KMail & KAddressBook - Debian

This is a discussion on KMail & KAddressBook - Debian ; Hi, This is so frustrating. Any help appreciated. I'm using Sarge and with the default desktop install of KDE on a Pentium IV box. KMail is a great tool until I press the button labeled "..." (three dots) to the ...

  1. KMail & KAddressBook

    Hi,

    This is so frustrating. Any help appreciated.

    I'm using Sarge and with the default desktop install of KDE on a Pentium IV
    box. KMail is a great tool until I press the button labeled "..." (three
    dots) to the right of the "To:" field on a new message which pops up the
    Address Selection dialog with the addresses from my address book on the left
    and buttons in the middle to move them to the "Selected Addresses" field on
    the right. But, but, but! there are no scroll bars! and so no way to get to
    the addresses that don't fit on the screen or access the OK and Cancel
    buttons I know are at the bottom of the dialog.

    Maximizing the dialog does not help. All the other dialogs in KMail seem to
    work properly: scroll bars appear when they need to, controls like buttons
    on the bottom of the window remain in the visible portion of the dialog
    window as they should. It's just this one important dialog that misbehaves.

    Any one have a clue what I might do to fix this? Sadly, it makes KMail
    unusable for create an email to a large group of people.

    Andy

  2. Re: KMail & KAddressBook

    Hi Andy

    On Wednesday 19 October 2005 09.14, Andy Streich wrote:

    > I'm using Sarge and with the default desktop install of KDE on a Pentium IV
    > box. KMail is a great tool until I press the button labeled "..." (three
    > dots) to the right of the "To:" field on a new message which pops up the
    > Address Selection dialog with the addresses from my address book on the
    > left and buttons in the middle to move them to the "Selected Addresses"
    > field on the right. But, but, but! there are no scroll bars!

    I also use Debian Sarge, and I cannot reproduce the problem you mention: Ifi
    click the "..."-Button right of the "To" - line, I get scrollbards in the
    address-selection-dialog.

    I have the following versions of kmail/kaddressbook:
    ii kaddressbook 3.3.2-3 KDE NG addressbook application
    ii kmail 3.3.2-3 KDE Email client

    Regards

    Elias

    --
    Elias Gerber, egerber@gmx.net
    CH - Bern

  3. Re: KMail & KAddressBook

    On Wednesday 19 October 2005 08:35 am, Elias Gerber wrote:
    > Hi Andy
    >
    > On Wednesday 19 October 2005 09.14, Andy Streich wrote:
    > > I'm using Sarge and with the default desktop install of KDE on a Pentium
    > > IV box. KMail is a great tool until I press the button labeled "..."
    > > (three dots) to the right of the "To:" field on a new message which pops
    > > up the Address Selection dialog with the addresses from my address book
    > > on the left and buttons in the middle to move them to the "Selected
    > > Addresses" field on the right. But, but, but! there are no scroll bars!

    > I also use Debian Sarge, and I cannot reproduce the problem you mention: If
    > i click the "..."-Button right of the "To" - line, I get scrollbards in the
    > address-selection-dialog.
    >
    > I have the following versions of kmail/kaddressbook:
    > ii kaddressbook 3.3.2-3 KDE NG addressbook application
    > ii kmail 3.3.2-3 KDE Email client

    Could you check that kmail version number again. On my about box mine says
    kmail 1.7.2 (using KDE 3.3.2).

  4. Re: KMail & KAddressBook

    On Thursday 20 October 2005 03.37, Andy Streich wrote:
    > On Wednesday 19 October 2005 08:35 am, Elias Gerber wrote:
    > > I have the following versions of kmail/kaddressbook:
    > > ii kaddressbook 3.3.2-3 KDE NG addressbook application
    > > ii kmail 3.3.2-3 KDE Email client

    > Could you check that kmail version number again. On my about box mine says
    > kmail 1.7.2 (using KDE 3.3.2).

    Yes, kmail is version 1.7.2 (using KDE 3.3.2) too (if I check the about box).
    The other two version-numbers mentioned above are just the versions of the
    packages kmail and kaddressbook from the debian Sarge repository.

    Elias

    --
    Elias Gerber, egerber@gmx.net
    CH - Bern

  5. Re: KMail & KAddressBook

    On Thursday 20 October 2005 13:48, Elias Gerber wrote:
    > On Thursday 20 October 2005 03.37, Andy Streich wrote:
    > > On Wednesday 19 October 2005 08:35 am, Elias Gerber wrote:
    > > > I have the following versions of kmail/kaddressbook:
    > > > ii kaddressbook 3.3.2-3 KDE NG addressbook application
    > > > ii kmail 3.3.2-3 KDE Email client

    > > Could you check that kmail version number again. On my about box mine
    > > says kmail 1.7.2 (using KDE 3.3.2).

    > Yes, kmail is version 1.7.2 (using KDE 3.3.2) too (if I check the about
    > box). The other two version-numbers mentioned above are just the versions
    > of the packages kmail and kaddressbook from the debian Sarge repository.

    Maybe it's a style issue.
    Which style are you using?

    Cheers,
    Kevin

  6. Re: KMail & KAddressBook

    On Thursday 20 October 2005 05:05 am, Kevin Krammer wrote:
    > On Thursday 20 October 2005 13:48, Elias Gerber wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Could you check that kmail version number again. On my about box mine
    > > > says kmail 1.7.2 (using KDE 3.3.2).

    > > Yes, kmail is version 1.7.2 (using KDE 3.3.2) too (if I check the about
    > > box). The other two version-numbers mentioned above are just the versions
    > > of the packages kmail and kaddressbook from the debian Sarge repository.

    > Maybe it's a style issue.
    > Which style are you using?

    Okay, maybe we are on to something :-) What do you mean by style -- I'm
    clueless and can only answer whatever style the default install enables.

    Andy

  7. Re: KMail & KAddressBook

    On Friday 21 October 2005 01:58, Andy Streich wrote:
    > On Thursday 20 October 2005 05:05 am, Kevin Krammer wrote:

    > > > Yes, kmail is version 1.7.2 (using KDE 3.3.2) too (if I check the about
    > > > box). The other two version-numbers mentioned above are just the
    > > > versions of the packages kmail and kaddressbook from the debian Sarge
    > > > repository.

    > > Maybe it's a style issue.
    > > Which style are you using?

    > Okay, maybe we are on to something :-) What do you mean by style -- I'm
    > clueless and can only answer whatever style the default install enables.

    Control Center->Look and Feel->Style

    Default is Keramik if I remember correctly unless you have upgraded from an
    older installation.

    Cheers,
    Kevin

  8. Re: KMail & KAddressBook

    On Friday 21 October 2005 07:29 am, Kevin Krammer wrote:

    > > > Maybe it's a style issue.
    > > > Which style are you using?

    > > Okay, maybe we are on to something :-) What do you mean by style -- I'm
    > > clueless and can only answer whatever style the default install enables.

    > Control Center->Look and Feel->Style
    >
    > Default is Keramik if I remember correctly unless you have upgraded from an
    > older installation.

    Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately no change in behavior after trying several
    different styles. (And yes Keramik was the default.)

    Andy