Semi-OT: Speed improvement from fontconfig - Debian

This is a discussion on Semi-OT: Speed improvement from fontconfig - Debian ; Hi, This might not be news to everyone but I've just built the latest fontconfig snapshot which includes a performance fix described here - http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1495 The increase in kde/app startup is significant so I thought it might be worth mentioning. ...

  1. Semi-OT: Speed improvement from fontconfig

    Hi,

    This might not be news to everyone but I've just built the latest
    fontconfig snapshot which includes a performance fix described here -
    http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1495

    The increase in kde/app startup is significant so I thought it might
    be worth mentioning.

    Here's how I built it (probably not the best way - eg. version number breaks)...

    apt-get build-dep fontconfig
    apt-get source fontconfig
    wget http://www.fontconfig.org/release/fo...-2.3.91.tar.gz
    tar -xzf fontconfig-2.3.91.tar.gz
    cp -a fontconfig-2.3.2/debian fontconfig-2.3.91/
    cd fontconfig-2.3.91/
    ../debian/rules build
    ../debian/rules binary
    # probably worth stopping kdm at this point
    dpkg -i fontconfig_2.3.2-1_i386.deb
    dpkg -i libfontconfig1_2.3.2-1_i386.deb

    Of course the snapshot may be unstable in other ways so be careful....

    :-)

  2. Re: Semi-OT: Speed improvement from fontconfig

    Tom A wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This might not be news to everyone but I've just built the latest
    > fontconfig snapshot which includes a performance fix described here -
    > http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1495
    >
    > The increase in kde/app startup is significant so I thought it might
    > be worth mentioning.

    That's nice to hear... may I ask what "significant" means to you... :-)

    best regards,
    Yves

    > Here's how I built it (probably not the best way - eg. version number breaks)...
    >
    > apt-get build-dep fontconfig
    > apt-get source fontconfig
    > wget http://www.fontconfig.org/release/fo...-2.3.91.tar.gz
    > tar -xzf fontconfig-2.3.91.tar.gz
    > cp -a fontconfig-2.3.2/debian fontconfig-2.3.91/
    > cd fontconfig-2.3.91/
    > ./debian/rules build
    > ./debian/rules binary
    > # probably worth stopping kdm at this point
    > dpkg -i fontconfig_2.3.2-1_i386.deb
    > dpkg -i libfontconfig1_2.3.2-1_i386.deb
    >
    > Of course the snapshot may be unstable in other ways so be careful....
    >
    > :-)

  3. Re: Semi-OT: Speed improvement from fontconfig

    Tom A wrote:

    > On 10/20/05, *Yves Glodt* > wrote:
    >
    > Tom A wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > This might not be news to everyone but I've just built the latest
    > > fontconfig snapshot which includes a performance fix described here -
    > > http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1495
    > >
    > > The increase in kde/app startup is significant so I thought it might
    > > be worth mentioning.

    > That's nice to hear... may I ask what "significant" means to you... :-)
    >

    > To me significant == noticable
    >
    > I'd say from about 1 second down to < 0.5 for opening konsoles.

    Cool! Will try it out tonight! Btw, your steps to build the deb worked
    fine on a testing box here.

    regards,
    Yves

    > Tom
    >

    > best regards,
    > Yves

  4. Re: Semi-OT: Speed improvement from fontconfig

    I'm having a problem with fontconfig and kde.

    Every so often, all my fonts go away. Nothing but little boxes.
    xterm works fine, only kde apps are affected.

    dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig does not fix the problem. What does fix
    the problem is to go to /usr/lib and then remove (or rename) fontconfig.a

    Kde running without libfontconfig then initialises itself properly, and
    all is well again. You can move libfontconfig.a back, too. Do you know
    what happens when kde tries to run without libfontconfig? I would like
    to know what it is that needs resetting, so I can better find out how it
    is getting mangled in the first place.

    thanks very much,
    Laura Creighton

    In a message of Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:57:29 +0200, Tom A writes:
    >Hi,
    >
    >This might not be news to everyone but I've just built the latest
    >fontconfig snapshot which includes a performance fix described here -
    >http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1495
    >
    >The increase in kde/app startup is significant so I thought it might
    >be worth mentioning.
    >
    >Here's how I built it (probably not the best way - eg. version number bre
    >aks)...
    >
    >apt-get build-dep fontconfig
    >apt-get source fontconfig
    >wget http://www.fontconfig.org/release/fo...-2.3.91.tar.gz
    >tar -xzf fontconfig-2.3.91.tar.gz
    >cp -a fontconfig-2.3.2/debian fontconfig-2.3.91/
    >cd fontconfig-2.3.91/
    >./debian/rules build
    >./debian/rules binary
    ># probably worth stopping kdm at this point
    >dpkg -i fontconfig_2.3.2-1_i386.deb
    >dpkg -i libfontconfig1_2.3.2-1_i386.deb
    >
    >Of course the snapshot may be unstable in other ways so be careful....
    >
    >:-)

  5. Re: Semi-OT: Speed improvement from fontconfig

    On Thursday 20 October 2005 08:11 am, Laura Creighton wrote:
    > I'm having a problem with fontconfig and kde.
    >
    > Every so often, all my fonts go away. Nothing but little boxes.
    > xterm works fine, only kde apps are affected.
    >
    > dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig does not fix the problem. What does fix
    > the problem is to go to /usr/lib and then remove (or rename) fontconfig.a
    >
    > Kde running without libfontconfig then initialises itself properly, and
    > all is well again. You can move libfontconfig.a back, too. Do you know
    > what happens when kde tries to run without libfontconfig? I would like
    > to know what it is that needs resetting, so I can better find out how it
    > is getting mangled in the first place.

    This seems fairly strange to me. libfontconfig.a is part of the
    libfontconfig1-dev and is a static library. Its only use is to statically
    link it into other applications or libraries. It should not affect kde at
    all, as kde is dynamically linked to fontconfig and so
    uses /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.

    So, are you sure that removing/renaming that file is what fixes your
    problem? Could it just be restarting kde that is doing it?

    If it is that file that is causing you problems, uninstalling
    libfontconfig1-dev should remove it from your system.

    Josh

  6. Re: Semi-OT: Speed improvement from fontconfig

    In a message of Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:07:53 EDT, Josh Metzler writes:
    >On Thursday 20 October 2005 08:11 am, Laura Creighton wrote:
    >> I'm having a problem with fontconfig and kde.
    >>
    >> Every so often, all my fonts go away. Nothing but little boxes.
    >> xterm works fine, only kde apps are affected.
    >>
    >> dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig does not fix the problem. What does fix
    >> the problem is to go to /usr/lib and then remove (or rename) fontconfig

    >.a
    >>
    >> Kde running without libfontconfig then initialises itself properly, and
    >> all is well again. You can move libfontconfig.a back, too. Do you kno

    >> what happens when kde tries to run without libfontconfig? I would like
    >> to know what it is that needs resetting, so I can better find out how i

    >> is getting mangled in the first place.

    >This seems fairly strange to me. libfontconfig.a is part of the
    >libfontconfig1-dev and is a static library. Its only use is to statically
    >link it into other applications or libraries. It should not affect kde at
    >all, as kde is dynamically linked to fontconfig and so
    >uses /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.
    >
    >So, are you sure that removing/renaming that file is what fixes your
    >problem? Could it just be restarting kde that is doing it?

    Definitely restarting kde has absolutely no effect whatsoever. However,
    I also moved /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so so it could be that this was
    the moving that fixed things. What happened was strange -- my
    intention was to recompile the libfontconfig library by hand. So
    I moved /usr/lib/fontconfig* to /usr/lib/oldfontconfigs, on the theory
    that it is always possible to make things even worse than they are now,
    and if I did so, it would be nice to revert back. Then, before I could
    get around to recompiling it, I needed to immediately reboot the machine
    to fix a completely unrelated problem with an experimental hardware I am
    writing. To my astonishment, things came up ok.

    Since that time I have had the 'fonts go away' problem twice, and
    both times moving /usr/lib/fontconfig* to a different directory,
    then rebooting the machine, and moving it back has fixed things
    quite nicely. But I do not understand why.

    >If it is that file that is causing you problems, uninstalling
    >libfontconfig1-dev should remove it from your system.

    Unfortunately, I have some packages that depend on it. Indeed this
    may be related to the problem. I typically leave this machine
    running all the time. So when I reboot, and lose all my fonts, I
    have no way of knowing what package update provoked the problem.

    Laura