Re: KDE 3.4.2 Update
I'd like to thank all of the people who worked on KDE 3.4.2. Really
nice desktop that is easy to use.
I've been able to get this working since last week with an Nvidia
graphics card and the Xorg stuff on my own workstation. I'm
producing work with OpenOffice and listening to music. The steps to
getting the whole thing to work were along these lines......
Run 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' due to the fact that I messed up.
Then I found that the mouse wouldn't work and the X server wouldn't
start. Changed the lines in xorg.conf to......
* * * * Identifier * * *"Configured Mouse"
* * * * Driver * * * * *"mouse"
* * * * Option * * * * *"CorePointer"
* * * * Option * * * * *"Device" * *>>>>> "/dev/input/mice"<<<<
* * * * Option * * * * *"Protocol" * * * * * * *"ImPS/2"
* * * * Option * * * * *"Emulate3Buttons" * * * "true"
* * * * Option * * * * *"ZAxisMapping" * * * * *"4 5"
Arrows pointing to the bit that makes the difference... *and then as
root I did .....
I now have an Xorg server working and KDE 3.4.2 playing Mozart and
other opera on my speakers. *The info about Nvidia modules came
this is just ordinary IBM clone hardware with a wireless PS2 scroll
mouse. For more info about how the Nvidia card works have a look at
the Debian testing list for the past week and read about my own
problems with the upgrade.