KDE "Run Command" won't start xterm - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE "Run Command" won't start xterm - Debian ; Does anyone know why I can't open an xterm from the KDE "Run Command" (Alt+F2) since upgrading to KDE 3.4? When I open the dialog and type "xterm", even the correct icon appears (a gear), but when I press enter, ...

  1. KDE "Run Command" won't start xterm

    Does anyone know why I can't open an xterm from the KDE "Run Command"
    (Alt+F2) since upgrading to KDE 3.4?

    When I open the dialog and type "xterm", even the correct icon appears (a
    gear), but when I press enter, an error message appears: "KDEInit could
    not lanch '/usr/bin/xterm'. To check the path I run "echo $PATH > test" in
    "Run Command", after which:
    $ cat test
    /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games

    so it should be able to find /usr/bin/X11/xterm, right?

    Cheers,
    Mathijs

  2. Re: KDE "Run Command" won't start xterm

    Vuossárga, golggotmánu 17. b. 2005 17:11, Mathijs Romans čálii:
    > Does anyone know why I can't open an xterm from the KDE "Run Command"
    > (Alt+F2) since upgrading to KDE 3.4?
    >
    > When I open the dialog and type "xterm", even the correct icon appears (a
    > gear), but when I press enter, an error message appears: "KDEInit could
    > not lanch '/usr/bin/xterm'. To check the path I run "echo $PATH > test" in
    > "Run Command", after which:
    > $ cat test
    > /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
    >
    > so it should be able to find /usr/bin/X11/xterm, right?

    Absolutely.

    A silly question, is xterm installed? What does 'which xterm' say in a konsole
    window?

    --
    Børre

  3. Re: KDE "Run Command" won't start xterm

  4. Re: KDE "Run Command" won't start xterm

    >> so it should be able to find /usr/bin/X11/xterm, right?
    >>

    > Absolutely.
    >
    > A silly question, is xterm installed? What does 'which xterm' say in a konsole
    > window?

    Absolutely.

    $ which xterm
    /usr/bin/X11/xterm

    I type /usr/bin/X11/xterm in the "Run Command" dialog to start an xterm
    now.

    Mathijs

  5. Re: KDE "Run Command" won't start xterm

    El Miércoles, 19 de Octubre de 2005 12:24, Reinhold Kainhofer escribió:
    > On Wednesday 19 October 2005 11:52, Børre Gaup wrote:
    > > Vuossárga, golggotmánu 17. b. 2005 17:11, Mathijs Romans čálii:
    > > > Does anyone know why I can't open an xterm from the KDE "Run Command"
    > > > (Alt+F2) since upgrading to KDE 3.4?
    > > >
    > > > When I open the dialog and type "xterm", even the correct icon appears
    > > > (a gear), but when I press enter, an error message appears: "KDEInit
    > > > could not lanch '/usr/bin/xterm'. To check the path I run "echo $PATH>
    > > > test" in "Run Command", after which:
    > > > $ cat test
    > > > /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
    > > >
    > > > so it should be able to find /usr/bin/X11/xterm, right?

    > > Absolutely.

    > No, not necessarily. The minicli (Alt+F2) uses the environment variables of
    > the kdeinit process (which one of the first processes that are started when
    > you log into KDE) to find and execute applications, while executing "echo
    > $PATH > test" executes a shell (which sources the appropriate .bashrc or
    > tcshrc or cshrc files) and in that shell executs the echo.
    > So, the "echo $PATH" might have different environment variables than
    > minicli uses. If you add /usr/bin/X11 in .bashrc, you might want to do it
    > in ~/.kde/env/*.sh instead.

    This will not be necessary in the near time, as the new xterm package in
    experimental (204-0pre1) is splitted from X.Org and finally moves xterm
    to /usr/bin/xterm. :-)

    Best regards,

    Ender.
    --
    Mr. Anderson! Welcome back, we missed you.
    -- Agent Smith (Matrix Revolutions).

+ Reply to Thread