sound support under KDE - Debian

This is a discussion on sound support under KDE - Debian ; Can anybody explain me the mess I feel I am in? There is arts, gstreamer, xine, mplayer, flac, jack, alsa, and I am sure I forgot something which is used for sound playing on KDE. I understand that some of ...

  1. sound support under KDE

    Can anybody explain me the mess I feel I am in? There is arts, gstreamer,
    xine, mplayer, flac, jack, alsa, and I am sure I forgot something which is
    used for sound playing on KDE. I understand that some of these are more
    like hardware drivers (ALSA -- although there is alsaplayer) and some more
    manipulating more sophisticated high-level stuff (xine, mplayer), but still
    there seems to be too much stuff going around. I am currently mostly on
    arts/xine with stuff from testing (and now sid with new KDE), but I know
    that things are gradually moving towards gstreamer. So I would like to
    switch, but I am totally confused about what to do. So here are my
    questions:

    1) Are they? I mean is arts dead or going to die soon?
    2) Control Center's sound system tab is just for arts, right? Is there (is
    there going to be) some equivalent for gstreamer? Where to get it?
    3) Any other suggestions what is the most simple working set of tools (both
    for collection of tracks from my CDs as well as for playing radio streams
    over the Internet) with packages from the main Debian repository?

    URLs for some documents explaining this mess would be more than welcome as
    well.

    Thanks in advance,

    Matej

    The ratio of literacy to illiteracy is a constant, but nowadays
    the illiterates can read.
    -- Alberto Moravia

  2. Re: sound support under KDE

    On Wednesday 07 December 2005 17:14, Matej Cepl wrote:
    > Can anybody explain me the mess I feel I am in? There is arts, gstreamer,
    > xine, mplayer, flac, jack, alsa, and I am sure I forgot something which is
    > used for sound playing on KDE. I understand that some of these are more
    > like hardware drivers (ALSA -- although there is alsaplayer) and some more
    > manipulating more sophisticated high-level stuff (xine, mplayer), but still
    > there seems to be too much stuff going around. I am currently mostly on
    > arts/xine with stuff from testing (and now sid with new KDE), but I know
    > that things are gradually moving towards gstreamer. So I would like to
    > switch, but I am totally confused about what to do. So here are my
    > questions:

    I'd say if you have a working setup, you can safely stay with it until KDE4is
    released.

    > 1) Are they? I mean is arts dead or going to die soon?

    aRts is AFAIK no longer actively maintained or developed, but will be part of
    KDE3 due to compatability reasons.
    It will likely not be part of KDE4 unless it is part of a KDE3 compatability
    layer/library.

    > 2) Control Center's sound system tab is just for arts, right? Is there (is
    > there going to be) some equivalent for gstreamer? Where to get it?

    This section is for KDE's audio system, i.e. how sounds are produced for
    example in notifications. This is tied to aRts (unless you configure an
    external player) there is no direct usage of other decoder frameworks
    implemented., thus no configuration page in a default installation.

    It might be possible that control center modules for other sound systems are
    available as third party projects.

    > 3) Any other suggestions what is the most simple working set of tools (both
    > for collection of tracks from my CDs as well as for playing radio streams
    > over the Internet) with packages from the main Debian repository?

    I guess this is a matter of taste.
    I use mplayer (not in main repository IIRC) for most playing needs, configured
    with arts as the audio driver/sink (-ao arts)

    Cheers,
    Kevin

  3. Re: sound support under KDE

    Matej Cepl wrote:

    > 1) Are they? I mean is arts dead or going to die soon?

    Yes, arts is dead because is main developper left and nobody understands the
    stuff. Is in maintainance state.

    > URLs for some documents explaining this mess would be more than welcome as
    > well.

    http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?p...media+API+Talk

    Cheers,
    Charles
    --
    http://www.kde-france.org

  4. Re: sound support under KDE

    Matej Cepl wrote:
    > 3) Any other suggestions what is the most simple working set of tools
    > (both for collection of tracks from my CDs as well as for playing radio
    > streams over the Internet) with packages from the main Debian repository?

    amaroK is a rather good solution.

    Greetings,

    Gunter

    --
    They said love always found a way, and, of course, so did a number of
    associated activities. (Terry Pratchett * Maskerade - A Discworld Novel)