beware of apt-get upgrade - Debian

This is a discussion on beware of apt-get upgrade - Debian ; Hi all, running Sid and 3.4.2, yesterday I launched apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, something I hadn't done for a while... and I've been reminded why. On reboot, after logging on KDM, KDE wouldn't complete the startup, complaining that /tmp/.ICE-unix ...

  1. beware of apt-get upgrade

    Hi all,
    running Sid and 3.4.2, yesterday I launched apt-get update && apt-get
    upgrade, something I hadn't done for a while... and I've been reminded
    why. On reboot, after logging on KDM, KDE wouldn't complete the
    startup, complaining that /tmp/.ICE-unix didn't belong to root. I
    verified that the directory is deleted at shutdown and recreated by X,
    so I added "mkdir /tmp/.ICE-unix && chown root /tmp/.ICE-unix && chmod
    1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix" to my bootmisc.sh script, and now everything is
    back to normal.

    However, is this approach correct? do you know where this kind of
    operation is usually performed? and why didn't I experience any issue
    until yesterday? I upgraded to 3.4.2 more than a few days ago and all
    was ok.

    cheers
    --
    Giacomo Lacava