lock screen command? - Debian

This is a discussion on lock screen command? - Debian ; When I select the "K" menu, one of my choices is "lock screen". It's one of the few menu choices which I am unable to find in kmenuedit. Is there a command one can run from the command line which ...

  1. lock screen command?

    When I select the "K" menu, one of my choices is "lock screen".
    It's one of the few menu choices which I am unable to find in kmenuedit.

    Is there a command one can run from the command line which does the
    same thing as "lock screen" from the k menu?

  2. Re: lock screen command?

    Am Mittwoch, 2. November 2005 20:28 schrieb Alan Ezust:
    > When I select the "K" menu, one of my choices is "lock screen".
    > It's one of the few menu choices which I am unable to find in kmenuedit.
    >
    > Is there a command one can run from the command line which does the
    > same thing as "lock screen" from the k menu?

    Try this:

    export DISPLAY=:0.0
    /usr/bin/dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface lock

    regards,
    Jörg

    --
    Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your signature to help me spread!.-.
    PGP Key: send mail with subject 'SEND PGP-KEY' PGP Key-ID: FD 4E 21 1D oo|

  3. Re: lock screen command?

    Alan Ezust schrieb:
    > Is there a command one can run from the command line which does the
    > same thing as "lock screen" from the k menu?

    If you're running the command line as the same user running kde use:
    dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface lock

    If you're running the command line as root and you want to lock the
    Session of user test1 use:
    dcop --user test1 --all-sessions kdesktop KScreensaverIface lock

    --
    Mirco Sippel ,= ,-_-. =. running on
    email: msippel@mirsip.de (( /)0 0(\_)) Debian

  4. Re: lock screen command?

    Am Mittwoch, 2. November 2005 20:28 schrieb Alan Ezust:
    > When I select the "K" menu, one of my choices is "lock screen".
    > It's one of the few menu choices which I am unable to find in kmenuedit.
    >
    > Is there a command one can run from the command line which does the
    > same thing as "lock screen" from the k menu?

    It's called kdesktop_lock

    HS

  5. Re: lock screen command?

    Hendrik Sattler schrieb:
    > Am Mittwoch, 2. November 2005 20:28 schrieb Alan Ezust:
    >
    >>When I select the "K" menu, one of my choices is "lock screen".
    >>It's one of the few menu choices which I am unable to find in kmenuedit.
    >>
    >>Is there a command one can run from the command line which does the
    >>same thing as "lock screen" from the k menu?

    > It's called kdesktop_lock
    >
    > HS

    If you configured your screensaver, that it will lock the session
    after xx seconds kdesktop_lock just activates the sreensaver but
    doesn't lock the session immediately.

    dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface lock does lock the session
    immediately indepent from the screensaver settings.

    --
    Mirco Sippel ,= ,-_-. =. running on
    email: msippel@mirsip.de (( /)0 0(\_)) Debian
    Webmaster von www.rsv-elgershausen.de `-'(. .)`-' GNU / Linux
    Moderator auf www.linux-welten.de \_/ 3.1 "sarge"

  6. Re: lock screen command?

    Am Mittwoch, 2. November 2005 21:43 schrieb Mirco Sippel:
    > dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface lock does lock the session
    > immediately indepent from the screensaver settings.

    kdesktop_lock --forcelock locks the screen immediately.

    regards,
    Jörg