Is there anything I can do to help getting kdebindings updated - Debian

This is a discussion on Is there anything I can do to help getting kdebindings updated - Debian ; Almost all of KDE has now completed the transition through the ABI change and to 3.4.2, but the kdebindings have not made it yet. There is a bug raised for the transition, but it is 34 days old. I am ...

  1. Is there anything I can do to help getting kdebindings updated

    Almost all of KDE has now completed the transition through the ABI change and
    to 3.4.2, but the kdebindings have not made it yet. There is a bug raised
    for the transition, but it is 34 days old.

    I am not a DD, but I have done some work with the java bindings before, and
    if there is anything I can do to help I would be happy to do so, although my
    other language skills are limited.

    David

  2. Re: Is there anything I can do to help getting kdebindings updated

    On Monday 17 October 2005 12:12, David Goodenough wrote:
    > Almost all of KDE has now completed the transition through the ABI change
    > and to 3.4.2, but the kdebindings have not made it yet. There is a bug
    > raised for the transition, but it is 34 days old.
    >
    > I am not a DD, but I have done some work with the java bindings before, and
    > if there is anything I can do to help I would be happy to do so, although
    > my other language skills are limited.
    >
    > David

    Well I have downloaded the TAR from kde.org, and surprise surprise it
    compiles quite cleanly. I am not sure I should do next. Do I simply copy
    across the Debian directory from the last version? Then what?

    David

  3. Re: Is there anything I can do to help getting kdebindings updated

    On Tuesday 18 October 2005 17:16, David Goodenough wrote:
    > On Monday 17 October 2005 12:12, David Goodenough wrote:
    > > Almost all of KDE has now completed the transition through the ABI change
    > > and to 3.4.2, but the kdebindings have not made it yet. There is a bug
    > > raised for the transition, but it is 34 days old.
    > >
    > > I am not a DD, but I have done some work with the java bindings before,
    > > and if there is anything I can do to help I would be happy to do so,
    > > although my other language skills are limited.
    > >
    > > David

    > Well I have downloaded the TAR from kde.org, and surprise surprise it
    > compiles quite cleanly. I am not sure I should do next. Do I simply copy
    > across the Debian directory from the last version? Then what?
    >
    > David

    I tried building it with dpkg-buildpackage and it complained about a few
    missing Build-Depends. All of them installed except for one, libgcj4-dev
    which is no longer in unstable, its libgcj6-dev instead.

    Then it wanted a /usr/bin/javah, which required me to install
    java-gcj-compat-dev.

    Now it complains about jni.h, and that should be installed by
    java-gcj-compat-dev, but its obviously in the wrong place
    as dpkg-buildpackage can not find it.

    David

  4. Re: Is there anything I can do to help getting kdebindings updated

    On Tuesday, 18 October 2005 18:16, David Goodenough wrote:
    > On Monday 17 October 2005 12:12, David Goodenough wrote:
    > > Almost all of KDE has now completed the transition through the ABI change
    > > and to 3.4.2, but the kdebindings have not made it yet. There is a bug
    > > raised for the transition, but it is 34 days old.
    > >
    > > I am not a DD, but I have done some work with the java bindings before,
    > > and if there is anything I can do to help I would be happy to do so,
    > > although my other language skills are limited.
    > >
    > > David

    > Well I have downloaded the TAR from kde.org, and surprise surprise it
    > compiles quite cleanly.

    Of course, 99.9% of KDE releases compile cleanly

    > I am not sure I should do next. Do I simply copy
    > across the Debian directory from the last version? Then what?

    There are some issues that should be fixed before uploading the new
    kdebindings to Sid (and they are the main reason it's taking this time),
    this is a little list created from an IRC talk with Adeodato Simó:
    * make it build in mips and mipsel: #282134
    * port the packaging stuff to CDBS
    * there are some patches that we should consider
    * other (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgre...rc=kdebindings)

    Best regards

    --
    Isaac Clerencia at Warp Networks, http://www.warp.es
    Work: | Debian:

  5. Re: Is there anything I can do to help getting kdebindings updated

    On Wednesday 19 October 2005 08:19, Isaac Clerencia wrote:
    > On Tuesday, 18 October 2005 18:16, David Goodenough wrote:
    > > On Monday 17 October 2005 12:12, David Goodenough wrote:
    > > > Almost all of KDE has now completed the transition through the ABI
    > > > change and to 3.4.2, but the kdebindings have not made it yet. There
    > > > is a bug raised for the transition, but it is 34 days old.
    > > >
    > > > I am not a DD, but I have done some work with the java bindings before,
    > > > and if there is anything I can do to help I would be happy to do so,
    > > > although my other language skills are limited.
    > > >
    > > > David

    > > Well I have downloaded the TAR from kde.org, and surprise surprise it
    > > compiles quite cleanly.

    > Of course, 99.9% of KDE releases compile cleanly
    >
    > > I am not sure I should do next. Do I simply copy
    > > across the Debian directory from the last version? Then what?

    > There are some issues that should be fixed before uploading the new
    > kdebindings to Sid (and they are the main reason it's taking this time),
    > this is a little list created from an IRC talk with Adeodato Simó:
    > * make it build in mips and mipsel: #282134
    > * port the packaging stuff to CDBS
    > * there are some patches that we should consider
    > * other (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgre...rc=kdebindings)
    >
    > Best regards

    If you look at one of my other responses to this thread you will see that
    dpkg-buildpackage does not want to work. There is a missing build
    dependency (java-gcj-compat-dev) and a problem with the build process
    finding jni.h which is odd given that it builds cleanly from the tar.

    Is this the right list to discuss these things, yours is the first response I
    have got and I would really like to help if I can.

    David

  6. Re: Is there anything I can do to help getting kdebindings updated

  7. Re: Is there anything I can do to help getting kdebindings updated

    * David Goodenough [Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:12:02 +0100]:

    > Almost all of KDE has now completed the transition through the ABI change and
    > to 3.4.2, but the kdebindings have not made it yet. There is a bug raised
    > for the transition, but it is 34 days old.

    > I am not a DD, but I have done some work with the java bindings before, and
    > if there is anything I can do to help I would be happy to do so, although my
    > other language skills are limited.

    I've started working on 3.4.2 kdebindings packages today. This will
    take a bit of time, since the (messy) build-system has to be converted
    to cdbs, several patches reviewed and re-diffed, mipsen builds tested,
    and gcc4 ICEs tested for. There's not much you can do to help with
    this, I'm afraid, other than exercise your patience a bit...

    OTOH, once kdebindings 3.4.2-1 gets uploaded with a cleaner build
    system and all, I'd be happy to see some interested person step to
    help with its maintenance, since it's a package me (and I believe
    other Qt/KDE team members) find tiresome to work with.

    Cheers,

    --
    Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

  8. Re: Is there anything I can do to help getting kdebindings updated

    * Adeodato Simó [Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:31:47 +0200]:

    > * David Goodenough [Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:12:02 +0100]:

    > > Almost all of KDE has now completed the transition through the ABI change and
    > > to 3.4.2, but the kdebindings have not made it yet. There is a bug raised
    > > for the transition, but it is 34 days old.

    > > I am not a DD, but I have done some work with the java bindings before, and
    > > if there is anything I can do to help I would be happy to do so, although my
    > > other language skills are limited.

    > I've started working on 3.4.2 kdebindings packages today. This will
    > take a bit of time, since the (messy) build-system has to be converted
    > to cdbs, several patches reviewed and re-diffed, mipsen builds tested,
    > and gcc4 ICEs tested for. There's not much you can do to help with
    > this, I'm afraid, other than exercise your patience a bit...

    > OTOH, once kdebindings 3.4.2-1 gets uploaded with a cleaner build
    > system and all, I'd be happy to see some interested person step to
    > help with its maintenance, since it's a package me (and I believe
    > other Qt/KDE team members) find tiresome to work with.

    OK, this is done now [1, 2].

    [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel.../msg01819.html
    [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel.../msg01854.html

    Thanks for your patience, please report any problems you may find.

    --
    Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

    Mankind are very odd creatures: one half censure what they practice, the
    other half practice what they censure; the rest always say and do as
    they ought.
    -- Michel de Montaigne