k3b and cdrecord problem - Debian

This is a discussion on k3b and cdrecord problem - Debian ; Hello, I cannot burn cds with k3b anymore. If I try to burn a cd I get the following error message from k3b: System ----------------------- K3b Version: 0.12 KDE Version: 3.4.2 QT Version: 3.3.5 Kernel: 2.6.12 Devices ----------------------- PLEXTOR CD-R ...

  1. k3b and cdrecord problem

    Hello,

    I cannot burn cds with k3b anymore. If I try to burn a cd I get the following
    error message from k3b:

    System
    -----------------------
    K3b Version: 0.12

    KDE Version: 3.4.2
    QT Version: 3.3.5
    Kernel: 2.6.12
    Devices
    -----------------------
    PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W5224A 1.02 (/dev/hdd, ) at /cdburner [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM]
    [CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R96P; SAO/R96R; RAW/R16; RAW/R96P;
    RAW/R96R]

    TOSHIBA ODD-DVD SD-M1802 1030 (/dev/hdc, ) at /cdrom [CD-ROM; DVD-ROM]
    [DVD-ROM; CD-ROM] [None]
    K3b
    -----------------------
    Size of filesystem calculated: 359000

    Used versions
    -----------------------
    mkisofs: 2.1.1a03-unofficial-iconv
    cdrecord: 2.1.1a03

    cdrecord
    -----------------------
    /usr/bin/cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.12
    /usr/bin/cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
    /usr/bin/cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or
    Solaris.
    /usr/bin/cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
    /usr/bin/cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using
    setpriority().
    /usr/bin/cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
    scsidev: '/dev/hdd'
    devname: '/dev/hdd'
    scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
    Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
    Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
    Error: Cannot gain SYS_RAWIO capability.Is cdrecord installed SUID root?
    : Operation not permitted
    /usr/bin/cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial version of libscg
    (ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1 '@(#)scsitransp.c 1.91 04/06/17 Copyright
    1988,1995,2000-2004 J. Schilling').
    SCSI buffer size: 64512
    Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a03 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2005 Joerg
    Schilling
    NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
    and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
    Please send bug reports and support requests to
    .
    The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
    version.
    TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
    Using libscg version 'ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1'.
    Driveropts: 'burnfree'
    atapi: 1
    Device type : Removable CD-ROM
    Version : 0
    Response Format: 1
    Vendor_info : 'PLEXTOR '
    Identifikation : 'CD-R PX-W5224A'
    Revision : '1.02'
    Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
    Current: 0x0009
    Profile: 0x0008
    Profile: 0x0009 (current)
    Profile: 0x000A
    /usr/bin/cdrecord: Operation not permitted. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl

    I changed the group of cdrecord to cdrom

    ls -l /usr/bin/cdrecord*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root cdrom 133 2005-09-21 03:17 /usr/bin/cdrecord
    -rwxr-x--- 1 root cdrom 323540 2005-09-21 03:17 /usr/bin/cdrecord.mmap
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root cdrom 323540 2005-09-21 03:17 /usr/bin/cdrecord.shm

    and I am a member of the cdrom group:

    groups
    michi cdrom audio staff scanner

    I also changed the group of /dev/hdd to cdrom:
    ls -l /dev/hdd
    brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 22, 64 2004-01-01 01:31 /dev/hdd

    I also cannot burn cd-images with cdrecord itself. The error message is the
    same. But I can burn cds as root. I used to have installed cdrecord as suid
    root and then it worked also for normal users, but it seems this does not
    work anymore with kernels >=2.6.8. What do I have to do to burn cds as normal
    user with k3b/cdrecord?

    Greetings,
    Michael

  2. Re: k3b and cdrecord problem

    Hello,

    > I also cannot burn cd-images with cdrecord itself. The error message is the
    > same. But I can burn cds as root. I used to have installed cdrecord as suid
    > root and then it worked also for normal users, but it seems this does not
    > work anymore with kernels >=2.6.8. What do I have to do to burn cds as
    > normal user with k3b/cdrecord?

    I installed cdrecord without suid root because k3b complained about it and
    told me that it wont work with kernels newer then 2.6.8. I just tried to set
    cdrecord suid root again and it started working again... o.k., problem
    solved.

    Greetings,
    Michael

  3. Re: k3b and cdrecord problem

    Michael Thaler wrote:

    >> I also cannot burn cd-images with cdrecord itself. The error message is
    >> the same. But I can burn cds as root. I used to have installed cdrecord
    >> as suid root and then it worked also for normal users, but it seems this
    >> does not work anymore with kernels >=2.6.8. What do I have to do to burn
    >> cds as normal user with k3b/cdrecord?

    > I installed cdrecord without suid root because k3b complained about it and
    > told me that it wont work with kernels newer then 2.6.8. I just tried to
    > set cdrecord suid root again and it started working again... o.k., problem
    > solved.

    Somebody posted a couple of days ago that this is changed _back_ to the old
    behavior on recent kernels. All the bouncing is making me dizzy :-(
    --
    derek

  4. Re: k3b and cdrecord problem

    It's truth.

    Suid doesn't work anymore.

    How the best path to fix this?

    --
    Fabio Serpa

  5. Re: k3b and cdrecord problem

    On Wednesday 05 October 2005 21:56, Fabio Serpa wrote:
    > It's truth.
    >

    > Suid doesn't work anymore.
    >
    > How the best path to fix this?

    k3b tells you that it doesn't work anymore and that you should use k3bconfig
    to remove the suid bit. But that is actually not true. For me it did not work
    without the suid bit set, but it works with suid bit set (just do
    dpkg-reconfigure cdrecord and chose yes). I am using kernel 2.6.12 from
    Debian. With kernels 2.6.8 and 2.6.9 it seems you really have to be root to
    burn cds. You could do the following: install sudo and use visudo to
    edit /etc/sudoers and add:

    username ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/cdrecord,/usr/bin/cdrdao

    then add in .bashrc

    alias cdrecord='sudo cdrecord'
    alias cdrdao='sudo cdrdao'

    Now all users can burn cds. What actually happens is, that cdrecord and cdrdao
    will allways be run as root.

    Greetings,
    Michael

  6. Re: k3b and cdrecord problem

    Ok, Thanks!

    --
    Fabio Serpa

  7. Re: k3b and cdrecord problem

    Michael Thaler wrote:

    > On Wednesday 05 October 2005 21:56, Fabio Serpa wrote:
    >> It's truth.
    >>
    >> Suid doesn't work anymore.
    >>
    >> How the best path to fix this?

    > k3b tells you that it doesn't work anymore and that you should use
    > k3bconfig to remove the suid bit. But that is actually not true.

    Yeah, it is... I'm not sure why it's working for you, but after 2.6.8 I
    _had_ to remove the suid bit.

    The simple answer to Fabio would be either (a) do nothing - it might still
    work (he's already _got_ suid set) or (b) "dpkg-reconfigure cdrecord" to
    turn _off_ suid.
    --
    derek