kdelibs4-dev on sid? - Debian

This is a discussion on kdelibs4-dev on sid? - Debian ; I'm having a terrible difficulty installing kdelibs4-dev in sid - is it a broken package?...

  1. kdelibs4-dev on sid?

    I'm having a terrible difficulty installing kdelibs4-dev in sid - is
    it a broken package?

  2. Re: kdelibs4-dev on sid?

    let me qualify that - now that I've removed kdebase and I still can't
    install it.
    kdelibs4-dev: Depends: libarts1-dev (>= 1.4.2) but it is not going
    to be installed

    ROOT@lazarus]# apt-get install libarts1-dev kdelibs4-dev
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    or been moved out of Incoming.

    libarts1-dev: Depends: libarts1c2a (= 1.4.3-2) but it is not going
    to be installed
    E: Broken packages

  3. Re: kdelibs4-dev on sid?

    On 2005-11-26, Alan Ezust wrote:
    > libarts1-dev: Depends: libarts1c2a (= 1.4.3-2) but it is not going
    > to be installed

    Yes - sid is starting to break heavily - and in some weeks, it will be
    back up running

    /Sune

  4. Re: kdelibs4-dev on sid?

    Am Samstag 26 November 2005 07:30 schrieb Alan Ezust:

    > ROOT@lazarus]# apt-get install libarts1-dev kdelibs4-dev
    > Reading package lists... Done
    > Building dependency tree... Done
    > or been moved out of Incoming.

    > libarts1-dev: Depends: libarts1c2a (= 1.4.3-2) but it is not going
    > to be installed
    > E: Broken packages

    Hello Alan,

    there seems to be another library transition. This time between KDE 3.4.2
    and KDE 3.4.3 related libraries.

    As sid does not contain the complete KDE 3.4.3 distribution and all KDE
    related packages that are important to me compiled with those new
    libraries, I am going to leave those new library packages uninstalled for
    a while.

    I am a bit puzzled about this, cause I thought there would be *one* C++
    ABI transition and not two of them. Seems I have missed something.

    IMHO those transitions are quite time consuming for developers,
    betatesters and users and would like that they won't happen that often.

    Regards,

  5. Re: kdelibs4-dev on sid?

    Am Samstag 26 November 2005 07:30 schrieb Alan Ezust:

    > libarts1-dev: Depends: libarts1c2a (= 1.4.3-2) but it is not going
    > to be installed
    > E: Broken packages

    Hello again,

    here is the necessary piece of information

    From: Christopher Martin
    To: debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org, debian-kde@lists.debian.org
    Date: 16.11.2005 20:48

    [...]

    THE ROAD AHEAD
    ==============

    Unfortunately, a necessary change to Debian's GCC configuration [1], that
    was just uploaded, breaks binary compatibility for many C++ libraries and
    the applications that use them, forcing them to be renamed, as in, for
    instance, libfoo7c2 --> libfoo7c2a. KDE is affected by this change. Once
    the updated toolchain is in place for all architectures, and all libraries
    that arts and kdelibs build-depend on are also transitioned (could be a
    while...), then we will upload a transitioned KDE 3.4.3 to Sid (unstable).
    KDE 3.5.0 will likely then move into experimental. Only once KDE 3.4.3 has
    moved into Etch (testing), will KDE 3.5 be uploaded to unstable, however.

    [...]

    So this time at least it doesn't seem to be the GCC developers causing
    that transition ;-).

    Regards,