Question about Qt exception handling - Debian

This is a discussion on Question about Qt exception handling - Debian ; Hello, I don't really know if this is the good channel to talk about that, but I did not find any better one ! My question is : is there a reason why the libqt was always compiled without exception ...

  1. Question about Qt exception handling

    Hello,

    I don't really know if this is the good channel to talk about that, but
    I did not find any better one !

    My question is : is there a reason why the libqt was always compiled
    without exception handling ? I would need it to centralized the error
    reporting system. I tried send a request to the developpers using
    reportbug but I got no answer !

    Thanks,

    Pierre

    --
    Pierre Barbier de Reuille

    INRA - UMR Cirad/Inra/Cnrs/Univ.MontpellierII AMAP
    Botanique et Bio-informatique de l'Architecture des Plantes
    TA40/PSII, Boulevard de la Lironde
    34398 MONTPELLIER CEDEX 5, France

    tel : (33) 4 67 61 65 77 fax : (33) 4 67 61 56 68

  2. Re: Question about Qt exception handling

    On Thursday 01 December 2005 17:23, Pierre Barbier de Reuille wrote:

    > Well, I don't understand why ! The default options are *with* exception
    > support !!!! Then, I already tried to compile debian packages with
    > exception support and it just works very fine ! I don't see any reason
    > to *explicitly* remove the exception handling.

    It has been deactivated traditionally because earliert GCC (I think < 4.0)
    introduced runtime overhead even when no exception was raised.

    If this has improved it might be interesting to see how other Qt dependent
    code reacts to the change, notably KDE

    I would guess that any code assuming no exception policy might crash in
    situation it would have otherwise handled gracefully.

    Cheers,
    Kevin

  3. Re: Question about Qt exception handling

    Kevin Krammer a écrit :
    > On Thursday 01 December 2005 17:23, Pierre Barbier de Reuille wrote:
    >

    >>Well, I don't understand why ! The default options are *with* exception
    >>support !!!! Then, I already tried to compile debian packages with
    >>exception support and it just works very fine ! I don't see any reason
    >>to *explicitly* remove the exception handling.

    > It has been deactivated traditionally because earliert GCC (I think < 4.0)
    > introduced runtime overhead even when no exception was raised.
    >
    > If this has improved it might be interesting to see how other Qt dependent
    > code reacts to the change, notably KDE
    >
    > I would guess that any code assuming no exception policy might crash in
    > situation it would have otherwise handled gracefully.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Kevin

    Ok, I may test the behavior of KDE with that (even though when I
    compiled Qt with exception support I did not notice anything but my
    program working properly ). I'll keep the list informed.

    Cheers,

    Pierre

    --
    Pierre Barbier de Reuille

    INRA - UMR Cirad/Inra/Cnrs/Univ.MontpellierII AMAP
    Botanique et Bio-informatique de l'Architecture des Plantes
    TA40/PSII, Boulevard de la Lironde
    34398 MONTPELLIER CEDEX 5, France

    tel : (33) 4 67 61 65 77 fax : (33) 4 67 61 56 68

  4. Re: Question about Qt exception handling

    On Monday 05 December 2005 17:27, Pierre Barbier de Reuille wrote:
    > Kevin Krammer a écrit :
    > > On Thursday 01 December 2005 17:23, Pierre Barbier de Reuille wrote:
    > >>Well, I don't understand why ! The default options are *with* exception
    > >>support !!!! Then, I already tried to compile debian packages with
    > >>exception support and it just works very fine ! I don't see any reason
    > >>to *explicitly* remove the exception handling.

    > > It has been deactivated traditionally because earliert GCC (I think <
    > > 4.0) introduced runtime overhead even when no exception was raised.
    > >
    > > If this has improved it might be interesting to see how other Qt
    > > dependent code reacts to the change, notably KDE
    > >
    > > I would guess that any code assuming no exception policy might crash in
    > > situation it would have otherwise handled gracefully.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Kevin

    > Ok, I may test the behavior of KDE with that (even though when I
    > compiled Qt with exception support I did not notice anything but my
    > program working properly ). I'll keep the list informed.

    Exceptions is currently a hot topic on kde-devel

    http://lists.kde.org/?t=113372578400001&r=1&w=2

    Cheers,
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread