java runtime in Browser - Debian

This is a discussion on java runtime in Browser - Debian ; Hi everybody, I am new to Linux and Debian, I have installed firefox browser using package manager, when I visited site requiring Java, missing plug-in was displayed. I click to install the plug-in in the Firefox page, but it poped ...

  1. java runtime in Browser

    Hi everybody,

    I am new to Linux and Debian, I have installed firefox browser using
    package manager, when I visited site requiring Java, missing plug-in was
    displayed.

    I click to install the plug-in in the Firefox page, but it poped up
    unavailable message.

    Any idea how to install the plug-in ?

    Thanks

    David

  2. Re: java runtime in Browser

    david schrieb:
    > Any idea how to install the plug-in ?

    Insert the next two lines to /etc/apt/sources.list:
    deb http://debian.sipo.nl sarge all
    deb-src http://debian.sipo.nl sarge all

    Then run as root:
    # apt-get update
    # apt-get install sun-j2re1.5

    The Java Runtime Environment will be installed to /usr/lib/j2re1.5-sun

    Mirco Sippel

  3. Re: java runtime in Browser

    Mirco Sippel wrote:
    > Insert the next two lines to /etc/apt/sources.list:
    > deb http://debian.sipo.nl sarge all
    > deb-src http://debian.sipo.nl sarge all

    or

    deb http://ftp.debian-unofficial.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
    restricted

    > Then run as root:
    > # apt-get update
    > # apt-get install sun-j2re1.5

    and

    apt-get install sun-j2se5.0-jre

    --
    Address: Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
    Email: daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net

  4. Re: java runtime in Browser

    On Thursday 27 October 2005 02:17, david wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I am new to Linux and Debian, I have installed firefox browser using
    > package manager, when I visited site requiring Java, missing plug-in was
    > displayed.
    >
    > I click to install the plug-in in the Firefox page, but it poped up
    > unavailable message.
    >
    > Any idea how to install the plug-in ?

    -> http://wiki.osuosl.org/display/DEV/Java+on+Debian

    # Grab: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp
    # apt-get install java-package fakeroot
    # fakeroot make-jpkg jre-1_5_0_**-linux-i586.bin
    # dpkg -i sun-j2re1.5_1.5.0+update**_i386.deb

    HTH,
    Chris