Help me to remove a package - Debian

This is a discussion on Help me to remove a package - Debian ; One of the secondary packages from a Firefox install is hosing all attempts to upgrade my Kubuntu system. Attempts to dpkg --force-all remove it are unsuccessful. Advice will be most appreciated. root@kubuntu:~# aptitude Extracting templates from packages: 100% Preconfiguring packages ...

  1. Help me to remove a package

    One of the secondary packages from a Firefox install is hosing all attempts to
    upgrade my Kubuntu system. Attempts to dpkg --force-all remove it are
    unsuccessful. Advice will be most appreciated.

    root@kubuntu:~# aptitude
    Extracting templates from packages: 100%
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    (Reading database ... 105506 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing mozilla-firefox-locale-it ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/mozilla-firefox-locale-it.postrm: line 12:
    update-mozilla-firefox-chrome: command not found
    dpkg: error processing mozilla-firefox-locale-it (--purge):
    subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
    mozilla-firefox-locale-it
    A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
    Press return to continue.

    root@kubuntu:~# dpkg --purge --force-all mozilla-firefox-locale-it
    (Reading database ... 105506 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing mozilla-firefox-locale-it ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/mozilla-firefox-locale-it.postrm: line 12:
    update-mozilla-firefox-chrome: command not found
    dpkg: error processing mozilla-firefox-locale-it (--purge):
    subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
    mozilla-firefox-locale-it

    Thanks, Bob
    --
    You mentioned your name as if I should recognize it, but beyond the
    obvious facts that you are a bachelor, a solicitor, a freemason, and

  2. Re: Help me to remove a package

    On Saturday 03 December 2005 19:35, Robert Tilley wrote:
    > /var/lib/dpkg/info/mozilla-firefox-locale-it.postrm: line 12:
    > update-mozilla-firefox-chrome: command not found
    > dpkg: error processing mozilla-firefox-locale-it (--purge):
    > *subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
    > *mozilla-firefox-locale-it
    > A package failed to install. *Trying to recover:
    > Press return to continue.

    Path to hell, no doubt, but:

    if you were to edit that script it refers to,
    '/var/lib/dpkg/info/mozilla-firefox-locale-it.postrm' and simply remove
    (prefix with a #) the line relating to the update-mozilla-firefox-chrome
    command, it ought to succeed (or at least, fail somewhere else).

    David

    If it smells it's chemistry, if it crawls it's biology,
    if it doesn't work it's physics

+ Reply to Thread