kde does not start - Debian

This is a discussion on kde does not start - Debian ; I've hit a bit of a problem with my desktop where KDE no longer starts - I don't even see KSplash (ksmserver has started though). This is particularly strange since another user I created is ok (and KDM) and my ...

  1. kde does not start

    I've hit a bit of a problem with my desktop where KDE no longer starts - I
    don't even see KSplash (ksmserver has started though). This is particularly
    strange since another user I created is ok (and KDM) and my account still
    won't work even when i remove ~/.kde*.

    Is there anywhere I can look for logs (kdm.log has nothing) or any other
    ideas for debugging? This is all with up-to-date 3.4 packages from sid.

    Thanks,
    Tom

  2. Re: kde does not start

    Am Montag, 14. November 2005 12:11 schrieb Tom A:
    | I've hit a bit of a problem with my desktop where KDE no longer starts - I
    | don't even see KSplash (ksmserver has started though). This is particularly
    | strange since another user I created is ok (and KDM) and my account still
    | won't work even when i remove ~/.kde*.

    If it is just one user, try also (re)moving the following:
    ~/.qt
    everything in /tmp that belongs to that user.

    Has helped for me before, when KDE had start problems after playing around too
    much.

  3. Re: kde does not start

    On Monday 14 November 2005 06:11 am, Tom A wrote:

    > Is there anywhere I can look for logs (kdm.log has nothing) or any other
    > ideas for debugging? This is all with up-to-date 3.4 packages from sid.

    I don't know if this will help in your particular case or not, but I ran into
    something like this a couple weeks ago, and I've had the same problem on an
    assortment of boxes. The cure in all cases was to use the supplied config
    files that came in with the new packages. kdmrc and maybe Xsession... I
    forget which ones exactly, but something changed in the XFree86 to X.org
    transition that broke the old config files in some way I never quite worked
    out.

    --
    Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
    http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

  4. Re: kde does not start

    On 11/16/05, Silvan wrote:
    > On Monday 14 November 2005 06:11 am, Tom A wrote:
    >
    > > Is there anywhere I can look for logs (kdm.log has nothing) or any other
    > > ideas for debugging? This is all with up-to-date 3.4 packages from sid.

    > I don't know if this will help in your particular case or not, but I ran into
    > something like this a couple weeks ago, and I've had the same problem on an
    > assortment of boxes. The cure in all cases was to use the supplied config
    > files that came in with the new packages. kdmrc and maybe Xsession... I
    > forget which ones exactly, but something changed in the XFree86 to X.org
    > transition that broke the old config files in some way I never quite worked
    > out.

    Hmmm... gmail didn't use the 'reply-to' so only Frank recieved my work
    around....

    I managed to get it to work by removing ~/.font.conf - I had been
    playing with some AA settings in KControl last week and only just
    restarted KDM. I'll do some more fiddling in case I can reproduce the
    problem.

    Cheers,
    Tom

+ Reply to Thread