How can I sync. my USB drive with /home? - Debian

This is a discussion on How can I sync. my USB drive with /home? - Debian ; I wish to automate the process of continually copying the contents of my USB drive (/media/sda1) to my /home directory. Scripting should be able to accomplish this. Does a KDE program or applet exist to help me in my search? ...

  1. How can I sync. my USB drive with /home?

    I wish to automate the process of continually copying the contents of my USB
    drive (/media/sda1) to my /home directory.

    Scripting should be able to accomplish this. Does a KDE program or applet
    exist to help me in my search?

    Thanks, Bob
    --
    Never reveal your best argument.

  2. Re: How can I sync. my USB drive with /home?

    On Friday 07 October 2005 19:25, Robert Tilley wrote:
    > I wish to automate the process of continually copying the contents of my
    > USB drive (/media/sda1) to my /home directory.
    >
    > Scripting should be able to accomplish this. Does a KDE program or applet
    > exist to help me in my search?
    >
    > Thanks, Bob
    > --
    > Never reveal your best argument.

    It's not a kde applet, but rsync is excellent for this kind of thing.

    David

    --
    -------------------------------
    Your manuscript is both good and original, but

  3. Re: How can I sync. my USB drive with /home?

  4. Re: How can I sync. my USB drive with /home?

    David Pye wrote:

    > On Friday 07 October 2005 19:25, Robert Tilley vewrote:
    >> I wish to automate the process of continually copying the contents of my
    >> USB drive (/media/sda1) to my /home directory.
    >>
    >> Scripting should be able to accomplish this. Does a KDE program or
    >> applet exist to help me in my search?

    > It's not a kde applet, but rsync is excellent for this kind of thing.

    Even better, Unison. It uses rsync to do the actual copying, and includes
    all the necessary scripting.
    --
    derek

  5. Re: How can I sync. my USB drive with /home?

    Derek Broughton schrieb:
    > David Pye wrote:

    >>It's not a kde applet, but rsync is excellent for this kind of thing.

    > Even better, Unison. It uses rsync to do the actual copying, and includes
    > all the necessary scripting.

    I've used both and find them quite different. The graphical Unison is
    easy to use and works in both directions, i.e. if you have new files on
    both drives it it easy to end up with all new files on both drives. If
    you're not careful it is also easy to delete files you really wanted to
    keep. Unison is slow, so if you have thousands of files to synchronize,
    you will be in for a long wait.

    Rsync works in only one direction (at a time) and is thus ideal if you
    want to backup or duplicate the contents of one drive onto the other. It
    is at first rather difficult to set up properly, but once done, the
    command line program works superbly. It is much faster than Unison.

    Now what I really want is a KDE-type tool with the power of rsync.
    Anybody know of something in the works?

    Theo Schmidt