KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth - Debian ; [Please follow-up to debian-kde@lists.debian.org only. Thanks.] 3.5 RC1 PACKAGES ================ The Debian Qt/KDE team has been hard at work, and would like to announce the availability of packages for KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1. These packages have not been uploaded ...

  1. KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    ================

    The Debian Qt/KDE team has been hard at work, and would like to announce the
    availability of packages for KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1. These packages
    have not been uploaded to the archive, not even experimental, but are
    available from the pkg-kde alioth repository. They are still rough and
    experimental, so don't use them unless you're willing to risk a broken
    desktop. You can access the packages by adding the following lines to your
    sources.list:

    deb http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.5-rc1 ./
    deb-src http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.5-rc1 ./

    Again, these packages are NOT fully tested; you should NOT use them unless
    you are willing to shoulder considerable risk, as not only is the packaging
    as fresh as wet paint, but this isn't even a final KDE release, and is
    therefore buggier than usual.

    I'd like to note that in addition to the usual team of packagers, Josh
    Metzler contributed a great deal of quality work to the packaging of
    several modules. Thanks!

    HELP US HELP YOU
    ================

    In making these packages available, we're giving users an opportunity to
    help us prepare better packages for KDE 3.5.0. Since these packages are not
    in the archive, you should not file official bugs concerning them. We ask
    instead that problems be reported, in detailed messages, to
    debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org (ask for a CC if you're not subscribed). Use
    your judgment. Bugs that are fairly minor, and that are clearly not
    packaging problems, should be directed to bugs.kde.org instead. Only
    packaging problems, or really serious upstream issues that we really ought
    to be aware of, should be reported to us at this stage. If in doubt, tell
    us.

    Also, many KDE programs are still missing manpages. If you'd like to help
    the team, please write a page or two and send it in. You can also help by
    going through the Bug Tracking System, and closing your old bugs that are
    no longer relevant, or just cleaning up issues that you know are fixed.

    NOT ALL MODULES AVAILABLE YET
    =============================

    All fully group-maintained KDE modules are available. The remaining modules
    are not yet ready, but no significant issues have yet been found running,
    say, kmail from 3.4.2 with kdelibs 3.5-rc1. But beware that
    incompatibilities are a possibility. This is the sort of thing we'd be
    interested in learning about. We don't have a timeline on the availability
    of the remaining modules; please don't harass the maintainers of those
    modules, as they are certainly aware of the situation and will make
    progress as their time permits.

    OPTIMIZATIONS
    =============

    The much sought performance-enhancing feature of GCC visibility
    (-fvisibility) is NOT enabled, nor is likely to be enabled for a long time.
    Bugs in GCC - bugs that may not be fixed until GCC 4.2.0, sadly - are
    causing too many problems. Indeed, visibility support is no longer enabled
    by default in KDE, as of a few days ago. There are a few distributions that
    may persist in enabling this feature, but they are using toolchains that
    are heavily patched.

    THE ROAD AHEAD
    ==============

    Unfortunately, a necessary change to Debian's GCC configuration [1], that
    was just uploaded, breaks binary compatibility for many C++ libraries and
    the applications that use them, forcing them to be renamed, as in, for
    instance, libfoo7c2 --> libfoo7c2a. KDE is affected by this change. Once
    the updated toolchain is in place for all architectures, and all libraries
    that arts and kdelibs build-depend on are also transitioned (could be a
    while...), then we will upload a transitioned KDE 3.4.3 to Sid (unstable).
    KDE 3.5.0 will likely then move into experimental. Only once KDE 3.4.3 has
    moved into Etch (testing), will KDE 3.5 be uploaded to unstable, however.

    Of course, this plan is tentative, and will be adapted to circumstance,
    consultations with the Release Team, etc. But this should give you some
    idea of the road ahead for KDE packaging in Debian.

    Enjoy the packages!

    Christopher Martin
    (on behalf of the Debian Qt/KDE Team)

    1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-relea.../msg00080.html

  2. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    On Wednesday 16 November 2005 20:48, Christopher Martin wrote:
    > [Please follow-up to debian-kde@lists.debian.org only. Thanks.]
    >
    > 3.5 RC1 PACKAGES
    > ================
    >
    > The Debian Qt/KDE team has been hard at work, and would like to
    > announce the availability of packages for KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1

    Thank you very much for your work!
    I guess you made many people a happy gift today! :-)

  3. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    Hi

    I've installed the packages and they seem to be running fine.

    Thanks to the team for your effort. It's much appreciated.

    br. Christian Surlykke

> [...]
    >
    > Unfortunately, a necessary change to Debian's GCC configuration [1], that
    > was just uploaded, breaks binary compatibility for many C++ libraries and
    > the applications that use them, forcing them to be renamed, as in, for
    > instance, libfoo7c2 --> libfoo7c2a. KDE is affected by this change. Once
    > the updated toolchain is in place for all architectures, and all libraries
    > that arts and kdelibs build-depend on are also transitioned (could be a
    > while...), then we will upload a transitioned KDE 3.4.3 to Sid (unstable).
    > KDE 3.5.0 will likely then move into experimental. Only once KDE 3.4.3 has
    > moved into Etch (testing), will KDE 3.5 be uploaded to unstable, however.
    >
    > Of course, this plan is tentative, and will be adapted to circumstance,
    > consultations with the Release Team, etc. But this should give you some
    > idea of the road ahead for KDE packaging in Debian.

  4. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    With the announcement that KDE released 3.5 yesterday, does this mean
    that the packaging work of 3.5RC1 will cease immediately and attention
    will turn to 3.5? If so, is there a chance that 3.5 will make it into
    Unstable by Christmas? :-)

    - Nate >>

    --
    Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
    Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.

  5. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    On Wednesday 30 November 2005 13:22, Nate Bargmann wrote:
    > With the announcement that KDE released 3.5 yesterday, does this mean
    > that the packaging work of 3.5RC1 will cease immediately and attention
    > will turn to 3.5? If so, is there a chance that 3.5 will make it into
    > Unstable by Christmas? :-)

    Well, if you look at alioth, there's a repo already there:

    http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.5.0/

    Jan

    --
    I know what "custody" [of the children] means. "Get even." That's all
    custody means. Get even with your old lady.

  6. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    Dnia ¶roda 30 listopada 2005 13:22, Nate Bargmann napisa³:
    > With the announcement that KDE released 3.5 yesterday, does this mean
    > that the packaging work of 3.5RC1 will cease immediately and attention
    > will turn to 3.5? If so, is there a chance that 3.5 will make it into
    > Unstable by Christmas? :-)

    http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.5.0/ contain 3.5 packages but to get
    it in unstable we have to wait until g++ transition will end, then all KDE
    related software will need to be rebuilt again 3.4.3 from unstable and go
    into testing, then we probably get 3.5 in unstable if no newer transition
    will occure.

    Sometimes I do not like Debian 'unstable' but I use it for few years and
    used to all those transitions which make things better (but worse during
    them).

    --
    JID: hrw-jabber.org
    Sharp Zaurus C-760 (OZ 3.5.x)

    There are three types of people:
    Those who don't know what happened, those who wonder what happened,
    and people like us, that MAKE THINGS HAPPEN.

  7. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    * Marcin Juszkiewicz [Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:51:38 +0100]:

    > Sometimes I do not like Debian 'unstable' but I use it for few years and
    > used to all those transitions which make things better (but worse during
    > them).

    It's been certainly very unfortunate (and nobody could've expected it)
    that there's been a need for a second C++-related transition. KDE
    3.5 would be on its way to unstable right now...

    "Share the pain",

    Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
    Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

    discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny..."
    -- Isaac Asimov

  8. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    Dnia środa 30 listopada 2005 14:03, Adeodato Simó napisał:

    > Â* It's been certainly very unfortunate (and nobody could've expectedit)
    > Â* that there's been a need for a second C++-related transition. KDE
    > Â* 3.5 would be on its way to unstable right now...

    I think that it is on its way anyway - as long as you don't need kdepim and
    all KDE related stuff (kdiff3 for example) but only KDE then you can
    install KDE 3.5 final from alioth and report a bugs if find any.

    Here I use KDE 3.5-rc1 packages with kdepim 3.4.2, kde related stuff from
    'unstable before second c++ transition' and it works. Of course I have to
    run KMail, KNode etc separately because KMail embedded into Kontact crash
    on mail sending but it is already reported in bugtracker [1].

    1. http://bugs.debian.org/340893

    --
    JID: hrw-jabber.org
    Sharp Zaurus C-760 (OZ 3.5.x)
    OpenEmbedded/OpenZaurus/OPIE developer

    AMAZING BUT TRUE...
    There is so much sand in Northern Africa that if it were
    spread out it would completely cover the Sahara Desert.

  9. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    *cough cough...* Dr. Mikmak, paging Dr. Mikmak...!!!

    El Miércoles, 30 de Noviembre de 2005 13:51, Marcin Juszkiewicz escribió:
    > http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.5.0/ contain 3.5 package

  10. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    On Wednesday 30 November 2005 13:51, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
    > Dnia ¶roda 30 listopada 2005 13:22, Nate Bargmann napisa³:
    > > With the announcement that KDE released 3.5 yesterday, does this
    > > mean that the packaging work of 3.5RC1 will cease immediately and
    > > attention will turn to 3.5? If so, is there a chance that 3.5 will
    > > make it into Unstable by Christmas? :-)

    > http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.5.0/ contain 3.5 packages but
    > to get it in unstable we have to wait until g++ transition will end,
    > then all KDE related software will need to be rebuilt again 3.4.3
    > from unstable and go into testing, then we probably get 3.5 in
    > unstable if no newer transition will occure.

    why not stop wasting resources and halt work on 3.4.3 and go with 3.5
    immediately, anyway etch will come with 3.5 I guess... no?

    > Sometimes I do not like Debian 'unstable' but I use it for few years
    > and used to all those transitions which make things better (but worse
    > during them).

  11. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    On Wednesday 30 November 2005 02:17 pm, Yves Glodt wrote:
    > why not stop wasting resources and halt work on 3.4.3 and go with 3.5
    > immediately, anyway etch will come with 3.5 I guess... no?

    The release team asked us not to do that. They want the g++ allocator
    transition to go quickly, which means not uploading major new versions of
    large packages like KDE. Once the g++ using the default allocator is in
    testing (along with KDE 3.4.3), KDE 3.5 will be uploaded to unstable, but
    probably not until then.

    Josh

  12. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    On Wednesday 30 November 2005 20:26, Josh Metzler wrote:
    > On Wednesday 30 November 2005 02:17 pm, Yves Glodt wrote:
    > > why not stop wasting resources and halt work on 3.4.3 and go with
    > > 3.5 immediately, anyway etch will come with 3.5 I guess... no?

    > The release team asked us not to do that. They want the g++
    > allocator transition to go quickly, which means not uploading major
    > new versions of large packages like KDE.

    But for the g++ allocator transition all KDE packages must be updated
    anyway. Now you want to update all KDE 3.4 packages to update them some
    days later again with 3.5 packages. Isn't that more work than to go to
    3.5 directly?

    Cheers,
    André

  13. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    A Dimecres 30 Novembre 2005 14:03, Adeodato Simó va escriure:
    > * Marcin Juszkiewicz [Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:51:38 +0100]:
    > > Sometimes I do not like Debian 'unstable' but I use it for few years and
    > > used to all those transitions which make things better (but worse during
    > > them).

    > It's been certainly very unfortunate (and nobody could've expected it)
    > that there's been a need for a second C++-related transition. KDE
    > 3.5 would be on its way to unstable right now...
    >
    > "Share the pain",

    Well, I don't know how to translate it to english, but there are two sayings
    that come to my mind in spanish:
    1) Mal de muchos consuelo de tontos
    2) sarna con gusto no pica

    well, if we have to suffer for Debian, well, we will suffer!!!

    Leo

    --
    Linux User 152692
    Catalonia

  14. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    On Wednesday 30 November 2005 03:47 pm, André Wöbbeking wrote:
    > On Wednesday 30 November 2005 20:26, Josh Metzler wrote:
    > > On Wednesday 30 November 2005 02:17 pm, Yves Glodt wrote:
    > > > why not stop wasting resources and halt work on 3.4.3 and go with
    > > > 3.5 immediately, anyway etch will come with 3.5 I guess... no?

    > > The release team asked us not to do that. They want the g++
    > > allocator transition to go quickly, which means not uploading major
    > > new versions of large packages like KDE.

    > But for the g++ allocator transition all KDE packages must be updated
    > anyway. Now you want to update all KDE 3.4 packages to update them some
    > days later again with 3.5 packages. Isn't that more work than to go to
    > 3.5 directly?

    It is more work for us, but not too much. It is basically just running a
    couple of scripts and then rebuilding each package, as KDE 3.4.3 was
    already packaged for experimental, and not much has changed since then.

    The release team is concerned with both the transition in unstable, and the
    transition in testing. The concern is that uploading KDE 3.5 to unstable
    right now might cause a longer delay in getting the g++ allocator
    transition (which affects much more than just KDE) into testing. The
    release team doesn't want unstable->testing migrations to stop for any
    longer than is necessary. Hopefully the transition will go quickly and KDE
    3.5 can go into unstable soon.

    Josh

  15. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    Spanish's sayings translator mode on.

    Leopold Palomo Avellaneda:
    Adeodato Simó:

    > > "Share the pain",

    > Well, I don't know how to translate it to english, but there are two
    > sayings that come to my mind in spanish:
    > 1) Mal de muchos consuelo de tontos

    It is less painful when you share the pain (just what dato said).

    > 2) sarna con gusto no pica

    if you like something you'll do it whatever the cost

    > well, if we have to suffer for Debian, well, we will suffer!!!

    BTW, Do you really think it is suffering? I enjoy Debian every day

    Ana

    Renovamos el Correo Yahoo!
    Nuevos servicios, más seguridad
    http://correo.yahoo.es

  16. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    * André Wöbbeking [Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:47:14 +0100]:

    (Josh has already replied, but I had already written this before
    realizing he had, so sending anyway.)

    > On Wednesday 30 November 2005 20:26, Josh Metzler wrote:
    > > On Wednesday 30 November 2005 02:17 pm, Yves Glodt wrote:
    > > > why not stop wasting resources and halt work on 3.4.3 and go with
    > > > 3.5 immediately, anyway etch will come with 3.5 I guess... no?

    > > The release team asked us not to do that. They want the g++
    > > allocator transition to go quickly, which means not uploading major
    > > new versions of large packages like KDE.

    > But for the g++ allocator transition all KDE packages must be updated
    > anyway. Now you want to update all KDE 3.4 packages to update them some
    > days later again with 3.5 packages. Isn't that more work than to go to
    > 3.5 directly?

    Yes, it is more work, but it is also what helps Debian as a whole the
    most. See, experience tells us that a major KDE version (x.y.0) always
    produces a bit of trouble on unstable, no matter how much you prepare
    it in e.g. Alioth. See e.g. Christopher's comments [1] about the
    possibility of kdelibs breaking on several architectures: then, we'd
    be holding up the allocator transition for all of KDE apps, until we
    fixed it, and further delaying the date of start of other transitions
    to come (python, freetype).

    [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-qt-kd.../msg00332.html

    So, instead, you upload to unstable versions that are known to work,
    and which are known to not make other packages FTBFS, which enables
    you (one the library is transitioned in all arches) to use semi-automatic
    mechanism to update the rest of packages (binary NMUs), knowing _in
    advance_ that they'll work. This all ends up in the transition that
    goes faster (well, in Debian terms, anyway; objectively, it's still
    long).

    (The above mentioned semi-automatic mechanisms could have been used
    for KDE itself, just recompiling all of 3.4.2 against kdelibs4c2a. But
    well, kdelibs itself takes a while to be ready everywhere (hppa is
    hitting badly on us), so while we wait, we go and upload 3.4.3, which
    is more effort but it'll be nice to have in testing during all the
    weeks that KDE 3.5 will be getting in shape in unstable.)

    Hope this helps you understand better the decision. Check, specially,
    the "and further delaying..." line in the first paragraph.

    Cheers,

    Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
    Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

    From the moment I picked your book up until I put it down I was
    convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it.
    -- Groucho Marx

  17. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    * Josh Metzler [2005 Nov 30 16:48 -0600]:
    > On Wednesday 30 November 2005 03:47 pm, André Wöbbeking wrote:
    > > >
    > > > The release team asked us not to do that. They want the g++
    > > > allocator transition to go quickly, which means not uploading major
    > > > new versions of large packages like KDE.

    > > But for the g++ allocator transition all KDE packages must be updated
    > > anyway. Now you want to update all KDE 3.4 packages to update them some
    > > days later again with 3.5 packages. Isn't that more work than to go to
    > > 3.5 directly?

    > It is more work for us, but not too much. It is basically just running a
    > couple of scripts and then rebuilding each package, as KDE 3.4.3 was
    > already packaged for experimental, and not much has changed since then.
    >
    > The release team is concerned with both the transition in unstable, and the
    > transition in testing. The concern is that uploading KDE 3.5 to unstable
    > right now might cause a longer delay in getting the g++ allocator
    > transition (which affects much more than just KDE) into testing. The
    > release team doesn't want unstable->testing migrations to stop for any
    > longer than is necessary. Hopefully the transition will go quickly and KDE
    > 3.5 can go into unstable soon.

    Thanks for the update, Josh. I shall be patient although this C++
    thing is getting on my nerves!

    - Nate >>

    --
    Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
    Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.
    http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/ | "Debian, the choice of
    My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @ | a GNU generation!"
    http://www.networksplus.net/n0nb/ | http://www.debian.org

  18. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    On Wednesday 30 November 2005 23:16, Adeodato Simó wrote:

    > Hope this helps you understand better the decision. Check,
    > specially, the "and further delaying..." line in the first paragraph.

    Thanks for your detailed explanation. I understand your concerns. I
    thought that KDE 3.5.0 is, well maybe not rock stable, but at least
    ready to roll out.

    Cheers,
    André

  19. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    Rafael Rodríguez a écrit :
    > *cough cough...* Dr. Mikmak, paging Dr. Mikmak...!!!
    >
    > El Miércoles, 30 de Noviembre de 2005 13:51, Marcin Juszkiewicz escribió:
    >
    >>http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.5.0/ contain 3.5 package

    btw, CC-me next time if you want to pick my attention
    I dont read the lists often

    Cheers,
    Mik

  20. Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

    Rafael Rodríguez a écrit :
    > *cough cough...* Dr. Mikmak, paging Dr. Mikmak...!!!
    >
    > El Miércoles, 30 de Noviembre de 2005 13:51, Marcin Juszkiewicz escribió:
    >
    >>http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.5.0/ contain 3.5 package

    compilation almost finished for most packages.
    you'll find the update at the usual place

    Cheers,
    Mik