Konqueror problem? - Debian

This is a discussion on Konqueror problem? - Debian ; I have a strange problem with Konqueror. If I click on a folder on my desktop or in the Konqueror file-manager window I get an alert "KDEInit could not launch ' ' ", once for the desktop folders and twice ...

  1. Konqueror problem?

    I have a strange problem with Konqueror. If I click on a folder on my
    desktop or in the Konqueror file-manager window I get an alert "KDEInit
    could not launch '' ", once for the desktop folders
    and twice within Konqueror. Same thing happens with the icon bar
    navigation icons. Yet I can open folders in a new tab OK.

    If I start Konqueror from the command line I get the following:

    wulfy@Yewdales-lodge:~$ konqueror
    kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::initPrivate(): trying to assign a
    shortcut (Alt+Plus) to an unnamed action.
    kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::initPrivate(): trying to assign a
    shortcut (Alt+Minus) to an unnamed action.
    konqueror: ERROR: Error in BrowserExtension::actionSlotMap(), unknown
    action : searchProvider
    konqueror: ERROR: Error in BrowserExtension::actionSlotMap(), unknown
    action : searchProvider
    konqueror: ERROR: Error in BrowserExtension::actionSlotMap(), unknown
    action : searchProvider
    konqueror: ERROR: Error in BrowserExtension::actionSlotMap(), unknown
    action : searchProvider
    konqueror: ERROR: Error in BrowserExtension::actionSlotMap(), unknown
    action : searchProvider
    KonqSidebar:roperty( "modified" ) failed: property invalid or does not
    exist
    KonqKfmIconView:roperty( "modified" ) failed: property invalid or does
    not exist
    kio (KDirWatch): WARNING: KDirWatch::removeDir can't handle '/'
    wulfy@Yewdales-lodge:~$

    [It starts in browser mode, I change to file-manager mode and try to
    open a folder in the window. I am not trying to remove anything, despite
    the last line!]

    I tried googling but nothing useful coming up. I've tried
    dpkg-reconfigure for both Konqueror and KDEInit. Nothing changed. I
    logged out and in again, same thing. I even (in desperation!)
    rebooted. Then I was doing something else and using the "Super User
    Mode File Manager" and everything worked, at least within Konqueror.

    So it looks like something in my user configuration got hosed. I have
    no idea where to look and what to do to fix it. Any ideas? If I
    haven't given enough info, just tell me what commands to use and I'll
    post the output.

    Thanks!

    --
    Blessings

    Wulfmann

    Wulf Credo:

  2. Re: Konqueror problem?

    Wulfy wrote:

    > I have a strange problem with Konqueror. If I click on a folder on my
    > desktop or in the Konqueror file-manager window I get an alert
    > "KDEInit could not launch '' ", once for the desktop
    > folders and twice within Konqueror. Same thing happens with the icon
    > bar navigation icons. Yet I can open folders in a new tab OK.
    >
    > If I start Konqueror from the command line I get the following:
    >
    > wulfy@Yewdales-lodge:~$ konqueror
    > kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::initPrivate(): trying to assign a
    > shortcut (Alt+Plus) to an unnamed action.
    > kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::initPrivate(): trying to assign a
    > shortcut (Alt+Minus) to an unnamed action.
    > konqueror: ERROR: Error in BrowserExtension::actionSlotMap(), unknown
    > action : searchProvider
    > konqueror: ERROR: Error in BrowserExtension::actionSlotMap(), unknown
    > action : searchProvider
    > konqueror: ERROR: Error in BrowserExtension::actionSlotMap(), unknown
    > action : searchProvider
    > konqueror: ERROR: Error in BrowserExtension::actionSlotMap(), unknown
    > action : searchProvider
    > konqueror: ERROR: Error in BrowserExtension::actionSlotMap(), unknown
    > action : searchProvider
    > KonqSidebar:roperty( "modified" ) failed: property invalid or does
    > not exist
    > KonqKfmIconView:roperty( "modified" ) failed: property invalid or
    > does not exist
    > kio (KDirWatch): WARNING: KDirWatch::removeDir can't handle '/'
    > wulfy@Yewdales-lodge:~$
    >
    > [It starts in browser mode, I change to file-manager mode and try to
    > open a folder in the window. I am not trying to remove anything,
    > despite the last line!]
    >
    > I tried googling but nothing useful coming up. I've tried
    > dpkg-reconfigure for both Konqueror and KDEInit. Nothing changed. I
    > logged out and in again, same thing. I even (in desperation!)
    > rebooted. Then I was doing something else and using the "Super User
    > Mode File Manager" and everything worked, at least within Konqueror.
    >
    > So it looks like something in my user configuration got hosed. I have
    > no idea where to look and what to do to fix it. Any ideas? If I
    > haven't given enough info, just tell me what commands to use and I'll
    > post the output.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Oops. I forgot to say. I have Sarge installed.

    --
    Blessings

    Wulfmann

    Wulf Credo:

  3. Re: Konqueror problem?

    El Martes, 22 de Noviembre de 2005 05:12, Wulfy escribió:
    > I have a strange problem with Konqueror. If I click on a folder on my
    > desktop or in the Konqueror file-manager window I get an alert "KDEInit
    > could not launch '' ", once for the desktop folders
    > and twice within Konqueror. Same thing happens with the icon bar
    > navigation icons. Yet I can open folders in a new tab OK.
    >
    > If I start Konqueror from the command line I get the following:
    >
    > wulfy@Yewdales-lodge:~$ konqueror
    > kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::initPrivate(): trying to assign a
    > shortcut (Alt+Plus) to an unnamed action.
    > kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::initPrivate(): trying to assign a
    > shortcut (Alt+Minus) to an unnamed action.
    > konqueror: ERROR: Error in BrowserExtension::actionSlotMap(), unknown
    > action : searchProvider
    > konqueror: ERROR: Error in BrowserExtension::actionSlotMap(), unknown
    > action : searchProvider
    > konqueror: ERROR: Error in BrowserExtension::actionSlotMap(), unknown
    > action : searchProvider
    > konqueror: ERROR: Error in BrowserExtension::actionSlotMap(), unknown
    > action : searchProvider
    > konqueror: ERROR: Error in BrowserExtension::actionSlotMap(), unknown
    > action : searchProvider
    > KonqSidebar:roperty( "modified" ) failed: property invalid or does not
    > exist
    > KonqKfmIconView:roperty( "modified" ) failed: property invalid or does
    > not exist
    > kio (KDirWatch): WARNING: KDirWatch::removeDir can't handle '/'
    > wulfy@Yewdales-lodge:~$
    >
    > [It starts in browser mode, I change to file-manager mode and try to
    > open a folder in the window. I am not trying to remove anything, despite
    > the last line!]

    That's not for removing a anything, is for watching for changes in a directory
    (/?).

    > I tried googling but nothing useful coming up. I've tried
    > dpkg-reconfigure for both Konqueror and KDEInit. Nothing changed. I
    > logged out and in again, same thing. I even (in desperation!)
    > rebooted. Then I was doing something else and using the "Super User
    > Mode File Manager" and everything worked, at least within Konqueror.
    >
    > So it looks like something in my user configuration got hosed. I have
    > no idea where to look and what to do to fix it. Any ideas? If I
    > haven't given enough info, just tell me what commands to use and I'll
    > post the output.

    If a new user can browse OK, then as the broken user:

    $ kbuildsyscoca --noincremental

    may help. If not, try to reinstall kdelibs

    # apt-get --reinstall install kdelibs4

    But may be just reconstructing the lib cache (or whatever this command do)
    makes the job:

    # ldconfig

    Do you have prelink installed?

  4. Re: Konqueror problem?

    Matias Costa wrote:

    >El Martes, 22 de Noviembre de 2005 05:12, Wulfy escribió:
    >

    >>kio (KDirWatch): WARNING: KDirWatch::removeDir can't handle '/'
    >>wulfy@Yewdales-lodge:~$
    >>
    >>[It starts in browser mode, I change to file-manager mode and try to
    >>open a folder in the window. I am not trying to remove anything, despite
    >>the last line!]
    >>

    >That's not for removing a anything, is for watching for changes in a directory
    >(/?).

    Ah! I don't know anything about the kio utilities(?), I'm somewhat of a
    newby...

    >>I tried googling but nothing useful coming up. I've tried
    >>dpkg-reconfigure for both Konqueror and KDEInit. Nothing changed. I
    >>logged out and in again, same thing. I even (in desperation!)
    >>rebooted. Then I was doing something else and using the "Super User
    >>Mode File Manager" and everything worked, at least within Konqueror.
    >>
    >>So it looks like something in my user configuration got hosed. I have
    >>no idea where to look and what to do to fix it. Any ideas? If I
    >>haven't given enough info, just tell me what commands to use and I'll
    >>post the output.
    >>

    >If a new user can browse OK, then as the broken user:
    >
    >$ kbuildsyscoca --noincremental

    I don't have this command installed.

    >may help. If not, try to reinstall kdelibs
    >
    ># apt-get --reinstall install kdelibs4

    Did this - no change.

    >But may be just reconstructing the lib cache (or whatever this command do)
    >makes the job:
    >
    ># ldconfig

    Also did this with no change.

    >Do you have prelink installed?

    No. I'll try installing both. I'll also try creating a new user.

    Thanks for the help!

    --
    Blessings

    Wulfmann

    Wulf Credo:

  5. Re: Konqueror problem?

    Matias Costa wrote:

    >If a new user can browse OK, then as the broken user:
    >
    >$ kbuildsyscoca --noincremental
    >
    >may help. If not, try to reinstall kdelibs
    >
    ># apt-get --reinstall install kdelibs4
    >
    >But may be just reconstructing the lib cache (or whatever this command do)
    >makes the job:
    >
    ># ldconfig
    >
    >Do you have prelink installed?

    New user worked. Root works. "wulfy" doesn't... therefore "wulfy" is
    broken.

    I can't find "kbuildsyscoca". Which package is it part of?

    I installed prelink. From the description, I don't think it's something
    I run unless I'm compiling some program. I'm way out of my depth
    here... any more ideas?

    Thanks again for your help.

    --
    Blessings

    Wulfmann

    Wulf Credo:

  6. Re: Konqueror problem?

    On Wednesday 23 November 2005 02:53, Wulfy wrote:

    > >$ kbuildsyscoca --noincremental

    > I don't have this command installed.

    It is
    kbuildsycoca

    (one 's' to much)

    Cheers,
    Kevin

  7. Re: Konqueror problem?

    Kevin Krammer wrote:

    >On Wednesday 23 November 2005 02:53, Wulfy wrote:
    >

    >>>$ kbuildsyscoca --noincremental
    >>>

    >>I don't have this command installed.
    >>

    >It is
    >kbuildsycoca
    >
    >(one 's' to much)
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Kevin

    Thanks, Kevin!

    --
    Blessings

    Wulfmann

    Wulf Credo:

  8. Re: Konqueror problem?

    Wulfy wrote:

    > Kevin Krammer wrote:

    >>> I don't have this command installed.
    >>>

    >> It is
    >> kbuildsycoca
    >>
    >> (one 's' to much)
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Kevin
    >>

    > I ran the command and got a lot of errors... see attached log. Seems
    > a lot of things are no longer defined. Help?
    >
    > I just had a thought. Should I move ~/.kde out of the way and restart
    > KDE? That way, it should put what's needed there... or am I barking
    > up the wrong tree?

    Can no-one help me? It's not a box breaking problem but it is
    annoying...

    --
    Blessings

    Wulfmann