KMail hangs on Send - Debian

This is a discussion on KMail hangs on Send - Debian ; Ack! Whenever I try to send a message in KMail (3.4.2-2, Sid) the whole program freezes, both the composer window and the main window. This happens both for the "Send Now" and "Send Later" actions, but it doesn't happen for ...

  1. KMail hangs on Send

    Ack! Whenever I try to send a message in KMail (3.4.2-2, Sid) the whole program freezes, both the composer window
    and the main window. This happens both for the "Send Now" and "Send Later" actions, but it doesn't happen for the
    "Save to Drafts" action.

    I've tried nuking .kde/share/apps/kmail and .kde/share/config/kmailrc and kmail.eventsrc, neither of which fixed the
    problem. I've tried removing the proxy from the control panel settings with no luck. I've tried changing some things in
    the STMP server config section in KMail (using detected settings). Nothing works!

    Any chance something in my Mail dir is fried? What should I look for? Any other ideas?

    Thanks,
    Brendon

  2. Re: KMail hangs on Send

    El Lunes, 3 de Octubre de 2005 01:51, Brendon Lloyd Higgins escribió:
    > Ack! Whenever I try to send a message in KMail (3.4.2-2, Sid) the whole
    > program freezes, both the composer window and the main window. This happens
    > both for the "Send Now" and "Send Later" actions, but it doesn't happen for
    > the "Save to Drafts" action.
    >
    > I've tried nuking .kde/share/apps/kmail and .kde/share/config/kmailrc and
    > kmail.eventsrc, neither of which fixed the problem. I've tried removing the
    > proxy from the control panel settings with no luck. I've tried changing
    > some things in the STMP server config section in KMail (using detected
    > settings). Nothing works!
    >
    > Any chance something in my Mail dir is fried? What should I look for? Any
    > other ideas?

    What about a strace on KMail PID and/or tcpdump in order to see the traffic?

    Best regards,

    Ender.
    --
    Non. Je suis la belette de personne.
    -- Amélie (Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain).

  3. Re: KMail hangs on Send

    Monday, 3 October 2005 07:51 Brendon Lloyd Higgins wrote:
    > Ack! Whenever I try to send a message in KMail (3.4.2-2, Sid) the
    > whole program freezes, both the composer window and the main window.
    > This happens both for the "Send Now" and "Send Later" actions, but it
    > doesn't happen for the "Save to Drafts" action.

    Just a few thoughts:

    - Are you using GPG signing of messages?
    - Do you get any errors in ~/.xsession-errors or when running from the
    command line?
    - Does debsums return any errors?
    - Are you running KMail standalone or Kontact? Natively in KDE or in
    some other environment?
    - Does it work as another user?

    --
    Alex Nordstrom
    http://lx.n3.net/

  4. Re: KMail hangs on Send

    Quoting Alex Nordstrom :
    > Monday, 3 October 2005 07:51 Brendon Lloyd Higgins wrote:
    > > Ack! Whenever I try to send a message in KMail (3.4.2-2, Sid) the
    > > whole program freezes, both the composer window and the main window.
    > > This happens both for the "Send Now" and "Send Later" actions, but it
    > > doesn't happen for the "Save to Drafts" action.

    > Just a few thoughts:
    >
    > - Are you using GPG signing of messages?

    My problem occurs regardless of whether or not I sign the message. If I try to send it signed, the program freezes,
    and I have to kill it forcefully (hit the close button, after a short wait KWin says the window is not responding and asks
    if I want to kill it). The GUI is blocked and won't redraw, BTW. If I try to send it unsigned it does the same. If I try to
    send using a different identity that doesn't have an associated key, it does the same. So it appears that whetever is
    causing this is happening before the code that brings up the window asking for the GPG password.

    > - Do you get any errors in ~/.xsession-errors or when running from the
    > command line?

    No. None at all found in either .xsession-errors or command line.

    > - Does debsums return any errors?

    "debsums kmail" reports all OK.

    > - Are you running KMail standalone or Kontact? Natively in KDE or in
    > some other environment?

    Standalone in KDE.

    I just tried running through Kontact and it causes the same behaviour. Hitting the send button or selecting from the
    menu causes the whole program (that is, both the Kontact and Composer windows are blocked (won't redraw) and won't
    respond).

    > - Does it work as another user?

    The only other user account on this machine is root. Sending as root seems to work (after a slight pause).

    Thanks,
    Brendon

  5. Re: KMail hangs on Send

    Quoting David Mart*nez Moreno :
    > El Lunes, 3 de Octubre de 2005 01:51, Brendon Lloyd Higgins escribió:
    > > Ack! Whenever I try to send a message in KMail (3.4.2-2, Sid) the whole
    > > program freezes, both the composer window and the main window. This

    > happens
    > > both for the "Send Now" and "Send Later" actions, but it doesn't happen

    > for
    > > the "Save to Drafts" action.

    > What about a strace on KMail PID and/or tcpdump in order to see the
    > traffic?

    I discovered something interesting while setting up an strace. It seems that each time KMail freezes it leaves a GPG
    process such as:
    9712 pts/4 SL 0:00 gpg --batch --no-sk-comment --status-fd 23 --no-tty --charset utf8 --enable-progress-filter
    --with-colons --fixed-list-mode --with-fingerprint --with-fingerprint --list-keys --
    59D4A470EEF69DCC525EEBA60937CF0F4530DEAF
    This is regardless of whether or not I tell it to sign (let alone encrypt) the message.

    The end of the strace look like:
    [snip]
    gettimeofday({1128476701, 519511}, NULL) = 0
    ioctl(6, FIONREAD, [0]) = 0
    write(7, "\0", 1) = 1
    pipe([20, 23]) = 0
    fcntl64(20, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC) = 0
    pipe([25, 26]) = 0
    fcntl64(25, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC) = 0
    clone(child_stack=0, flags=CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID|CLONE_CHILD_SETTID|SIGC HLD, child_tidptr=0xb5c85708) = 9711
    --- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ 0 (0) ---
    write(9, "\0", 1) = 1
    sigreturn() = ? (mask now [])
    waitpid(9711, [{WIFEXITED(s) && WEXITSTATUS(s) == 0}], 0) = 9711
    close(23) = 0
    close(26) = 0
    select(26, [20 25], [], NULL, {1, 0}) = 0 (Timeout)
    select(26, [20 25], [], NULL, {1, 0}) = 0 (Timeout)
    select(26, [20 25], [], NULL, {1, 0}) = 0 (Timeout)
    select(26, [20 25], [], NULL, {1, 0}) = 0 (Timeout)
    select(26, [20 25], [], NULL, {1, 0}) = 0 (Timeout)
    ...many more of the same, you get the idea...

    Turning off the GPG plugin completely in the KMail settings seems to fix it! So apparently something is screwed with the
    GPG config. Ideas of where I can start with fixing this?

    Thanks,
    Brendon

  6. Re: KMail hangs on Send

    Brendon Lloyd Higgins wrote (Wednesday 05 October 2005 12:03 pm):
    > Quoting David Mart*nez Moreno :
    > > El Lunes, 3 de Octubre de 2005 01:51, Brendon Lloyd Higgins escribió:
    > > > Ack! Whenever I try to send a message in KMail (3.4.2-2, Sid) the whole
    > > > program freezes, both the composer window and the main window.

    > > What about a strace on KMail PID and/or tcpdump in order to see the
    > > traffic?

    > I discovered something interesting while setting up an strace. It seems
    > that each time KMail freezes it leaves a GPG process such as:
    > [snip]
    > Turning off the GPG plugin completely in the KMail settings seems to fix
    > it! So apparently something is screwed with the GPG config. Ideas of where
    > I can start with fixing this?

    Anyone? I can turn off signing my own messages but I can't figure out how to
    turn off reading GPG info for incoming GPG signed messages. So whenever I get
    a message that's signed and I try to read it, KMail freezes! It's getting
    really irritating, so any help would is appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Brendon

  7. Re: KMail hangs on Send (solved)

    Brendon Lloyd Higgins wrote (Saturday 08 October 2005 2:14 pm):
    > Brendon Lloyd Higgins wrote (Wednesday 05 October 2005 12:03 pm):
    > > Quoting David Mart*nez Moreno :
    > > >
    > > > What about a strace on KMail PID and/or tcpdump in order to see the
    > > > traffic?

    > > I discovered something interesting while setting up an strace. It seems
    > > that each time KMail freezes it leaves a GPG process such as:
    > > [snip]
    > > Turning off the GPG plugin completely in the KMail settings seems to fix
    > > it! So apparently something is screwed with the GPG config. Ideas of
    > > where I can start with fixing this?

    > Anyone? I can turn off signing my own messages but I can't figure out how
    > to turn off reading GPG info for incoming GPG signed messages. So whenever
    > I get a message that's signed and I try to read it, KMail freezes! It's
    > getting really irritating, so any help would is appreciated.

    In case anyone is interested, I've worked out what was happening. While toying
    around with gpg on the command line I noticed that gpg --list-keys kept
    saying "gpg: waiting for lock (held by 6049 - probably dead) ...". This got
    my attention, so I had a look at ps ax and no such process existed.

    Turns out that somehow ~/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg.lock was never removed when some
    other instance died, and this was causing gpg, and thus KMail, to stall. I
    removed that file and everything seems to be kicking back into gear.

    Honestly, that's pretty bad design. Why should gpg not timeout after so many
    tries? Why should KMail not give some sort of notification of what it's
    waiting for? I hope it gets improved.

    Peace,
    Brendon

+ Reply to Thread