Problems with hotplug after installing kde 3.4 - Debian

This is a discussion on Problems with hotplug after installing kde 3.4 - Debian ; A few days ago I upgraded kde to 3.4. It removed hotplug of my system, because this xorg didn't run (graphics driver didn't load) , after it I installed hotplug by hand and I it removed hal and udev. I ...

  1. Problems with hotplug after installing kde 3.4

    A few days ago I upgraded kde to 3.4. It removed hotplug of my system,
    because this xorg didn't run (graphics driver didn't load) , after it I
    installed hotplug by hand and I it removed hal and udev. I thinked that
    this conflict would be resolved on some days, today those packets are in
    conflict yet. Some about this?

    Sorry for my english. :P

  2. Re: Problems with hotplug after installing kde 3.4

    Am Montag, 7. November 2005 19:40 schrieb Alvaro:
    > A few days ago I upgraded kde to 3.4. It removed hotplug of my system,
    > because this xorg didn't run (graphics driver didn't load) , after it I
    > installed hotplug by hand and I it removed hal and udev. I thinked that
    > this conflict would be resolved on some days, today those packets are in
    > conflict yet. Some about this?

    There is no real conflict: either use hotplug or udev (which can do the
    hotplug stuff, too).

    The problem is rather with changed behaviour: udev does not contain all the
    device files. This changes the module loading behaviour,
    e.g. /etc/init.d/setserial will not automatically load the serial port
    module.

    Work-around: load the module with /etc/modules.

    By the way: since when does xorg absolutely rely on kernel modules?

    HS