Search for a couple of utilities - Debian

This is a discussion on Search for a couple of utilities - Debian ; 1) Is there some "overlay clock" that can display minutes:seconds over whatever other image is on my desktop ? I would use it while giving a presentation to ensure I do not run out of my allocated time. 2) Is ...

  1. Search for a couple of utilities

    1) Is there some "overlay clock" that can display minutes:seconds over
    whatever other image is on my desktop ? I would use it while giving a
    presentation to ensure I do not run out of my allocated time.

    2) Is there some simple way of displaying some nice "message box" on KDE
    ? I would use it to show a message saying "External video
    enabled/disabled" while pressing Fn+F7 on my Thinkpad.

    TIA,
    Bob

  2. Re: Search for a couple of utilities

    On Thursday, 6 October 2005 19:49, Bob Alexander wrote:
    > 2) Is there some simple way of displaying some nice "message box" on KDE
    > ? I would use it to show a message saying "External video
    > enabled/disabled" while pressing Fn+F7 on my Thinkpad.

    May be:
    isaac@lupin:~$ dcop knotify Notify notify "video" "Video status" "External
    video enabled" "" "" 16 0

    It displays a little notification that dissapears by itself, if you want
    something that you need to click on to get rid of it you may use:
    isaac@lupin:~$ kdialog --msgbox "External video status"

    --
    Isaac Clerencia at Warp Networks, http://www.warp.es
    Work: | Debian:

  3. Re: Search for a couple of utilities

    On Thursday 06 October 2005 12:49 pm, Bob Alexander wrote:
    > 1) Is there some "overlay clock" that can display minutes:seconds over
    > whatever other image is on my desktop ? I would use it while giving a
    > presentation to ensure I do not run out of my allocated time.
    >
    > 2) Is there some simple way of displaying some nice "message box" on KDE
    > ? I would use it to show a message saying "External video
    > enabled/disabled" while pressing Fn+F7 on my Thinkpad.

    i don't know of a KDE specific one. but zenity (command line gtk stuff) works
    quite nicely.

    try:

    zenity --info --text=test

    anoop.

    > TIA,
    > Bob

  4. Re: Search for a couple of utilities

    Isaac Clerencia wrote:
    > isaac@lupin:~$ dcop knotify Notify notify "video" "Video status"
    > "External video enabled" "" "" 16 0
    >
    > It displays a little notification that dissapears by itself, if you

    Geht auch mit
    kdialog --passivepopup "Video status" $TIMEOUT

    Ulrich

  5. Re: Search for a couple of utilities

    On Thursday 06 October 2005 01:49 pm, Bob Alexander wrote:
    > 1) Is there some "overlay clock" that can display minutes:seconds over
    > whatever other image is on my desktop ? I would use it while giving a
    > presentation to ensure I do not run out of my allocated time.
    >
    > 2) Is there some simple way of displaying some nice "message box" on KDE
    > ? I would use it to show a message saying "External video
    > enabled/disabled" while pressing Fn+F7 on my Thinkpad.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Bob

    I can't think of any off of the top of my head, but they are also the kind of
    tiny little applet that you can write in just a few minutes. If you can't
    find 'em, code 'em.

    Sean

  6. Re: Search for a couple of utilities

    "Ulrich Fürst" wrote:
    > Isaac Clerencia wrote:
    > > isaac@lupin:~$ dcop knotify Notify notify "video" "Video status"
    > > "External video enabled" "" "" 16 0
    > >
    > > It displays a little notification that dissapears by itself, if you
    > >

    > Geht auch mit
    > kdialog --passivepopup "Video status" $TIMEOUT

    Sorry, for this posting!
    I meant that:
    kdialog --passivepopup "Video status" $TIMEOUT
    does the same as the call of dcop posted by Isaac Clerencia.

    Ulrich

    (I guess I should write a brainfilter to seperate languages...)

  7. Re: Search for a couple of utilities

    Ulrich Fürst wrote:
    > kdialog --passivepopup "Video status" $TIMEOUT

    Ulrich and Isaac thank you very much.

    Just what I needed without any additional software.

    Good night.
    Bob

  8. Re: Search for a couple of utilities

    Isaac Clerencia wrote:

    > dcop knotify Notify notify "video" "Video status" "External
    > video enabled" "" "" 16 0

    ooh! That's way cool... thanks
    --
    derek

  9. Re: Search for a couple of utilities

    On Thursday 06 October 2005 19:49, Bob Alexander wrote:
    > 1) Is there some "overlay clock" that can display minutes:seconds over
    > whatever other image is on my desktop ? I would use it while giving a
    > presentation to ensure I do not run out of my allocated time.

    What about superkaramba and any clock-theme found on www.kde-loop.org?

    HTH,

    Christian

  10. Re: Search for a couple of utilities

    > What about superkaramba and any clock-theme found on www.kde-loop.org?
    >
    > HTH,

    Thank you. www.kde-loop.org seems to be dead ?

    Bob

  11. Re: Search for a couple of utilities

    Should have been www.kde-look.org

    Tim

    Am Freitag, 7. Oktober 2005 11:27 schrieb Bob Alexander:
    > > What about superkaramba and any clock-theme found on www.kde-loop.org?
    > >
    > > HTH,

    > Thank you. www.kde-loop.org seems to be dead ?
    >
    > Bob
    >

    > --

    listmaster@lists.debian.org

  12. Re: Search for a couple of utilities

    Tim Ruehsen wrote:
    > Should have been www.kde-look.org

    Thanks Tim.

    Still cannot find a timer which overlays any other application (to run
    on top of the full screen openoffice presentation).

    Bob

  13. Re: Search for a couple of utilities

    The fact of running on top of all other applications is just a
    configuration of the X-Window window the application is running in.
    Just click on the window configuration button in your
    clock-application, look for "Advanced" and choose "Keep above others"
    from the menu. The window will stay on top. But I don't know if
    openoffice overrules that, but you might try.

    Best,

    Rigo

    Am Friday 07 October 2005 12:21 verlautbarte Bob Alexander :
    > Still cannot find a timer which overlays any other application (to
    > run on top of the full screen openoffice presentation).

  14. Re: Search for a couple of utilities

    Bob Alexander wrote:
    > Still cannot find a timer which overlays any other application (to run
    > on top of the full screen openoffice presentation).

    COrrect me if I am wrong (and I am not OOo regular user, so I am may be very
    well mistaken), but was not timing part of the Impress itself?

    Matej

    America is the only country that has gone from barbarism to
    decadence without civilization in between.
    -- Oscar Wilde