Can't get Window key to work as menu launch any longer - Debian

This is a discussion on Can't get Window key to work as menu launch any longer - Debian ; Hello everybody. I am tracking Debian unstable. I have a very small, but annoying problem: The "Windows" key worked earlier for me by default, to launch the KDE Menu. I am not certain whether it was the upgrade XFree86->Xorg, or ...

  1. Can't get Window key to work as menu launch any longer

    Hello everybody.

    I am tracking Debian unstable.

    I have a very small, but annoying problem: The "Windows" key worked earlier
    for me by default, to launch the KDE Menu. I am not certain whether it was
    the upgrade XFree86->Xorg, or the upgrade KDE 3.3->3.4 - but the key
    has stopped working. Alt-F1 works just fine, still.

    I tried to configure using Control Center/Regional and
    Accessibility/Keyboard Shortcuts/Panel/Popup Launch Menu. Here I can
    configure - say - Win+M to launch, but not the Windows key alone. It
    looks as if either the X11 system or KDE has decided that the Windows
    key is now a meta key of a sort, not a key that can be made to do
    anything in itself.

    Any help is appreciated.

    best regards

    --
    Peder Chr. Nørgaard e-mail: pcn@pogt.dk
    Gefionsvej 19 spejder-e-mail: hathi@gallerne.dk

  2. Re: Can't get Window key to work as menu launch any longer

    On Monday 21 November 2005 18:13, Peder Chr. Nørgaard wrote:
    > I have a very small, but annoying problem: The "Windows" key worked
    > earlier for me by default, to launch the KDE Menu. I am not certain
    > whether it was the upgrade XFree86->Xorg, or the upgrade KDE 3.3->3.4 - but
    > the key has stopped working. Alt-F1 works just fine, still.

    As far as I know it was a very bad hack to get the windows key work under KDE,
    which cause a lot of problems in 3.3 and prior. So since 3.4, this hack was
    taken out and the windows key can't be used for the KDE Menu anymore. But you
    can still assign it with other actions, like WIN+E for Konqueror etc.

    HTH,

    Christian

  3. Re: Can't get Window key to work as menu launch any longer

    could be that the keyboard isn't configured as having the win-key, too.

  4. Re: Can't get Window key to work as menu launch any longer

    On November 21, 2005 12:13, Peder Chr. Nørgaard wrote:
    > I have a very small, but annoying problem: The "Windows" key worked
    > earlier for me by default, to launch the KDE Menu. I am not certain
    > whether it was the upgrade XFree86->Xorg, or the upgrade KDE 3.3->3.4 -
    > but the key has stopped working. Alt-F1 works just fine, still.

    The original hack for this was dropped, but you can still get the same
    functionality by going to the Control Centre, Regional and Accessibility,
    Keyboard Layout, then the Xkb Options tab, and selecting "Press any of
    Win-keys to choose 3rd level" under "Third level choosers". Then restart
    KDE, and go back to the Control Centre, Regional and Accessibility,
    Keyboard Shortcuts, and map "Popup Launch Menu" to the Win key as you would
    any other key (KDE will tell you that you're using the ISO_Level3_Shift key
    or something similar). Only seems to work for the left Win key, but that's
    all I wanted, personally.

    Cheers,
    Christopher Martin

  5. Re: Can't get Window key to work as menu launch any longer

    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I recall reading that this
    feature was removed from KDE upstream. Something about it being buggy. Again,
    prove me wrong

    Lawrence

    On November 21, 2005 01:43 pm, Peder Chr. Nørgaard wrote:
    > I tried to configure using Control Center/Regional and
    > Accessibility/Keyboard Shortcuts/Panel/Popup Launch Menu. *Here I can
    > configure - say - Win+M to launch, but not the Windows key alone. *It
    > looks as if either the X11 system or KDE has decided that the Windows
    > key is now a meta key of a sort, not a key that can be made to do
    > anything in itself.

  6. Re: Can't get Window key to work as menu launch any longer

    On 11/21/05, Christopher Martin wrote:
    > or something similar). Only seems to work for the left Win key, but that's
    > all I wanted, personally.

    Yes, I've been using this too. I just noticed that if I hit the right
    Win key while I'm using konqueror to view a gmail message, that
    konqueror crashes. But, this effect only happens when viewing a gmail
    message, not at any other web site that I can find. Ain't that weird?

    regards,

  7. Re: Can't get Window key to work as menu launch any longer

    Speaking of gmail and konquerer, does anyone know when knoquerer will
    begin to fully support gmail? It's missing some compononents of some
    kind that keeps it from being fully functional with gmail's default
    interface, though the "html" interface works just fine.

  8. Re: Can't get Window key to work as menu launch any longer

    Am Dienstag, 22. November 2005 05:03 schrieb lordSauron:
    > Speaking of gmail and konquerer, does anyone know when knoquerer will
    > begin to fully support gmail? It's missing some compononents of some
    > kind that keeps it from being fully functional with gmail's default
    > interface, though the "html" interface works just fine.

    Maybe at the time that gmail stops using silly browser-dependant code?

    HS

  9. Re: Can't get Window key to work as menu launch any longer

    On 11/22/05, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
    > Am Dienstag, 22. November 2005 05:03 schrieb lordSauron:
    > > Speaking of gmail and konquerer, does anyone know when knoquerer will
    > > begin to fully support gmail? It's missing some compononents of some
    > > kind that keeps it from being fully functional with gmail's default
    > > interface, though the "html" interface works just fine.

    I've been using it without getting that alternate interface by setting
    the Settings > Browser Identification > Site Specific Identification
    ... add "google.com" and select Mozilla 1.7.3 from the drop down menu.

    So far, the only problems I notice are crashing when I accidentally
    touch the right Win key, and clicking on an attachement opens a blank
    tab, but no attachment downloads.

    regards,

+ Reply to Thread