Re: Kde devices's automounting on desktop - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Kde devices's automounting on desktop - Debian ; Am Samstag 22 Oktober 2005 13:13 schrieb Joćo Silva: > Hi, > does anybody knows if exists any aplication > that automatically mounts devices on desktop > like gnome do? Hello Joćo, KDE 3.4 has inbuilt functionality for this using ...

  1. Re: Kde devices's automounting on desktop

    Am Samstag 22 Oktober 2005 13:13 schrieb Joćo Silva:
    > Hi,
    > does anybody knows if exists any aplication
    > that automatically mounts devices on desktop
    > like gnome do?

    Hello Joćo,

    KDE 3.4 has inbuilt functionality for this using the media:// kio slave,
    hal, udev and D-BUS. Either just use the media:// kio slave or configure
    the desktop which device symbols it should display (context menu from
    desktop, "Behaviour/Device symbols" or something like that, have it in
    german here). It does not automount, but it puts an icon (or more when
    there are several partitions on the medium) that you can click to mount
    it. KDE 3.5 adds to that that it pops up a window when you insert a
    medium.

    For KDE 3.3 you can use usbmount and hook in a script that puts an icon on
    the desktop. I have made one that I can send to you.

    Regards,

  2. Re: Kde devices's automounting on desktop

    Martin Steigerwald wrote:

    > KDE 3.4 ... does not automount, but it puts an icon (or more when
    > there are several partitions on the medium) that you can click to mount
    > it.

    I don't think that's _quite_ right. aiui, if you create the correct
    hal .fdi files, you can specify that the device be automounted. Gnome
    seems to have better support for that end of things.
    --
    derek

  3. Re: Kde devices's automounting on desktop

    On Friday 28 October 2005 08:24, Derek Broughton wrote:

    > Martin Steigerwald wrote:
    > > KDE 3.4 ... does not automount, but it puts an icon (or
    > > more when there are several partitions on the medium) that
    > > you can click to mount it.

    > I don't think that's _quite_ right. aiui, if you create the
    > correct hal .fdi files, you can specify that the device be
    > automounted. Gnome seems to have better support for that
    > end of things. --
    > derek

    As I write this I am upgrading a notebook to KDE 3.4. Before
    the upgrade, the notebook had a new net install of
    Debian/Testing -- using the Sarge net installer, RC3 -- not
    exactly up to date, but it worked with a few kinks.

    With only some parts of 3.4 installed, I restarted KDE and got
    the 3.4 login screen. I logged in, opened Konq, clicked on
    storage media, and then plugged in a SanDisk flash drive. Its
    icon immediately appeared, correctly labeled. When I clicked
    on the drive's icon, it mounted and Konq correctly displayed
    the contents. Files opened properly, etc.

    The context menu for the icon lists 'mount' and 'safely
    remove.' It does not have 'unmount' as an option -- even when
    the device is mounted. The icon properly indicates if the
    device is mounted or not. "Safely remove' seems to have
    replaced 'unmount' for removeable media.

    It seems to work just as Martin indicated -- and was the
    primary reason I chose to get the 3.4 from Sid.

    While it may be possible to script things so that the device is
    mounted automatically when it is plugged in, I see that as an
    unnecessary risk for removeable media, at least for my current
    applications. I prefer it to mount when I click on the icon,
    so I'm happy with what I am finding in 3.4.

    N.P.

  4. Re: Kde devices's automounting on desktop

    Null Pointer wrote:

    > On Friday 28 October 2005 08:24, Derek Broughton wrote:
    >
    >> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
    >> > KDE 3.4 ... does not automount, but it puts an icon (or
    >> > more when there are several partitions on the medium) that
    >> > you can click to mount it.

    >> I don't think that's _quite_ right. aiui, if you create the
    >> correct hal .fdi files, you can specify that the device be
    >> automounted. Gnome seems to have better support for that
    >> end of things.

    > With only some parts of 3.4 installed, I restarted KDE and got
    > the 3.4 login screen. I logged in, opened Konq, clicked on
    > storage media, and then plugged in a SanDisk flash drive. Its
    > icon immediately appeared, correctly labeled. When I clicked
    > on the drive's icon, it mounted and Konq correctly displayed
    > the contents. Files opened properly, etc.
    >
    > The context menu for the icon lists 'mount' and 'safely
    > remove.' It does not have 'unmount' as an option -- even when
    > the device is mounted. The icon properly indicates if the
    > device is mounted or not. "Safely remove' seems to have
    > replaced 'unmount' for removeable media.
    >
    > It seems to work just as Martin indicated -- and was the
    > primary reason I chose to get the 3.4 from Sid.

    Exactly - why I said not "quite" right. That's the way everything works by
    default, and is definitely good enough for me.

    > While it may be possible to script things so that the device is
    > mounted automatically when it is plugged in, I see that as an
    > unnecessary risk for removeable media, at least for my current
    > applications. I prefer it to mount when I click on the icon,
    > so I'm happy with what I am finding in 3 he;.

    It's not a matter of scripting, but of setting attributes for specific
    devices & media. You could, for instance (I think) make your CD player
    only automount CDs with specific volume labels - way too much work to do by
    hand, but some helper program might take advantage of it. For instance,
    your audio player might have a record of all the CDs you've played, and add
    their labels into hal's database so that whenever you reinsert a CD from
    your audio collection it is automatically played.

    I don't see automounting a USB memory stick to be an unnecessary risk, and
    I've seen enough users demanding it and then writing their own .fdi's so
    that their sticks do automount. It's "unmounting" that's the problem :-)
    --
    derek