The debian directory in kde sources - Debian

This is a discussion on The debian directory in kde sources - Debian ; Hello, The kde source files (at least 3.5beta1) contain a debian directory. Has anyone tried building packages using that data? Does this work? -- Yours, Mikhail Ramendik -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact ...

  1. The debian directory in kde sources

    --
    Yours, Mikhail Ramendik

  2. Re: [Kalyxo-devel] The debian directory in kde sources

    Am Dienstag, 4. Oktober 2005 17.16 schrieb Mikhail Ramendik:
    > Hello,

    Morning

    > The kde source files (at least 3.5beta1) contain a debian directory.
    >
    > Has anyone tried building packages using that data? Does this work?

    I didn't try it but AFAIK this directory is completely out of date.

    griits
    Mario

  3. Trying bleeding edge KDE; was: The debian directory in kde sources

    Gary Cramblitt wrote:

    > Yes, those are old and out of date. It seems to be they should either be
    > removed, or back-filled from alioth.

    Found nothing on alioth for kde...

    So what do I do it I want to try out the bleeding edge of KDE, if I have
    sarge? I see five options:

    - Get the .diff.gz's for the 3.4.2 backport and try adapting those to 3.5beta1
    or SVN
    - Get the .diff.gz's for 3.3.x from sarge and try adapting those to 3.5beta1
    or SVN
    - Get 3.5beta1 or SVN, and try compiling with the old debian dirs
    - Get the kubuntu packages that are available for 3,5beta1 and try backporting
    those
    - build in a non-packaged way, by Konstruct or kdesvn-build; use /opt so this
    can all be removed later (but how do I handle apps that have dependencies on
    KDE? and how do I make kdm start up xfree86 without the kdm package?)

    Which option is safer/better/etc?

    --
    Yours, Mikhail Ramendik

  4. Re: Trying bleeding edge KDE; was: The debian directory in kde sources

    I can tell you my method.

    I download and update every week or so from svn (used to be cvs),
    compile and install on my home in debian or on an alternative
    directory according to gentoo methods.

    After installing arts, kdelibs,kdebase (a couple of hours) I login and
    everthing is fine. The whole set of packages takes about other 4
    hours. I made some simple scripts to made everything user friendly
    (aka automatic).

    In my experience beta versions are waste of time, i just update with
    "svn up" and recompile when I want the latest changes.

    Pretty much a developer task, but I don't develop anything in KDE :-)

    I have had some problems, but I dont even remember the last.

    Max

    --
    Linux garaged 2.6.9-rc1-mm1 #3 SMP Mon Aug 30 12:14:50 CDT 2004 i686
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

+ Reply to Thread