Very slow "Open with..." in KMail - Debian

This is a discussion on Very slow "Open with..." in KMail - Debian ; Hello, I have used KDE for a long time. And for a few months I have a problem which I don't know how to cope with. Sometimes I get attachments in KMail. I click right mouse button on them and ...

  1. Very slow "Open with..." in KMail

    Hello,
    I have used KDE for a long time. And for a few months I have a problem which I
    don't know how to cope with.
    Sometimes I get attachments in KMail. I click right mouse button on them and
    select open with... from context menu. And here my problem appears - I have
    to wait for 3-60 (approximately) seconds before dialog box with programs to
    choose will appear on the screen. It is always reproducible. It depends
    somehow on size of the attachment (the bigger one, the longer I have to
    wait).
    It is at least irritating to me. I have observed it in at least all 3.4.x KDE
    versions (currently 3.4.3 Debian packages).
    I have tried to run strace on kmail, but even with -f switch (follow forks)
    times reported by the tool were bizarre (less than a second, when I had 10
    seconds delay).
    I have tried to search the google, without any results.
    How can I do something with the problem?

    Best regards,
    Robert

  2. Re: Very slow "Open with..." in KMail

    I have exactly the same behavior here on latest sid. But the start of
    this behavior is older as far as I remember. I'm not sure, but I think
    it was already present in 3.3.2.

    If I just click on the attachment and open with the offered application,
    there is no delay. But open-with in general got slow. I haven't tried
    to make a new user and to test this with a clean .kde. That would be
    the next step to do IMHO

    Best,

    Rigo

    Am Friday 28 October 2005 23:49 verlautbarte Robert Gomułka :
    > Hello,
    > Sometimes I get attachments in KMail. I click right mouse button on
    > them and select open with... from context menu. And here my problem
    > appears - I have to wait for 3-60 (approximately) seconds before
    > dialog box with programs to choose will appear on the screen. It is
    > always reproducible. It depends somehow on size of the attachment
    > (the bigger one, the longer I have to wait).

  3. Re: Very slow "Open with..." in KMail

    Dnia niedziela, 30 października 2005 21:37, Rigo Wenning napisał:
    > I have exactly the same behavior here on latest sid. But the start of
    > this behavior is older as far as I remember. I'm not sure, but I think
    > it was already present in 3.3.2.
    >
    > If I just click on the attachment and open with the offered application,
    > there is no delay. But open-with in general got slow. I haven't tried
    > to make a new user and to test this with a clean .kde. That would be
    > the next step to do IMHO
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Rigo

    Thank you for your answer.
    Have you got any idea how to debug this behaviour?
    I have tried to:
    1. Clean up my e-mails. I have copied them, then deleted from kmail. I have
    thought that it helped, but now must say it didn't.
    2. Created a brand new user, then sent him an e-mail with attachment. In his
    case the delay may be also observed, but it is shorter than in my case (about
    2-3 seconds).

    I think it is somehow connected to copying the file to temporary directory.
    But don't understand why it takes so long. And still search for a tool to
    debug this.

    Regards,
    Robert

    --------------------
    W polskim Internecie są setki milionów stron. My przekazujemy Tobie tylko najlepsze z nich!
    http://katalog.epf.pl/

  4. Re: Very slow "Open with..." in KMail

    Am Sonntag 30 Oktober 2005 22:55 schrieb Robert Gomułka:

    > Thank you for your answer.
    > Have you got any idea how to debug this behaviour?
    > I have tried to:
    > 1. Clean up my e-mails. I have copied them, then deleted from kmail. I
    > have thought that it helped, but now must say it didn't.
    > 2. Created a brand new user, then sent him an e-mail with attachment.
    > In his case the delay may be also observed, but it is shorter than in
    > my case (about 2-3 seconds).
    >
    > I think it is somehow connected to copying the file to temporary
    > directory. But don't understand why it takes so long. And still search
    > for a tool to debug this.

    Hallo Robert,

    I do not think its related to KMail. I am having this in Konqueror as well
    when I use the Open with/Other menu choice on a file. It takes ages for
    the window to appear where I can choose the application I want to use
    with this file.

    It seems to take more time when I do it the first time on a sesson. When I
    do it subsequent time it works a bit faster.

    I also have these delays when editing file types using the Properties
    dialog and the tool symbol there.

    I guess its related to building up a list of all applications, but well
    can that be? The K Menu has such a list too and pops up faster, well it
    likely preloaded it.

    And then there seem to be some time going by for identifying the type
    file, but as Konqueror (or the KDE subsystem doing that) also looks into
    the file, thats understandable.

    Anyway I have the feeling that there is room for optimization. I think its
    worth to file upstream bug report about this, if not already done.

    Regards,