special characters - Debian

This is a discussion on special characters - Debian ; Dear all, I encounter a very weird problem. When my girls friend logs in our machine and uses KDE she has no special characters like umlauts. Everything works fine with icewm and I don't have any problems using either icewm ...

  1. special characters

    Dear all,
    I encounter a very weird problem. When my girls friend logs in our machine
    and uses KDE she has no special characters like umlauts. Everything works
    fine with icewm and I don't have any problems using either icewm or KDE.
    I've checked every configuration option in kcontrol but havn't got to a
    solition so far. Can you give me any hints where to look?

    Thanks,
    Frank
    --
    Frank Zimmermann |
    Kopenhagener Str. 76 | mail: frank.zimmermann001@freenet.de

  2. Re: special characters

    On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:15:52 +0200 Frank Zimmermann wrote:

    > Dear all,
    > I encounter a very weird problem. When my girls friend logs in our
    > machine and uses KDE she has no special characters like umlauts.
    > Everything works fine with icewm and I don't have any problems using
    > either icewm or KDE. I've checked every configuration option in
    > kcontrol but havn't got to a solition so far. Can you give me any
    > hints where to look?

    1) Control panel / Regional and Accessibility / Country/Region & Layout

    and

    2) Control panel / Regional and Accessibility / Keyboard layout
    Layout tab
    Xkb options tab

    You haven't described what you do to get the umlauts. There are
    various ways (as usual!), and it's gets quite confusing. I use this
    option under 'Xkb options', under 'Third level choosers':
    'Press Right Alt to choose 3rd level, Shift+Right Alt-key is
    multi_key'

    To get o umlaut รถ with this setting, there are two ways:

    1) AltGr+[ then o (dead keys method)
    2) Shift+AltGr then " then o (combining key method)

    This page is quite useful:
    http://www.pixelbeat.org/docs/xkeyboard/

    There is also the complication of different keyboard layouts et.c

    Luke

    --
    "Don't mention it. Oh, you didn't." (Marvin the paranoid android)

    Luke Plant || L.Plant.98 (at) cantab.net || http://lukeplant.me.uk/

  3. Re: special characters

    On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 10:31:29AM +0100, Luke Plant wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:15:52 +0200 Frank Zimmermann wrote:
    >
    > > Dear all,
    > > I encounter a very weird problem. When my girls friend logs in our
    > > machine and uses KDE she has no special characters like umlauts.
    > > Everything works fine with icewm and I don't have any problems using
    > > either icewm or KDE. I've checked every configuration option in
    > > kcontrol but havn't got to a solition so far. Can you give me any
    > > hints where to look?

    > 1) Control panel / Regional and Accessibility / Country/Region & Layout
    >
    > and

    German

    > 2) Control panel / Regional and Accessibility / Keyboard layout
    > Layout tab

    generic 105 (Intl) PC

    This is the setting we both use and as I have mentioned above there are no
    problems when I log in.

    > You haven't described what you do to get the umlauts. There are

    Sorry about that, I wasn't thinking. I have a Laptop with a German keyboard,
    so I'm just pressing the corresponding key.

    > Luke

    Frank