Re: Some question about KDE in debian in the future - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Some question about KDE in debian in the future - Debian ; [CCing debian-kde so people are aware of this issue's status] On October 22, 2005 10:47, Yves Glodt wrote: > When KDE 3.5 will land in sid, will it this time be compiled with > hidden symbols (-fvisibility), or is it ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Re: Some question about KDE in debian in the future

  1. Re: Some question about KDE in debian in the future

    [CCing debian-kde so people are aware of this issue's status]

    On October 22, 2005 10:47, Yves Glodt wrote:
    > When KDE 3.5 will land in sid, will it this time be compiled with
    > hidden symbols (-fvisibility), or is it still considered unstable?


    Unfortunately, -fvisibility is still too buggy. The main issues are:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=19664
    http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=19520
    http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=20297

    Once these are fixed, and a compiler with those fixes is deployed in Debian,
    then we can take a closer look at enabling -fvisibility. Unfortunately,
    this doesn't seem likely before GCC 4.1, and even that might not have all
    the fixes we need.

    The few distros that currently enable -fvisibility are patching GCC
    themselves, and Debian doesn't usually carry major third-party patches for
    this sort of issue in a key component (patches like that are often rather
    dodgy, not to mention hard to support).

    We'd all very much like to enable this feature, rest assured - but not
    before it's truly ready.

    Cheers,
    Christopher Martin

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Signed by Christopher Martin

    iD8DBQBDW4mnU+gWW+vtsysRAiPUAKC04Brz6MlNVsMWFDttgf e2W3x51gCfdBGU
    1ND9shggl+l6vqXbFZZJNEg=
    =BvpL
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  2. Re: Some question about KDE in debian in the future

    On Sunday 23 October 2005 15:01, Christopher Martin wrote:
    > [CCing debian-kde so people are aware of this issue's status]
    >
    > On October 22, 2005 10:47, Yves Glodt wrote:
    > > When KDE 3.5 will land in sid, will it this time be compiled with
    > > hidden symbols (-fvisibility), or is it still considered unstable?

    >
    > Unfortunately, -fvisibility is still too buggy. The main issues are:
    >
    > http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=19664
    > http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=19520
    > http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=20297
    >
    > Once these are fixed, and a compiler with those fixes is deployed in
    > Debian, then we can take a closer look at enabling -fvisibility.
    > Unfortunately, this doesn't seem likely before GCC 4.1, and even that
    > might not have all the fixes we need.


    I'm running Sid and compile KDE 3.5 from SVN with GCC 4. The only
    problem I see is Debian's GCC configuration:

    --enable-libstdcxx-allocator=mt

    As workaround to disable these allocators I use

    export GLIBCXX_FORCE_NEW=1


    Cheers,
    André

  3. Re: Some question about KDE in debian in the future

    On October 23, 2005 10:17, André Wöbbeking wrote:
    > On Sunday 23 October 2005 15:01, Christopher Martin wrote:
    > > [CCing debian-kde so people are aware of this issue's status]
    > >
    > > On October 22, 2005 10:47, Yves Glodt wrote:
    > > > When KDE 3.5 will land in sid, will it this time be compiled with
    > > > hidden symbols (-fvisibility), or is it still considered unstable?

    > >
    > > Unfortunately, -fvisibility is still too buggy. The main issues are:
    > >
    > > http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=19664
    > > http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=19520
    > > http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=20297
    > >
    > > Once these are fixed, and a compiler with those fixes is deployed in
    > > Debian, then we can take a closer look at enabling -fvisibility.
    > > Unfortunately, this doesn't seem likely before GCC 4.1, and even that
    > > might not have all the fixes we need.

    >
    > I'm running Sid and compile KDE 3.5 from SVN with GCC 4. The only
    > problem I see is Debian's GCC configuration:
    >
    > --enable-libstdcxx-allocator=mt
    >
    > As workaround to disable these allocators I use
    >
    > export GLIBCXX_FORCE_NEW=1


    I haven't tried with KDE 3.5, but it shouldn't make a difference relative to
    3.4.x. You may be able to workaround some of the issues on i386, but one
    sign of the underlying problems is that when built with gcc
    visibility=hidden, many of KDE's shared objects are suddenly marked as
    containing non-PIC code. This breaks completely on some architectures, and
    is a sign of deeper problems on all architectures. -fvisibility is _not_
    ready for prime time. Yet.

    Cheers,
    Christopher Martin

  4. Re: Some question about KDE in debian in the future

    On Sunday 23 October 2005 16:50, Christopher Martin wrote:

    > I haven't tried with KDE 3.5, but it shouldn't make a difference
    > relative to 3.4.x. You may be able to workaround some of the issues
    > on i386, but one sign of the underlying problems is that when built
    > with gcc
    > visibility=hidden, many of KDE's shared objects are suddenly marked
    > as containing non-PIC code. This breaks completely on some
    > architectures, and is a sign of deeper problems on all architectures.
    > -fvisibility is _not_ ready for prime time. Yet.


    I see. I can only say that it works for me on i386 and x86_64.


    Cheers,
    André

+ Reply to Thread