shrink-to-fit in kprinter or kghostview? - Debian

This is a discussion on shrink-to-fit in kprinter or kghostview? - Debian ; I've got some PDF scores I bought and downloaded. They were done using a "universal" page size that isn't US Letter and isn't A4, but somewhere in the middle of both. The notey bits are perfectly legible, but the titles ...

  1. shrink-to-fit in kprinter or kghostview?

    I've got some PDF scores I bought and downloaded. They were done using a
    "universal" page size that isn't US Letter and isn't A4, but somewhere in the
    middle of both. The notey bits are perfectly legible, but the titles and
    footers are getting cut off slightly. It also confuses my printer, and
    causes me to do some annoying manual twiddling to coax it into doing the job.

    One of the pages in the score itself admonishes me to "Be sure to use the
    'shrink to fit' option," but I can find no such thing in KGhostView, or any
    of the standard KDE apps, or KPrinter.

    Am I missing something?

    Maybe suck it up and install the native Adobe thing? I've generally been
    getting on with KGhostView and other free software for several years now, but
    I could install Acroread, I guess, if it has this shrink-to-fit option. I'd
    rather just figure out some way to get KDE to do it though.

    --
    Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
    http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

  2. Re: shrink-to-fit in kprinter or kghostview?

    Sunday, 23 October 2005 11:35, Silvan wrote:
    > I've got some PDF scores I bought and downloaded. They were done
    > using a "universal" page size that isn't US Letter and isn't A4, but
    > somewhere in the middle of both. The notey bits are perfectly
    > legible, but the titles and footers are getting cut off slightly. It
    > also confuses my printer, and causes me to do some annoying manual
    > twiddling to coax it into doing the job.

    Sounds like it might be PA4 (210 * 280 mm, known as "universal" in tools
    like htmldoc), which is designed to fit on either standard A4 or US
    letter size paper (it uses the smaller respective value of the two
    formats for its height and width). This is the format used by the Linux
    Documentation Project, for example. Of course, your printer's margins
    for any given paper size may be different from what the document's
    designer expected.

    > One of the pages in the score itself admonishes me to "Be sure to use
    > the 'shrink to fit' option," but I can find no such thing in
    > KGhostView, or any of the standard KDE apps, or KPrinter.

    I'm not sure about the KDE utilities, but pdftops (note that this is
    different and generally superior to pdf2ps) of the xpdf-utils package
    allows you to specify height and width values so that you can choose
    ones that are within the range of what your printer can handle. Its
    default behaviour is to scale the page accordingly rather than to crop.

    --
    Alex Nordstrom
    http://lx.n3.net/

  3. Re: shrink-to-fit in kprinter or kghostview?

    On Sunday 23 October 2005 12:43 am, Alex Nordstrom wrote:

    > Sounds like it might be PA4 (210 * 280 mm, known as "universal" in tools
    > like htmldoc), which is designed to fit on either standard A4 or US

    I think it's just done for A4 in such a way that the bits that get left off on
    US sized paper are non-essential, actually, now that you mention it. I have
    indeed printed lots of "universal" sized documents without issue, and that's
    obviously not what this is, in spite of the claims made by the place where I
    bought these. (Or my misunderstanding of what they actually said. Not sure,
    and it doesn't really matter at this point.)

    > I'm not sure about the KDE utilities, but pdftops (note that this is
    > different and generally superior to pdf2ps) of the xpdf-utils package
    > allows you to specify height and width values so that you can choose
    > ones that are within the range of what your printer can handle. Its
    > default behaviour is to scale the page accordingly rather than to crop.

    Whatever does the trick, and that did. I'll just run all of these files
    through that and carry on my merry way. It worked perfectly, thanks!