Question on konsole - Debian

This is a discussion on Question on konsole - Debian ; Dear friends, when using programs like make menuconfig compiling Linux kernel or kismet in a konsole I see weird characters instead of the simple line drawing a box. Outside KDE (3.3 in debian etch) in a console everything is aok. ...

  1. Question on konsole

    Dear friends,
    when using programs like make menuconfig compiling Linux kernel or
    kismet in a konsole I see weird characters instead of the simple line
    drawing a box.

    Outside KDE (3.3 in debian etch) in a console everything is aok.

    What can I try to fix this ?

    Thank you very much,
    Bob

  2. Re: Question on konsole

    On 22:03 Tue 04 Oct 2005, Bob Alexander wrote:
    > Dear friends,
    > when using programs like make menuconfig compiling Linux kernel or
    > kismet in a konsole I see weird characters instead of the simple line
    > drawing a box.
    >
    > Outside KDE (3.3 in debian etch) in a console everything is aok.
    >
    > What can I try to fix this ?

    I think it is due to your locale, is it Italian?
    The temporary solution is change the locale into English and see if the
    problem persists.

    regards

    bxuef

    --
    dhammapada says:

    He who utters only gentle, instructive and truthful speech, criticising
    no-one - that is what I call a brahmin. 408

  3. Re: Question on konsole

    phyrster wrote:
    > On 22:03 Tue 04 Oct 2005, Bob Alexander wrote:
    >
    >>Dear friends,
    >>when using programs like make menuconfig compiling Linux kernel or
    >>kismet in a konsole I see weird characters instead of the simple line
    >>drawing a box.
    >>
    >>Outside KDE (3.3 in debian etch) in a console everything is aok.
    >>
    >>What can I try to fix this ?

    > I think it is due to your locale, is it Italian?
    > The temporary solution is change the locale into English and see if the
    > problem persists.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > bxuef

    Dear friend thank you for trying to help.

    In KDE (Control Center, Regional Settings, Country/Language) I have
    Italian as the locale and US English as the language.

    I my konsoles

    bob@t40:~$ env |grep LANG
    LANG=en_US
    LANGUAGE=en_IT:en_US:en_GB:en

    I tried changing the locale in KDE, logging out and relogging, to both
    US and C but nothing changed.

    I altro tried assigning other values to the LANG and LANGUAGE
    environment vars but nothing changed.

    Any other ideas ?

    Thank you,
    Bob

  4. Re: Question on konsole

    Bob Alexander wrote:
    > I altro tried assigning other values to the LANG and LANGUAGE
    > environment vars but nothing changed.

    Correct setting of locale in Debian is with command (as a root and best is
    without KDE running)

    dpkg-reconfigure locales

    I would suggest using locale it_IT.UTF-8 (if you need mc, then you can find
    a Debian/etch package of mc somehow working with UTF-8 on
    ; get also slang* package, which
    is needed; but I have actually removed mc and use only krusader -- package
    is also available in the same place for KDE 3.4.1).
    And of course, try to set another font with sufficiently wide coverage of
    characters (Andale Mono or Courier New from M$, DejaVu from the package
    ttf-dejavu both worked for me).

    Good luck!

    Matej

    He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.
    -- Oscar Wilde

  5. Re: Question on konsole

    Alle 05:34, mercoledì 5 ottobre 2005, Bob Alexander ha scritto:

    > I tried changing the locale in KDE, logging out and relogging, to both
    > US and C but nothing changed.
    >
    > I altro tried assigning other values to the LANG and LANGUAGE
    > environment vars but nothing changed.
    >
    > Any other ideas ?

    I find this strange behaviour in two different system from friends of mine,
    debian-sid and breezy prerelease (both at kde 3.4.2 time) and also I could
    not change the locale via gui, I remember I had fixed both systems editing a
    file in .kde... do not remember which one but I remember also I found it with
    a simple grep -R -i locale ~/.kde/, changed the wrong locale and restarted
    kde. I do not know why via gui (kcontrol) I was not able to fix this.

    I hope it helps.

    --
    ESC:wq

  6. Re: Question on konsole

    Marco Amadori wrote:
    > Alle 05:34, mercoledì 5 ottobre 2005, Bob Alexander ha scritto:
    >

    >>I tried changing the locale in KDE, logging out and relogging, to both
    >>US and C but nothing changed.
    >>
    >>I altro tried assigning other values to the LANG and LANGUAGE
    >>environment vars but nothing changed.
    >>
    >>Any other ideas ?

    > I find this strange behaviour in two different system from friends of mine,
    > debian-sid and breezy prerelease (both at kde 3.4.2 time) and also I could
    > not change the locale via gui, I remember I had fixed both systems editing a
    > file in .kde... do not remember which one but I remember also I found it with
    > a simple grep -R -i locale ~/.kde/, changed the wrong locale and restarted
    > kde. I do not know why via gui (kcontrol) I was not able to fix this.
    >
    > I hope it helps.

    Marco hello,
    with your grep trick I have found ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals which
    contains the following stanza:

    [Locale]
    Country=it
    DateFormat=%A %e %B %Y
    Language=en_US

    which seems to reflect perfectly what is shown in kcontrol.

    Do you have other ideas ?

    Grazie mille,
    Bob (Roma)

  7. Re: Question on konsole

    ..
    > Alle 05:34, mercoledì 5 ottobre 2005, Bob Alexander ha scritto:
    >

    >>I tried changing the locale in KDE, logging out and relogging, to both
    >>US and C but nothing changed.
    >>
    >>I altro tried assigning other values to the LANG and LANGUAGE
    >>environment vars but nothing changed.
    >>
    >>Any other ideas ?

    > I find this strange behaviour in two different system from friends of
    > mine, debian-sid and breezy prerelease (both at kde 3.4.2 time) and also I
    > could not change the locale via gui, I remember I had fixed both systems
    > editing a file in .kde... do not remember which one but I remember also I
    > found it with a simple grep -R -i locale ~/.kde/, changed the wrong locale
    > and restarted kde. I do not know why via gui (kcontrol) I was not able to
    > fix this.
    >
    > I hope it helps.

    Marco hello,
    with your grep trick I have found ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals which
    contains the following stanza:

    [Locale]
    Country=it
    DateFormat=%A %e %B %Y
    Language=en_US

    which seems to reflect perfectly what is shown in kcontrol.

    Do you have other ideas ?

    Grazie mille,
    Bob (Roma)

  8. Re: Question on konsole

    Matej Cepl wrote:
    > http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/inde...quette#offlist
    > Please reply to the list.

    Sorry Matej.

    > Questions about correct setting of fontconfig could be cleared
    > easily. What will you get when running the following (as normal
    > user in konsole)?
    >
    > fc-list | grep -i deja.*mono

    bob@t40:~$ fc-list | grep -i deja.*mono
    DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Oblique
    DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Roman
    DejaVu Sans Mono:style=BoldOb
    DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Bold

    Thanks. Bob.

  9. Re: Question on konsole

    On Tuesday 04 October 2005 22:03, Bob Alexander wrote:
    > Dear friends,
    > when using programs like make menuconfig compiling Linux kernel or
    > kismet in a konsole I see weird characters instead of the simple line
    > drawing a box.
    >
    > Outside KDE (3.3 in debian etch) in a console everything is aok.
    >
    > What can I try to fix this ?

    Do you use the right encoding in konsole (Settings/Encoding)?

  10. Re: Question on konsole

    André Wöbbeking wrote:
    > On Tuesday 04 October 2005 22:03, Bob Alexander wrote:
    >
    >>Dear friends,
    >>when using programs like make menuconfig compiling Linux kernel or
    >>kismet in a konsole I see weird characters instead of the simple line
    >>drawing a box.
    >>
    >>Outside KDE (3.3 in debian etch) in a console everything is aok.
    >>
    >>What can I try to fix this ?

    > Do you use the right encoding in konsole (Settings/Encoding)?

    Andre',
    VERY interesting !

    I cannot find a Settings/Encoding menu entry.

    I have Settings and under it bell, font, keyboard, schema, size and history

    What else ?

    Thank you.
    Bob

  11. Re: Question on konsole

    On Wednesday 05 October 2005 19:30, Bob Alexander wrote:
    > André Wöbbeking wrote:

    > > Do you use the right encoding in konsole (Settings/Encoding)?

    > Andre',
    > VERY interesting !
    >
    > I cannot find a Settings/Encoding menu entry.
    >
    > I have Settings and under it bell, font, keyboard, schema, size and
    > history

    Sorry, must be new in KDE 3.4 then :-(

  12. Re: Question on konsole

    André Wöbbeking wrote:
    > Sorry, must be new in KDE 3.4 then :-(

    Well Andre',
    dunno what worked but something did. Choosing Font->Console is ugly but
    all chars are displayed correctly

    Now if I only could upgrade from my etch 3.3 to 3.4 I woul dbe very
    happy but would need some help to do this without breaking my perfect
    system !

    Thank you,
    Bob

  13. Re: Question on konsole

    Bob Alexander wrote:
    > Sorry Matej.

    That's OK, everybody did it (at least once).

    > bob@t40:~$ fc-list | grep -i deja.*mono
    > DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Oblique
    > DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Roman
    > DejaVu Sans Mono:style=BoldOb
    > DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Bold

    Now we can conclusively say, that you have your fonts correctly installed
    and KDE can recognize them. So, the next step is to find what's wrong with
    konsole. And I have no idea ... :-)

    Matej

    The function of the expert is not to be more right than other
    people, but to be wrong for more sophisticated reasons.
    -- Dr. David Butler, British psephologist

  14. Re: Question on konsole

    Don't do it!

    I just dist-upgraded my deb-sid from xfree4 KDE 3.4.(alioth) to the new
    x.org KDE 3.4.2 in normal sid and now the UTF-8 support in Konsole is
    broken. Even when choosing unicode-font nothing is displayed correctly.

    If using irssi in konsole (which worked beforehand), no special
    characters are displayed. I changed to all sorts of fonts, set the
    encoding manually, did a dpkg-reconfigure locales did a
    dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig to no avail.

    One indication might be that it does not find the console-font anymore.
    It said something like -misc-blabla iso10646

    if started in xterm, it did the same kind of wrong encoding. So I'm
    further enquiring..

    Best,

    Rigo

    Am Wednesday 05 October 2005 20:11 verlautbarte Bob Alexander :
    > Now if I only could upgrade from my etch 3.3 to 3.4 I woul dbe very
    > happy but would need some help to do this without breaking my perfect
    > system !
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Bob

  15. Re: Question on konsole

    I found the problem after a lot of debugging. Actually I had a
    perl-script in irssi recoding stuff to utf-8. So it was recoding utf-8
    to utf-8 messing up the encoding.

    So no relation with konsole but it seemed to have been an upgrade issue
    as it worked beforehand even with the recoding script enabled. Anyway,
    it's solved.

    Best,

    Rigo

    Am Thursday 06 October 2005 11:37 verlautbarte Rigo Wenning :
    > Don't do it!
    >
    > I just dist-upgraded my deb-sid from xfree4 KDE 3.4.(alioth) to the
    > new x.org KDE 3.4.2 in normal sid and now the UTF-8 support in
    > Konsole is broken. Even when choosing unicode-font nothing is
    > displayed correctly.

+ Reply to Thread