-(
    WHY did they remove kaffeine from testing when it's only available for c2a in
    SID?
    Same goes for konq-plugins! Anybody knows what's going on, here? ftp-master
    gone nuts?

    HS

  3. Re: c++ allocator transition status

    * Hendrik Sattler [Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:24:41 +0100]:

    > I find it worse that ftp-master messes around in testing like hell :-(

    Just fyi, the testing distribution is competece of the release team,
    not of ftp-masters.

    > Anybody knows what's going on, here? ftp-master gone nuts?

    Do. Not. Insult. Developers.

    > WHY did they remove kaffeine from testing when it's only available for c2a in
    > SID?
    > Same goes for konq-plugins!

    The testing distribution is not an easy thing to manage, I can tell
    you that. Competent people are in charge of it, so you shouldn't have
    _any_ doubts that if a package gets removed from there, it is
    certainly not to annoy users like you, but because (a) it's the only
    solution that is left to allow a bigger chunk of packages to enter
    testing, (b) the package is very buggy.

    Anyway, you can find previous versions of kaffeine, that should
    work fine in testing, here:

    http://snapshot.debian.net/package/kaffeine

    Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
    Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

    The problem I have with making an intelligent statement is that some
    people then think that it's not an isolated occurrance.
    -- Simon Travaglia

  4. Re: c++ allocator transition status

    Am Donnerstag, 8. Dezember 2005 17:54 schrieb Adeodato Simó:
    > The testing distribution is not an easy thing to manage, I can tell
    > you that. Competent people are in charge of it, so you shouldn't have
    > _any_ doubts that if a package gets removed from there, it is
    > certainly not to annoy users like you, but because (a) it's the only
    > solution that is left to allow a bigger chunk of packages to enter
    > testing, (b) the package is very buggy.

    Neither is the case with kaffeine in mind. It's not a lib, dependencies are
    not too tight, and it's already recompiled for c2a in Sid and could be pushed
    to testing with the rest of whatever when that's due.
    And I seriously hope they do not remove packages because of one unconfirmed
    bug with status grave (#336306).

    Anyway, I hereby ask the maintainer for the reason of the removal and after
    all, _he_ should know.
    I'd like to have some insight about the decisions that lead to package removal
    far before a new version drops down and even farther from a release.

    HS

  5. Re: c++ allocator transition status

    * Hendrik Sattler [Thu, 08 Dec 2005 18:22:16 +0100]:

    > Neither is the case with kaffeine in mind. It's not a lib, dependencies are
    > not too tight, and it's already recompiled for c2a in Sid and could be pushed
    > to testing with the rest of whatever when that's due.

    So? It will get pushed when "the rest it's due", certainly not now
    (kdelibs4c2a and its dependencies are not ready).

    > Anyway, I hereby ask the maintainer for the reason of the removal and after
    > all, _he_ should know.

    Or not. (And BTW, testing is a tool for the Release Team to prepare
    the next stable release of Debian. This does not mean that users are
    not expected to use it, but when they do, they should know that things
    like this are expected to happen, the same way uninstallable packages
    are expected to happen in sid.)

    > I'd like to have some insight about the decisions that lead to package removal
    > far before a new version drops down and even farther from a release.

    From http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/hints/vorlon:

    # 20051029; done 20051030
    # bug #328738
    remove kaffeine/0.6-1 kaffeine-mozilla/0.4.3.1-1

    In other words, grave bug not acted upon by the maintainer in 6 weeks.

    Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
    Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

    The first step on the road to wisdom is the admission of ignorance. The
    second step is realizing that you don't have to blab it to the world.

  6. Re: c++ allocator transition status

    On Thursday 08 December 2005 11:24, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
    > Am Donnerstag, 8. Dezember 2005 13:35 schrieb EmIscA:
    > > Today I tried to simulate a dist-upgrade (on sid) with synaptic. These
    > > are the packages (depending on my package selection) that seem to
    > > require the transition:
    > >
    > > - digikam
    > > - kipi-plugins (related to digikam)
    > > - inkscape (conflicts with aptitude, I think for some dependences)
    > > - kile-i18n (kile is updated)
    > > - kompose (transitioned in amd64, I think others will follow)
    > > - lyx-qt (depends on libaiksaurus1.2-0 and not libaiksaurus1.2-0c2a,
    > > bug filled)
    > > - pingus-data (pingus is updated, but not pingus-data)
    > >
    > > This list is only to give a little overview of the transition status.
    > > Bye

    > I find it worse that ftp-master messes around in testing like hell :-(
    > WHY did they remove kaffeine from testing when it's only available for
    > c2a in SID?
    > Same goes for konq-plugins! Anybody knows what's going on, here?
    > ftp-master gone nuts?

    No, it is that some packages were removed from testing during the last
    transition, as their transitioned versions were not ready to move from
    unstable to testing, and would therefore either have blocked the whole
    transition, or been uninstallable. So instead, they were removed, and will
    stay out of testing until the package version in unstable is sufficiently
    bug-free to move back into testing, and has all its dependencies satisfied,
    built on all architectures, etc.

    Since another transition has now started, again blocking packages from
    moving from unstable to testing, it probably won't be until after the
    current transition is over that testing will be more or less complete
    again.

    Cheers,
    Christopher Martin

  7. Re: c++ allocator transition status

    Hendrik Sattler wrote:
    > Neither is the case with kaffeine in mind. It's not a lib, dependencies
    > are not too tight, and it's already recompiled for c2a in Sid and could be
    > pushed to testing with the rest of whatever when that's due.
    > And I seriously hope they do not remove packages because of one
    > unconfirmed bug with status grave (#336306).

    Did you read the bug report (http://bugs.debian.org/328738)? It seems to me
    serious enough not to label it as "unconfirmed". Why the bug was not
    closed, or why the upload did not happen is another question, which needs
    to be answered.

    Matej

    Less is more or less more.
    -- Y_Plentyn on #LinuxGER
    (from fortunes -- I cannot resist :-)

  8. Re: c++ allocator transition status

    (Now, let's do some productive stuff with this thread.)

    * EmIscA [Thu, 08 Dec 2005 13:35:24 +0100]:

    Hi,

    > Today I tried to simulate a dist-upgrade (on sid) with synaptic. These
    > are the packages (depending on my package selection) that seem to
    > require the transition:

    Thanks for this information, it's useful to be informed of problems so
    that they can be fixed sooner than waiting for us to detect us
    themselves.

    > - digikam
    > - kipi-plugins (related to digikam)

    These, together with some other missing packages, should become
    available during the weekend.

    > - inkscape (conflicts with aptitude, I think for some dependences)

    Should be fixed with 0.43-1+b1, yes?

    > - kile-i18n (kile is updated)

    #342229, will keep an eye.

    > - kompose (transitioned in amd64, I think others will follow)

    Automatic recompilation failed due to #342622, NMU uploaded, together
    with a couple more.

    > - lyx-qt (depends on libaiksaurus1.2-0 and not libaiksaurus1.2-0c2a, bug
    > filled)

    Maintainer contacted and sponsored upload coming soon.

    > - pingus-data (pingus is updated, but not pingus-data)

    #342231.

    > This list is only to give a little overview of the transition status.

    Thanks,

    Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
    Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

    Russian roulette in bash: ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~

  9. Re: c++ allocator transition status

    On Thursday 08 December 2005 13:35, EmIscA wrote:
    > This list is only to give a little overview of the transition status.

    Don't forget kimdaba!

  10. Re: c++ allocator transition status

    * Georg Prager [Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:41:27 +0100]:

    > On Thursday 08 December 2005 13:35, EmIscA wrote:
    > > This list is only to give a little overview of the transition status.

    > Don't forget kimdaba!

    You'll find it in today's mirror pulse. In fact, as of today's mirror
    pulse, only the following packages depend on kdelibs4c2 on i386:

    digikam
    digikamimageplugins
    plptools

    (will get rebuilt soon)

    gambas
    potracegui

    (have build failures that will have to be investigated)

    labplot

    (needs transitioned libvtk4-dev)

    Cheers,

    Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
    Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

    Listening to: Jay-Jay Johanson - I Want Some Fun

  11. Re: c++ allocator transition status

    On Sunday 11 December 2005 16:41, Georg Prager was heard to say:
    > Don't forget kimdaba!

    Checking just now, and digikam, kigikamimage, ksocrat, kimdaba,
    showimg, celestia, kipi-plugins, superkaramba and tellico are all
    listed for removal based on dependency of kdelibs4c2.

    I guess I'll wait a few more days.

    Ok, not digikam, that's something to do with libkipi0c2 conflicting
    with libkipi0. Like I could tell the difference in the dark, ne?

    Curt-

    --
    September 11th, 2001
    planning advocates in American history

  12. Re: c++ allocator transition status

    On Sunday 11 December 2005 23:08, Curt Howland wrote:
    > Checking just now, and digikam, kigikamimage, ksocrat, kimdaba,
    > showimg, celestia, kipi-plugins, superkaramba and tellico are all
    > listed for removal based on dependency of kdelibs4c2.
    >
    > I guess I'll wait a few more days.

    Well, you can always get the source and recompile it yourself. That's what I
    did for digikam, kipi-plugins, digikamimageplugins and tellico.

    Jan

    --
    Sabido como sorro velho.