fonts in msttcorefonts appear blank - Debian

This is a discussion on fonts in msttcorefonts appear blank - Debian ; Hi - I've just done: apt-get install msttcorefonts and the fonts seemed to install fine. The fonts are being served by xfstt, and $ xlsfonts | grep msttcorefonts lists all the -msttcorefonts-blah- But in xfontsel, the window pane that normally ...

  1. fonts in msttcorefonts appear blank

    Hi -

    I've just done:
    apt-get install msttcorefonts
    and the fonts seemed to install fine. The fonts are being served by
    xfstt, and
    $ xlsfonts | grep msttcorefonts
    lists all the -msttcorefonts-blah-

    But in xfontsel, the window pane that normally shows the font symbols
    appears blank! Likewise, in
    $ xterm -fn '-msttcorefonts-courier \
    new-bold-r-normal-bold-0-0-0-0-m-0-iso8859-'
    the cursor moves when I tap the keyboard but I don't see any characters.

    Any ideas on how to debug this? Do I need to do some additonal
    configuration after installing msttcorefonts?

    Leni.

  2. Re: fonts in msttcorefonts appear blank

    On Wednesday 07 December 2005 17:14, Leni Mayo was heard to say:
    > Hi -
    >
    > I've just done:
    > apt-get install msttcorefonts
    > and the fonts seemed to install fine. The fonts are being served
    > by xfstt, and
    > $ xlsfonts | grep msttcorefonts
    > lists all the -msttcorefonts-blah-

    This is interesting.

    $ xlsfonts | grep msttcorefonts

    returns nothing. Blank. I did a pipe to less, and looked by hand, and
    still nothing named "ms" anything.

    # apt-get install msttcorefonts
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    msttcorefonts is already the newest version.

    > Any ideas on how to debug this? Do I need to do some additonal
    > configuration after installing msttcorefonts?

    I think it's quite interesting, and look forward to some other peoples
    experiences here.

    Curt-

    --
    September 11th, 2001
    planning advocates in American history

  3. Re: fonts in msttcorefonts appear blank

    Curt Howland wrote:
    >> Any ideas on how to debug this? Do I need to do some additonal
    >> configuration after installing msttcorefonts?

    > I think it's quite interesting, and look forward to some other peoples
    > experiences here.

    Try

    xlsfonts | grep '^-monotype'

    Mat?j

    The politician attempts to remedy the evil by increasing the very
    thing that caused the evil in the first place: legal plunder.
    -- Frederick Bastiat

  4. Re: fonts in msttcorefonts appear blank

    On Wednesday 07 December 2005 19:33, Matej Cepl was heard to say:
    > xlsfonts | grep '^-monotype'

    Nothing. Nothing with just "monotype" either.

    # dpkg-reconfigure msttcorefonts
    warning: /usr/lib/X11/fonts/truetype does not exist or is not a
    directory
    These fonts were provided by Microsoft "in the interest of cross-
    platform compatibility". This is no longer the case, but they are
    still available from third parties.

    You are free to download these fonts and use them for your own use,
    but you may not redistribute them in modified form, including changes
    to the file name or packaging format.
    All fonts downloaded and installed.

    --
    September 11th, 2001
    planning advocates in American history

  5. Re: fonts in msttcorefonts appear blank

    On Wednesday 07 December 2005 05:14 pm, Leni Mayo wrote:
    > Hi -
    >
    > I've just done:
    > apt-get install msttcorefonts
    > and the fonts seemed to install fine. The fonts are being served by
    > xfstt, and
    > $ xlsfonts | grep msttcorefonts
    > lists all the -msttcorefonts-blah-

    $ xlsfonts | grep msttcorefonts
    $ xlsfonts | grep microsoft
    -microsoft-comic sans ms-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1

    > Any ideas on how to debug this? Do I need to do some additonal
    > configuration after installing msttcorefonts?

    That is to say, all my msttcorefonts start with -microsoft-*. Of course, I
    installed them almost 3 years ago, so maybe something has changed since
    then. Or maybe the new installer is broken?

    Josh

  6. Re: fonts in msttcorefonts appear blank

    > On Wednesday 07 December 2005 17:14, Leni Mayo was heard to say:
    >> Hi -
    >>
    >> I've just done:
    >> apt-get install msttcorefonts
    >> and the fonts seemed to install fine. The fonts are being served
    >> by xfstt, and
    >> $ xlsfonts | grep msttcorefonts
    >> lists all the -msttcorefonts-blah-

    > This is interesting.
    >
    > $ xlsfonts | grep msttcorefonts
    >
    > returns nothing. Blank.

    apt-get install x-ttcidfont-conf ?

  7. Re: fonts in msttcorefonts appear blank

    On Thursday 08 December 2005 02:42, Nikita V. Youshchenko was heard to
    say:
    > apt-get install x-ttcidfont-conf ?

    Is this one of those "important but never mentioned" utilities?

    Sure enough, /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts is alive and well
    and full, so I guess the fact that Times New Roman shows up in
    OpenOffice means things actually are working. At least I'll assume so
    until someone posts otherwise.

    Thanks, this has been an interesting exercise.

    Curt-

    --
    September 11th, 2001
    planning advocates in American history

  8. Re: fonts in msttcorefonts appear blank

    8.12.2005 pisze Curt Howland (Howland@priss.com):

    > > apt-get install x-ttcidfont-conf ?

    > Is this one of those "important but never mentioned" utilities?

    If you happen to ignore the Recommends: field of the package then yes,
    it was never mentioned.

    Kind regards
    Jubal

    --
    [ Miros/law L Baran, baran-at-knm-org-pl, neg IQ, cert AI ] [ 0101010 is ]
    [ BOF2510053411, http://hell.pl/baran/tek/, alchemy pany! ] [ The Answer ]

    If only one could get that wonderful feeling of accomplishment
    without having to accomplish anything.

  9. Re: fonts in msttcorefonts appear blank

    On Thursday 08 December 2005 08:39, Miros/law Baran was heard to say:
    > 8.12.2005 pisze Curt Howland (Howland@priss.com):
    > > > apt-get install x-ttcidfont-conf ?

    > > Is this one of those "important but never mentioned" utilities?

    > If you happen to ignore the Recommends: field of the package then
    > yes, it was never mentioned.

    Ok, got it. Thanks.

    No, I don't ignore them, I tend to follow whatever dselect
    automatically selects then add as different tools are pointed out.

    So, another tool. Done.

    The fonts still don't show up in the xlsfonts list.

    Curt-

    --
    September 11th, 2001
    planning advocates in American history

  10. Re: fonts in msttcorefonts appear blank

    Curt Howland wrote:
    > No, I don't ignore them, I tend to follow whatever dselect

    If you still use dselect, do not complain -- I do not have mercy for those
    who try to commit suicide and then complain that it hurts :-).

    > The fonts still don't show up in the xlsfonts list.

    Actually, why do you need it in xlsfonts? I mean, which of the tools you use
    are not dependent on fontconfig anyway?

    Matej

    Besides, the determined Real Programmer can write Fortran
    programs in any language.
    -- Ed Post, Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal

  11. Re: fonts in msttcorefonts appear blank

    On Thursday 08 December 2005 13:17, Matej Cepl was heard to say:
    > If you still use dselect, do not complain -- I do not have mercy
    > for those who try to commit suicide and then complain that it hurts
    > :-).

    Interesting. Yet I find aptitude so cumbersome, and tasksel so
    arbitrary, that they are useless to me.

    If I may burden this list with one more irrelevancy, what do you find
    "suicidal" about dselect?

    > > The fonts still don't show up in the xlsfonts list.

    > Actually, why do you need it in xlsfonts? I mean, which of the
    > tools you use are not dependent on fontconfig anyway?

    I have no clue. I was following the lead of the first person who
    posted about it. I do find it interesting that this xlsfonts is
    installed and seems to be working, but does not see all the fonts
    installed. But then, I have no idea what xlsfonts does, where it's
    used, etc.

    One major reason for my admiration of the Debian package maintainers
    is that following their dependencies tends to make a working system.
    I don't have need to know what every different tool does, nor do I
    need to worry that tons of stuff I have no use for is going to be
    installed. That is one reason I eschew tasksel after having tried it
    once. Ouch!

    Curt-

    --
    September 11th, 2001
    planning advocates in American history

  12. Re: fonts in msttcorefonts appear blank

    Curt Howland wrote:
    > Interesting. Yet I find aptitude so cumbersome, and tasksel so
    > arbitrary, that they are useless to me.
    >
    > If I may burden this list with one more irrelevancy, what do you find
    > "suicidal" about dselect?

    Well, somebody who prefers dselect to aptitude has probably different taste
    than I have :-). My experience with dselect was that when after five minute
    fight with it I had no clue, what I have selected/deselected and then I by
    mistake purged whole KDE, I decided that the beast will be never used
    again. Then I switched to aptitude and I am its very happy user since.
    However, if you like dselect -- well, I cannot help it probably :-).

    Matej

    Microwave oven? Whaddya mean, it's a microwave oven? I've been
    watching Channel 4 on the thing for two weeks.

  13. Re: fonts in msttcorefonts appear blank

    >> > Is this one of those "important but never mentioned" utilities?

    >> If you happen to ignore the Recommends: field of the package then
    >> yes, it was never mentioned.

    > Ok, got it. Thanks.
    >
    > No, I don't ignore them, I tend to follow whatever dselect
    > automatically selects then add as different tools are pointed out.
    >
    > So, another tool. Done.
    >
    > The fonts still don't show up in the xlsfonts list.

    These days most application use client-side fonts via fontconfig.
    To make fonts available server-side (so old-style applications like xlsfonts
    see them), you should add font directories to X Font Path, and each
    directory should have appropriate fonts.dir file.

    In debian, things that created those for ttf and cid fonts are automated.
    You should just have x-ttcidfont-conf installed, and
    add /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType to the font path (in
    your xfs config, or in X server config, or manually with xset +fp)