Re: all my fonts go away. - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: all my fonts go away. - Debian ; Laura Creighton wrote: >Speaking of commands unknown to me, a debian command that says, 'find >out every package I have loaded and reinstall every last one of them a >second time' would also be useful. I don't know any command ...

  1. Re: all my fonts go away.

    Laura Creighton wrote:

    >Speaking of commands unknown to me, a debian command that says, 'find
    >out every package I have loaded and reinstall every last one of them a
    >second time' would also be useful. I don't know any command like that,
    >or a way to get aptitude to spit out a list of all the packages I have
    >installed into a file someplace where I can make a script out of this.

    Perhaps:
    "dpkg --get-selections >deb-file.txt" to find what's loaded and "dpkg
    --set-selections
    "man dpkg" for details....

    I hope this helps...

    --
    Blessings

    Wulfmann

    Wulf Credo:

  2. Re: all my fonts go away.

    In a message of Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:55:20 BST, Wulfy writes:
    >Laura Creighton wrote:
    >
    >>Speaking of commands unknown to me, a debian command that says, 'find
    >>out every package I have loaded and reinstall every last one of them a
    >>second time' would also be useful. I don't know any command like that,
    >>or a way to get aptitude to spit out a list of all the packages I have
    >>installed into a file someplace where I can make a script out of this.
    >>

    >Perhaps:
    >"dpkg --get-selections >deb-file.txt" to find what's loaded and "dpkg
    >--set-selections >
    >"man dpkg" for details....
    >
    >I hope this helps...
    >
    >--
    >Blessings
    >
    >Wulfmann
    >
    >Wulf Credo:
    >Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack.
    >Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.
    >Share your affections. Voice your opinion. Leave your Mark.
    >

    >--
    >.org

    Alas, this did not work. I do not think that
    dkpg --set-selections actually makes my machine go off and
    download the new packages and reinstalls them. Correct?

    Laura

  3. Re: all my fonts go away.

    Laura Creighton wrote:

    >Alas, this did not work. I do not think that
    >dkpg --set-selections actually makes my machine go off and
    >download the new packages and reinstalls them. Correct?
    >
    >Laura

    You need an "aptitude upgrade" in there, I think after the "set".
    Sorry, I'm something of a newbie myself and forget some details...

    --
    Blessings

    Wulfmann

    Wulf Credo:

  4. Re: all my fonts go away.

    Wulfy wrote:

    > Laura Creighton wrote:
    >
    >> Alas, this did not work. I do not think that dkpg --set-selections
    >> actually makes my machine go off and
    >> download the new packages and reinstalls them. Correct?
    >>
    >> Laura
    >>

    > You need an "aptitude upgrade" in there, I think after the "set".
    > Sorry, I'm something of a newbie myself and forget some details...

    Or perhaps an "aptitude install"?

    --
    Blessings

    Wulfmann

    Wulf Credo:

  5. Re: all my fonts go away.

    Well, I have fixed my problem, but I don't understand exactly why
    I have. I decided that I really needed to get libfontcong regenerated.
    so I made a /usr/lib/fontconfigs and moved the /usr/lib/*fontc* there,
    so that I could move them back if I couldn't get things to biuld.

    And -- dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig did not regenerate the package.
    But the perplexing thing is that when I happened to reboot, all the
    problems went away. So it seems that as long as I don't _have_
    a libfontconfig, then all is well.

    Does anybody understand this? Does anybody know why this works, so
    I can figure out what it is that I need to do next to really fix the
    problem?

    Laura

  6. Re: all my fonts go away.

    Laura Creighton wrote:

    > And -- dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig did not regenerate the package.

    Well, it shouldn't. It just asks you the same questions you were asked
    the first time you installed it.

    > But the perplexing thing is that when I happened to reboot, all the
    > problems went away. So it seems that as long as I don't _have_
    > a libfontconfig, then all is well.

    What does
    $ apt-cache policy fontconfig libfontconfig1
    say? As the reconfiguring of fontconfig worked, you should have
    libfontconfig1 installed. They depend on each other.
    Maybe you should run (as root)
    # aptitude reinstall fontconfig libfontconfig1

    > Does anybody understand this? Does anybody know why this works, so
    > I can figure out what it is that I need to do next to really fix the
    > problem?

    I don't know exactly, but as far as I understand the postinst script of
    fontconfig (which is a depend of libfontconfig) runs "fc-cache". This is
    regenerating the font-database. So maybe this solved you're problem.

    Ulrich