Koffice progress on C++ ABI transition AGAIN - Debian

This is a discussion on Koffice progress on C++ ABI transition AGAIN - Debian ; It was a week ago that I asked about the progress of Koffice through the C++ ABI transition. Despite a couple of replies about potentially other sources of the packages, and a "grave" bug report about it being filed, no-one ...

  1. Koffice progress on C++ ABI transition AGAIN

    It was a week ago that I asked about the progress of Koffice through the C++
    ABI transition. Despite a couple of replies about potentially other sources
    of the packages, and a "grave" bug report about it being filed, no-one seems
    to know whats happened to the official packages.

    A similar mail to the development list just went un-answered.

    Is there anyone out there that knows what is happening - and how much longer
    it will take to finish

    --
    Alan Chandler
    http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

  2. Re: Koffice progress on C++ ABI transition AGAIN

    On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 09:45 +1000, Alan Chandler wrote:
    > It was a week ago that I asked about the progress of Koffice through the C++
    > ABI transition. Despite a couple of replies about potentially other sources
    > of the packages, and a "grave" bug report about it being filed, no-one seems
    > to know whats happened to the official packages.
    >
    > A similar mail to the development list just went un-answered.
    >
    > Is there anyone out there that knows what is happening - and how much longer
    > it will take to finish

    I'm pretty sure that the answer will be "when it's ready". Sometimes,
    Debian does really move at the pace of a dead snail nailed to the
    floor.

    Dave

    --
    "You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people
    all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."

    Abraham Lincoln

  3. Re: Koffice progress on C++ ABI transition AGAIN

    On Monday 03 October 2005 02:20, David Pastern wrote:
    > On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 09:45 +1000, Alan Chandler wrote:
    > > It was a week ago that I asked about the progress of Koffice through the
    > > C++ ABI transition. Despite a couple of replies about potentially other
    > > sources of the packages, and a "grave" bug report about it being filed,
    > > no-one seems to know whats happened to the official packages.
    > >
    > > A similar mail to the development list just went un-answered.
    > >
    > > Is there anyone out there that knows what is happening - and how much
    > > longer it will take to finish

    > I'm pretty sure that the answer will be "when it's ready". Sometimes,
    > Debian does really move at the pace of a dead snail nailed to the
    > floor.

    Ben Burton, the maintainer of the KOffice package is, according to

    apt-cache pkgnames | xargs apt-cache show | grep "Maintainer: Ben Burton" |
    wc -l

    maintainer of 143 packages (and that's just unstable).

    I think everyone who upgraded unstable while the ABI transition wasn't
    completed yet, knew that some packages would come in later.

    One of the packagers, I think Adeodato Simó, posted that they will announce
    the transitions completion for those who want to stay on the save side.

    Cheers,
    Kevin

  4. Re: Koffice progress on C++ ABI transition AGAIN

    I rebuilt the debian packages for x86. They are available at

    deb http://lpnotfr.free.fr/debian ./

    The (very small) patch needed to make it build under gcc4 is there as well
    http://lpnotfr.free.fr/debian/kde-gc...fice-gcc4.diff

    I don't know if it is good practice, but I bumped the debian revision from
    -4 to -5 to make the upgrade automatic

    Regards
    Sylvain

  5. Re: Koffice progress on C++ ABI transition AGAIN

    On Tuesday 04 October 2005 11:57, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
    > I rebuilt the debian packages for x86. They are available at
    >
    > deb http://lpnotfr.free.fr/debian ./
    >
    > The (very small) patch needed to make it build under gcc4 is there as well
    > http://lpnotfr.free.fr/debian/kde-gc...fice-gcc4.diff
    >
    > I don't know if it is good practice, but I bumped the debian revision from
    > -4 to -5 to make the upgrade automatic

    It's better to add a subnumber, like -4.1 (like an NMU does), so when the
    packages are available from debian they get upgraded automatically.

    Jan

    --
    I don't want people to love me. It makes for obligations.
    -- Jean Anouilh

  6. Re: Koffice progress on C++ ABI transition AGAIN

    On Tuesday 04 October 2005 10:57, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
    > I rebuilt the debian packages for x86. They are available at
    >
    > deb http://lpnotfr.free.fr/debian ./
    >
    > The (very small) patch needed to make it build under gcc4 is there as well
    > http://lpnotfr.free.fr/debian/kde-gc...fice-gcc4.diff
    >
    > I don't know if it is good practice, but I bumped the debian revision from
    > -4 to -5 to make the upgrade automatic
    >
    > Regards
    > Sylvain

    Wonderful news. I realise it may be more complicated as it will be a new
    version of the underlying source rather than just a rebuild of the existing
    source, but any chance of kdebindings-java?

    David

  7. Re: Koffice progress on C++ ABI transition AGAIN

    * Alan Chandler [Mon, 03 Oct 2005 00:45:11 +0100]:

    > It was a week ago that I asked about the progress of Koffice through the C++
    > ABI transition. Despite a couple of replies about potentially other sources
    > of the packages, and a "grave" bug report about it being filed, no-one seems
    > to know whats happened to the official packages.

    > A similar mail to the development list just went un-answered.

    > Is there anyone out there that knows what is happening - and how much longer
    > it will take to finish

    #327977 contains interesting information now.

    --
    Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

    The first step on the road to wisdom is the admission of ignorance. The
    second step is realizing that you don't have to blab it to the world.

  8. Re: Koffice progress on C++ ABI transition AGAIN

    Thanks !

    But the 1.3.5 version is so old. Why not simply build the 1.4.1
    version ? I have built it myself with gcc 4.0.2 without any problems.

    Best regards,

    Serge

    On Tuesday 04 October 2005 11:57, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
    > I rebuilt the debian packages for x86. They are available at
    >
    > deb http://lpnotfr.free.fr/debian ./
    >
    > The (very small) patch needed to make it build under gcc4 is there as

    well
    > http://lpnotfr.free.fr/debian/kde-gc...fice-gcc4.diff
    >
    > I don't know if it is good practice, but I bumped the debian revision

    from
    > -4 to -5 to make the upgrade automatic
    >
    > Regards
    > Sylvain

  9. Re: Koffice progress on C++ ABI transition AGAIN

    > Thanks !
    >
    > But the 1.3.5 version is so old. Why not simply build the 1.4.1
    > version ? I have built it myself with gcc 4.0.2 without any problems.

    Because I don't have time to do the packaging work I'm no Debian
    developer.

    Sylvain

  10. KOffice update

    Hi all,

    > #327977 contains interesting information now.

    Luk Claes is doing an NMU this week that will at least make the old
    koffice 1.3.x installable.

    As for KOffice 1.4.x, I'm afraid the last month has been an order of
    magnitude crazier than expected, and each block of time that I had set
    aside kept getting swept aside by some new urgency.

    Given this, the obvious thing to do is to pass koffice on to the
    debian-qt-kde group, which has a much better buffer against periods like
    this when an individual person is out of action. I will be in touch
    with them on irc shortly, but please do regard this as a formal intent
    to pass koffice onto debian-qt-kde if they're willing to take it.

    So my apologies for the delay on this, and if anyone gets their hands on
    that magic dust that removes that inconvenient need to sleep, you have
    my email address.

    Ben.