Hi

We use an FAI installation of sarge, selecting our own packages.

We have about 200 computers running sarge, used by our students.

We have the following problem:

Each time a student logs into a different computer, using KDE as their
desktop environment, a new .fonts.cache-1 file is created, of size approx
1M. This takes time to create.

If I install a "vanilla" sarge from a cd and the network
add in the fonts we use
run fc-cache -f
then login,
a .fonts.cache-1 file of 0 size is created.

Note. If fc-cache is not run, the file size is similar to what is created
on our system. However, we run fc-cache as a cron job every night.

If I install debian's icewm on our systems, the large .fonts.cache-1 file
is still created.

It seems likely that we have left a package out, or have something else
misconfigured. I would appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks

Sue McGlashan
CDF System Administrator