can't start kde - Debian

This is a discussion on can't start kde - Debian ; Hi, I'm new in using debian pure. After first install, install also kde, reboot, the login window appears but after few second kde doesn't start but come back in login window. I'vre reinstalled basic system, without software. I used "apt-get ...

  1. can't start kde

    Hi, I'm new in using debian pure.

    After first install, install also kde, reboot, the
    login window appears but after few second kde doesn't
    start but come back in login window.

    I'vre reinstalled basic system, without software.

    I used "apt-get install kde". Everything ok. From
    console I tried startkde. The message:
    "kpersonalizer: cannot connect to X server" appears
    continually until Ctrl+c. What I have to do?

    Emil

  2. Re: can't start kde

    On Friday 28 October 2005 09:14, Emil-Valentin Toma was heard to say:
    > Hi, I'm new in using debian pure.
    >
    > After first install, install also kde, reboot, the
    > login window appears but after few second kde doesn't
    > start but come back in login window.
    >
    > I'vre reinstalled basic system, without software.
    >
    > I used "apt-get install kde". Everything ok. From
    > console I tried startkde. The message:
    > "kpersonalizer: cannot connect to X server" appears
    > continually until Ctrl+c. What I have to do?
    >
    > Emil

    You also need to "apt-get install xserver-xfree86" and maybe a few
    others to get the full xserver running so that KDE has something to
    display upon.

    I'd suggest dselect, aptitude, tasksel, or one of the other helper
    programs for apt which will help resolve all the xwindow
    requirements.

    Curt-

    --
    September 11th, 2001
    planning advocates in American history

  3. Re: can't start kde

    Emil-Valentin Toma wrote:

    > Hi, I'm new in using debian pure.
    >
    > After first install, install also kde, reboot, the
    > login window appears but after few second kde doesn't
    > start but come back in login window.
    > [...]
    > What I have to do?

    ....post the output of
    $ egrep "\(EE|\(WW" /var/log/XFree86.0.log

    And have a look at this log file. At the end there's probably a message
    that tells you what went wrong. Probably there's something wrong with
    your configuration.

    Ulrich

  4. Re: can't start kde

    Emil-Valentin Toma schrieb:
    > Hi, I'm new in using debian pure.
    >
    > After first install, install also kde, reboot, the
    > login window appears but after few second kde doesn't
    > start but come back in login window.

    I had similar difficulties with three Sarge installations. The default
    is Gnome and gdm. It is possible to select software during installation
    with the program aptitude, but this is a dangerous program with a not
    very intuitive pseudo-GUI unsuitable for newcomers, so it is easy to
    foul things up at this stage. I suggest doing a complete new install of
    full graphical destop system not selecting anything with aptitude. You
    should then eventually get a graphical login screen (called gdm). This
    will start Gnome by default but it should be possible to select KDE as well.

    An easier alternative is to install KDE-Debian is from Knoppix. First
    start the Knoppix Live-CD or Live-DVD, e.g. Version 4.0. Then you can
    invoke the knoppix-installer (I believe it is called just that) from the
    root shell and select the Debian installation. You could also use the
    live-CD for a while as it is and create a permanent home on hard disk,
    which will not only hold data but also configurations and installed
    software. A system called union file system merges the files from home
    and from the CD. When everything is to your liking, you can then start
    the installation onto hard disk and all the changes will be
    incorporated. This is a quite unique and splendid way of installing.
    There is no difficulty if you have the required partitions and know
    where they are and do not have a complicated multiboot-system with
    various systems on various disks.

    However with Debian from Knoppix you will then have many programs from
    the unstable (Sid) fork of Debian, and some from testing (Etch), so you
    will eventually get problems, especially with KDE, if you start to
    install or uninstall things without paying great attention. Installing
    software can be done with kpackage, but IMHO synaptic is easier to use.
    Synaptic will relatively clearly warn you before removing KDE
    completely, which is often a result of trying to install, remove or
    update a single program in KDE. Knoppix uses standard Debian packages
    for most things.

    A further alternative is to install Kubuntu, which will give you a well
    configured KDE Debian-based system, but Kubuntu is not Debian and I'm
    not sure if it can be easily turned into a pure Debian.

    Theo Schmidt

  5. Re: can't start kde

    Check if your local interface (lo) is mounted at boot in
    (/etc/network/interfaces) ;-)

    Tristan.

    Le Samedi 29 Octobre 2005 09:59, Theo Schmidt a écrit*:
    > Emil-Valentin Toma schrieb:
    > > Hi, I'm new in using debian pure.
    > >
    > > After first install, install also kde, reboot, the
    > > login window appears but after few second kde doesn't
    > > start but come back in login window.

    > I had similar difficulties with three Sarge installations. The default
    > is Gnome and gdm. It is possible to select software during installation
    > with the program aptitude, but this is a dangerous program with a not
    > very intuitive pseudo-GUI unsuitable for newcomers, so it is easy to
    > foul things up at this stage. I suggest doing a complete new install of
    > full graphical destop system not selecting anything with aptitude. You
    > should then eventually get a graphical login screen (called gdm). This
    > will start Gnome by default but it should be possible to select KDE as
    > well.
    >
    > An easier alternative is to install KDE-Debian is from Knoppix. First
    > start the Knoppix Live-CD or Live-DVD, e.g. Version 4.0. Then you can
    > invoke the knoppix-installer (I believe it is called just that) from the
    > root shell and select the Debian installation. You could also use the
    > live-CD for a while as it is and create a permanent home on hard disk,
    > which will not only hold data but also configurations and installed
    > software. A system called union file system merges the files from home
    > and from the CD. When everything is to your liking, you can then start
    > the installation onto hard disk and all the changes will be
    > incorporated. This is a quite unique and splendid way of installing.
    > There is no difficulty if you have the required partitions and know
    > where they are and do not have a complicated multiboot-system with
    > various systems on various disks.
    >
    > However with Debian from Knoppix you will then have many programs from
    > the unstable (Sid) fork of Debian, and some from testing (Etch), so you
    > will eventually get problems, especially with KDE, if you start to
    > install or uninstall things without paying great attention. Installing
    > software can be done with kpackage, but IMHO synaptic is easier to use.
    > Synaptic will relatively clearly warn you before removing KDE
    > completely, which is often a result of trying to install, remove or
    > update a single program in KDE. Knoppix uses standard Debian packages
    > for most things.
    >
    > A further alternative is to install Kubuntu, which will give you a well
    > configured KDE Debian-based system, but Kubuntu is not Debian and I'm
    > not sure if it can be easily turned into a pure Debian.
    >
    > Theo Schmidt

  6. Re: can't start kde

    is he/she saying startx and not startkde? That had me bamboozeled for
    the longest time...

+ Reply to Thread