KDE 3.4.2 from Debian Unstable - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE 3.4.2 from Debian Unstable - Debian ; Hello, I was using testing (etch) and decided to install KDE 3.4.2 from the Unstable repositry. (I was using GNOME 2.10 from the unstable rep and dist-upgraded to unstable once then re-pinned to testing..) Any way, the installation was successful. ...

  1. KDE 3.4.2 from Debian Unstable

    Hello,

    I was using testing (etch) and decided to install KDE 3.4.2 from the
    Unstable repositry. (I was using GNOME 2.10 from the unstable rep and
    dist-upgraded to unstable once then re-pinned to testing..)

    Any way, the installation was successful. I login to KDE and after the
    selections like themes etc, it freezes when I see the splash screen.. It
    just writes something like process communication (it's Turkish and i
    can't translate it exactly) and stops responding. I can move the mouse
    but can do nothing further. There's no clue in the .xsession-errors file.

    Does anybody have a clue about this ? I heard some people using it
    without any problems.. I'll have to reinstall Debian then..

  2. Re: KDE 3.4.2 from Debian Unstable

    Hi,
    Alper KANAT a écrit :
    [...]
    > Any way, the installation was successful. I login to KDE and after the
    > selections like themes etc, it freezes when I see the splash screen.. It
    > just writes something like process communication (it's Turkish and i
    > can't translate it exactly) and stops responding. I can move the mouse
    > but can do nothing further. There's no clue in the .xsession-errors file.

    You should verify with:

    dpkg -l | grep kde

    the homogeneity of packages version (3.4.2).

    Jody

  3. Re: KDE 3.4.2 from Debian Unstable

    On Saturday 24 September 2005 12:08, Alper KANAT wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I was using testing (etch) and decided to install KDE 3.4.2 from the
    > Unstable repositry. (I was using GNOME 2.10 from the unstable rep and
    > dist-upgraded to unstable once then re-pinned to testing..)
    >
    > Any way, the installation was successful. I login to KDE and after the
    > selections like themes etc, it freezes when I see the splash screen.. It
    > just writes something like process communication (it's Turkish and i
    > can't translate it exactly) and stops responding. I can move the mouse
    > but can do nothing further. There's no clue in the .xsession-errors file.
    >
    > Does anybody have a clue about this ? I heard some people using it
    > without any problems.. I'll have to reinstall Debian then..

    I don't know about the KDE issue but you don't have to re-install. Use one of
    the package management tools, aptitude, dselect, and purge the KDE packages.
    You can run 'deborphan' to find any libraries left behind. You (almost) never
    have to re-install.
    --
    Greg Madden

  4. Re: KDE 3.4.2 from Debian Unstable

    > On Saturday 24 September 2005 12:08, Alper KANAT wrote:
    >>
    >> I was using testing (etch) and decided to install KDE 3.4.2 from the
    >> Unstable repositry. (I was using GNOME 2.10 from the unstable rep and
    >> dist-upgraded to unstable once then re-pinned to testing..)
    >>
    >> Any way, the installation was successful. I login to KDE and after the
    >> selections like themes etc, it freezes when I see the splash screen.. It
    >> just writes something like process communication (it's Turkish and i
    >> can't translate it exactly) and stops responding. I can move the mouse
    >> but can do nothing further. There's no clue in the .xsession-errors file.

    Sounds like a problem with the DCOP server, which requires hal and/or dbus -
    even though there's no physical dependency. Try installing hal (which will
    force dbus, too).
    --
    derek